Educate me on Smokers please.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
One of you yeahoos posted making home made kielbasa but used a smoker. So I tried on my "new" grill (shoot I need to post that thread) to get to hold to temps that low but was unsuccessful. 160 is about the lowest I can hold it at STEADY.

So, IN THE EVENT I ever kill a deer again, I want to try that person's idea. I know smokers can be electric, wood, pelletized, what have you.

I am NOT going to get like a yodel pellet grill!!

I simply want a true smoker, want it to be made in the USA, and want it to be store able outdoors.

I envision jerky, sausage, kielbasa, maybe even some fish?

Lemme hear your thoughts.

And thank you.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
build something like this in the backyard,,,no muss, no fuss, nothing to rust (much),,,

sh1.jpg

I prefer barrel smokers with an offset firebox. I only use lump charcoal and hickory. Its a little harder to maintain a steady temp but the flavor is awesome. They are pretty inexpensive compared to the pellet smokers and the over priced egg type. I spray the outside with canola oil to keep it from rusting.

Last edited:

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I have both a barrel and a Weston upright propane smoker. Hard to beat my Weston as far as maintaining a consistent low temp though.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I KNOW you have read his adventures just like I have. :D There would be several good posts worth of muss and fuss if he built one of those. But it would be damn good reading.

Isn't that an nch&F archive thread? I don't plan to spend $60 to $100K including injury bills on making Kielbasa! I want one I can either plug in or feed stuff into, and walk away, come back and have great stuff.

Y'all are daring me to burn my neigborhood down!

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Chargriller Akorn. Be patient with it. I’ve had mine a while and sometimes it works in spite of me, sometimes I feel like an idiot using it. But I’ve always had awesome food off it. Especially wings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Sounds like you need a small smokehouse. A small cheap offset smoker will not do what you’re looking for.

An electric cabinet style ‘smoker’ (if it’s got a plug it’s not a €%¥{ smoker;))might be your best bet.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Sounds like you need a small smokehouse. A small cheap offset smoker will not do what you’re looking for.

An electric cabinet style ‘smoker’ (if it’s got a plug it’s not a €%¥{ smoker;))might be your best bet.

I like my electric cabinet style smoker from Bradley. Its not cheap, but the electronic control unit and puck feeder make it pretty hands off.

I would recommend smoking in the Bradley and finishing in the oven inside. Modern ones can go low enough.

Reactions: RBR
I like my electric cabinet style smoker from Bradley. Its not cheap, but the electronic control unit and puck feeder make it pretty hands off.

I would recommend smoking in the Bradley and finishing in the oven inside. Modern ones can go low enough.
How are the electrics at carmalizing a bark? How deep are the smoke rings?

Going Coastal

Eight Pointer
Really can't educate ya much, because I've only been using a smoker for a limited amount of time.
I've got a small portable master built two shelve electric unit. It works well for me.
Like you I am planning on making summer sausage, kielbasa and snack sticks in it.
It has been great for smoking striper and venison.

Screenshot_2020-01-15-20-33-20-1.png

Master built site has a refurbished unit for $50.00
Cheap unit, but works well for me.

Screenshot_2020-01-15-20-07-00.png
Screenshot_2020-01-15-20-09-05-1.png

Screenshot_2020-01-15-20-09-52-1.png

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
How are the electrics at carmalizing a bark? How deep are the smoke rings?

The one I have does a good job on a couple of boston butts. It struggles when I load it down with 30 lbs of summer sausage. I haven't smoked anything other than sausage in it for so long, I don't have any pics of the smoke rings.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Since you stated that you want to stick the food in, walk away and come back to smoked food, then an electric smoker is the easiest to use. Set your temperature and time and then go do something else. No need to keep checking the temperature or adding wood.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
I like my Cajun injector electric. I’m not a smoking enthusiast but I like it for whole chickens, wings, fish...not sure how low it would stay steady, it does fine at 180...

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have a master built propane smoker, it’s cheap and works ok... the next one I’ll get will be the barrel style with the smoke box on the side

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
When I was much younger I gutted a 50's fridge and smoked some amazing meats ans sausages using a concrete block fire pit and a couple of chimney elbows.
You don't have to be fancy, half the fun is eating your experiments. The other half is coming up with your own spices.

strut buster

Eight Pointer
I want one I can either plug in or feed stuff into, and walk away, come back and have great stuff.

https://www.smokin-it.com/

I have the medium size version of this. Did 30 lbs of pepper jack jalapeno smoked sausage this weekend. Realistically, that was probably 5-8 lbs too much, but got it done. You can program up to 6 temp/time stages so it is truly walk away. Can trigger smoker temp changes by meat IT, also.. Real handy for setting and walking away on things like brisket and pork butt, but still prefer smokin on the Kamado Joe for those.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
I dont have the time to devote to smoking stuff old school style. Using an electric smoker and checking on it every hour is about all i can fit in my schedule.

m4ncsu

Ten Pointer
I have a masterbuilt 40 inch electric smoker. It is an upgrade from the 30 inch masterbuilt. I love the capability of being able to set the temp and time and walking away. Having to fidget around keeping the temp steady will grow old quick. I also use a device called a wedgie (will post a link below). I use it for my smoke, just put it right on the bottom shelf of smoker. Will generate smoke for 4 to 6 hours without having to open the smoker and add wood chips. It really is simple. Can turn out some amazing food. Smoked steaks, and then reverse seared on a really hot grill is awesome.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I dont have the time to devote to smoking stuff old school style. Using an electric smoker and checking on it every hour is about all i can fit in my schedule.

If you get a dual probe thermometer, you don't even need to check every hour. I have the Thermopro TP20 thermometer. I put one probe into the meat and I put another probe on a shelf to check to see if the smoker is at the correct temperature. It has a wireless remote where you input the temperature you want and it will beep when the meat is finished. On Sundays, I can sit down and watch a football game without any worries about the meat in the smoker.

https://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-Wi...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have a masterbuilt 40 inch electric smoker. It is an upgrade from the 30 inch masterbuilt. I love the capability of being able to set the temp and time and walking away. Having to fidget around keeping the temp steady will grow old quick. I also use a device called a wedgie (will post a link below). I use it for my smoke, just put it right on the bottom shelf of smoker. Will generate smoke for 4 to 6 hours without having to open the smoker and add wood chips. It really is simple. Can turn out some amazing food. Smoked steaks, and then reverse seared on a really hot grill is awesome.

I have the Sams version of the Masterbuilt and it works well but you're right the chip box is too small. Mine has bluetooth but I've never figured out how to get it to connect to my phone but other than that it works great and no watching the clock. I use the included meat probe and a remote probe as well and it could hardly be easier.