WHAT THE ELL

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
On 13 Jan I went back to OrthoCarolina to discuss spinal issues and scheduling surgery. The Ortho doctor really seemed to know his stuff. He was concerned about the extreme pain I have been having and after observing me walk he stated that he was even more concerned that there seemed to be issues with my hip as well as the stenosis in my spine. He wanted to see a MRI of my hip and scheduled me for the MRI the following day. Yesterday they did that and as soon as the lady finished she told me I needed to call my doctor now and tell him the MRI had been completed and was being read immediately by the radiologist.
I got back to my son's house and called the ortho doctors nurse and relayed the info that the MRI was done and read. Fifteen minutes later the ortho doctor called me wanting to discuss the MRI.
These folks at Ortho Carolina don't screw around!!!!!!
The doctor was very upset with what they were seeing. AppsOrtho in Boone had done 7 x rays and one MRI. at least three of the x rays were of my hip. I know of two trips 500 yards up the side of one of Watauga Counties steep mountains to my condo for night time coyote hunts and one time 20 feet up into a tree stand deer hunting. I have been walking around for two and a half months on a fractured hip. He said stop ALL unnecessary walking, put as little weight on that hip as possible, DO NOT walk without the walker I have been using. And that he was scheduling me an emergency appointment with the hip surgeon in Charlotte for the following day. He expressed concern that he was very surprised that the hip bone had not broken in the time frame that I had been walking with the fracture. He said that he had not done any hip work in over 15 years so was not even going to hazard a guess as to what happens next because he is certain many changes in hip procedures has occurred in 15 years.
At 2130 I got another phone call from the on call ortho doctor who was working with the on call hip doctor to schedule me for the appointment for today. He gave me some more info. Not only is hip fractured but it's really shot (worn out) from arthritis I guess or perhaps just to many miles. I asked him if he was trying to tell me something. He said he was not sure however his bet would be a hip replacement.

I thought about telling him I believed I was way to young to be so worn out that I needed a hip replacement. LOL. So I'm now waiting for the appointment with the hip doctor this afternoon.

Bottom line is DO NOT GET SICK OR NEED AN ORTHO APPOINTMENT AT BOONE APPSORTHO.

i cannot believe this is really happening. The Ortho Carolina doctor told me that the hip problem is not the number one priority however I will still need the back surgery to deal with they are going to starve to death before I ever make it to Fla.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That sounds crazy. On the bright side, it's way better to KNOW what's going on and have good doctors formulate a plan than to be walking around with serious pain and no diagnosis or plan of action.

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
That’s the kind of doctors you want. Not the feel good kind that bring you in for 15 appointments and sugar coat a turd for you. The blunt kind that say this is your problem, this is what needs to happen to fix it, and this is when we’re going to do it. Hopefully they’ll get you straightened out and you’ll feel 20 years younger when it’s all said and done!

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
Right now the focus is on getting better but once the dust settles it may be worth a discussion with a lawyer. Sounds like malpractice on the part of the other ortho but I'm no lawyer.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Hip replacements are frequently done on folks that are much younger than you'd think would be possible. They are no longer a major surgery and rehab is very cut and dried for the most part.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
My buddy who might be 50 now, has had both hips replaced, and looking at getting his first one redone. He is a big lad though and carries a lot of weight around

luckybuck

Old Mossy Horns
On 13 Jan I went back to OrthoCarolina to discuss spinal issues and scheduling surgery. The Ortho doctor really seemed to know his stuff. He was concerned about the extreme pain I have been having and after observing me walk he stated that he was even more concerned that there seemed to be issues with my hip as well as the stenosis in my spine. He wanted to see a MRI of my hip and scheduled me for the MRI the following day. Yesterday they did that and as soon as the lady finished she told me I needed to call my doctor now and tell him the MRI had been completed and was being read immediately by the radiologist.
I got back to my son's house and called the ortho doctors nurse and relayed the info that the MRI was done and read. Fifteen minutes later the ortho doctor called me wanting to discuss the MRI.
These folks at Ortho Carolina don't screw around!!!!!!
The doctor was very upset with what they were seeing. AppsOrtho in Boone had done 7 x rays and one MRI. at least three of the x rays were of my hip. I know of two trips 500 yards up the side of one of Watauga Counties steep mountains to my condo for night time coyote hunts and one time 20 feet up into a tree stand deer hunting. I have been walking around for two and a half months on a fractured hip. He said stop ALL unnecessary walking, put as little weight on that hip as possible, DO NOT walk without the walker I have been using. And that he was scheduling me an emergency appointment with the hip surgeon in Charlotte for the following day. He expressed concern that he was very surprised that the hip bone had not broken in the time frame that I had been walking with the fracture. He said that he had not done any hip work in over 15 years so was not even going to hazard a guess as to what happens next because he is certain many changes in hip procedures has occurred in 15 years.
At 2130 I got another phone call from the on call ortho doctor who was working with the on call hip doctor to schedule me for the appointment for today. He gave me some more info. Not only is hip fractured but it's really shot (worn out) from arthritis I guess or perhaps just to many miles. I asked him if he was trying to tell me something. He said he was not sure however his bet would be a hip replacement.

I thought about telling him I believed I was way to young to be so worn out that I needed a hip replacement. LOL. So I'm now waiting for the appointment with the hip doctor this afternoon.

Bottom line is DO NOT GET SICK OR NEED AN ORTHO APPOINTMENT AT BOONE APPSORTHO.

i cannot believe this is really happening. The Ortho Carolina doctor told me that the hip problem is not the number one priority however I will still need the back surgery to deal with they are going to starve to death before I ever make it to Fla.
At least you know whats going on now! Glad to see you posting again!

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Hope you get to feeling better. Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hips can cause alot of problems. Who knows how you will feel after you get it fixed.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
I agree with Sky hawk, better to know.

Knowing a few who had hips and knees replaced, you are better off with the hip. Much quicker turn around.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
"We can rebuild him. Make him better, stronger, faster...." (Wonder how many on here will get that reference?)
Once you get your bionic eye, you won't need a night vision scope for those coyotes anymore!

Seriously, I'm sorry to hear of all your sudden found troubles. It's a lot to take in at once for you. It's not what you want, but it's what you have. Do like the Doc's and rehab folks say, and you should come out the other end feeling better. Keep us updated on your progress.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
An electrician at a place I used to live asked me to whole a ladder one day. He had a double hip replacement two weeks prior. Depending on the replacement there are minimally invasive procedures that minimize downtimes.

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
If you are ever in need of someone down here in Raleigh these guys are the best in my opinion, Raleigh neurosurgical clinic ,
Dr Timothy Garner, Dr Kenneth Rich, had 4 major back surgery's with them and still kicking.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I said in another thread that Larry is one of if not the toughest person I know.

Larry, I hope they get you straightened out even if it takes two procedures to get it done. Depending on just how the pelvis is fractured, even hip replacement is likely going to still require some time for the pelvis to heal before you can bear weight on that leg. My pelvis was split right down the middle of the ball socket and the 2 plates and 16 screws were there to hold the bone in place while it healed. I was 90 days with no weight on that leg but it did heal up great. No after effects at all.

Keep us posted!

BuzzCut

Ten Pointer
You’re in great hands at OrthoCarolina in Charlotte. They did my total knee replacement 10 years ago.
Wishing you all the best.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
but did the second opinion agree with the first?

surgery w/o a 2nd op is something I won't do

Exactly. It’s gonna take two (that recommend surgery, for me).

I’ve had both shoulders done, but luckily no hips. I’d get someone else to look at it and, if recommended, knock it out.

My only regret with the first shoulder is......waiting so long to have it done.

Good luck.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My daughter works for OrthoCarolina in Charlotte, she's a nurse who does the scheduling of the OR for the Dr's there. It's amazing how much advance there has been in all orthopedic surgery but especially hips and knees. With the MANTA there is very little human contact and chance of contamination or infection and each incision and cut is mapped out precisely. She tells me about the number of folks having hips and knees done and it's just a crazy amount.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Clarification: In my post in the last paragraph it should have read that the hip is NOW the priority over the back surgery.

I appreciate all the well wishes and all the advice. It's pretty obvious what is ahead because all of the comments agree with the assessment of the hip doctor yesterday as well as the conclusion I have reached.

Eric: Wish I had known your daughter works in scheduling. Would have been nice to know that and let her know we are in the same chat. I cant say enough kind words for every one of the people I have been in contact with at OrthoCarolina. Really an outstanding organization. I know they do a tremendous service and there is no lack of patients. Us old worn out folks are keeping them busy. Just wish I could have gotten scheduled for surgery sooner than 14 Feb but having seen the volume of patients I realize that although I'm number one to me, I'm not the only patient they have to take care of. Since I'll be back for scheduling for the spine surgery wouldn't mind knowing which one is your daughter so I could say Hi. I've talked to a couple of them already and have to say all of them have such a cheerful and positive attitude it makes this whole ordeal a lot less stressful.

Heard a couple of my sons talking last night. "You keep him, no you take him, no its your turn, not my turn its your turn" :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: . Seriously both and my grand son have all been very helpful. I have already spent a week with both and now we are discussing who gets to baby sit me next. LOL. I'm with one son in Cornelius (close to Charlotte) for all the recent back and forth with the doctors. His house is a three story (basement, Living area, Upstairs bed room with one bedroom on the ground floor where I'm sleeping) however the two full bathrooms are on the top floor sixteen stair steps up (believe me I have counted them numerous times LOL). My other son lives in Sumter, SC and his home is one story. Not really hard to decide which THEY think is best for me, notwithstanding the fact that I was climbing mountains and trees with these same conditions even after the problems surfaced LOL. I guess I can say pay back is hell. LOL But must add its extremely reassuring that they both are more than happy to put up with me.

To add icing to the cake I just had a video conference with my daughter in Mexico City. She wants in "on the baby sitting" so she is heading to NC to make sure OrthoCarolina does the surgery correct and that her brothers take care of me properly. LOL. She has to go back to Spain in March to sell the last home there since her mother has now passed away. She decided to begin that journey about a month early just to spend time with all of us before going to Spain Looking forward to her visit and two granddaughters I have seen practically every day in video chats. While video chats are awesome in noway do they replace holding them in my arms. Haven't held the oldest in almost two years and never held the 5 month old one. Not going to say I'd go thru this just to get to hold them but doggone tempting. LOL.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'll find out the Drs she schedules for and let you know. I do know she schedules in the Novant suites. Her name is Jennifer M.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well I am wrong, she works with Novant orthopedic group, no longer with OrthoCarolina.Pm me for some information you may want to hear about their practice if you know the Drs name.
She said she was still in touch with their surgeons and knows their work.
Can't hurt to have the scoop.
Of course she said her Dr's were the best.

Last edited:

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Eric I havent been on the forum in so long there are a lot of changes I still havent figured out. I just started a "conversation" with you. That is the closest thing I could find/figure out to the PM's in the sites "previous" life. LOL. Hopefully it was the right way to contact you. I sure would be beholding for any help I could get. Pain is getting worse and sleeping two hours or less a night just isn't hacking it. I'm very much interested in being placed on a stand by list if possible in case someone cancels out before 14 Feb. I explained in the conversation.
Last night was the worst pain since this whole ordeal began the last week of October. I'm really wondering if I'm going to be able to endure this much longer. I cannot remain in any one position for more than a couple of minutes without experiencing so much pain I have to move. If I don't move the pain continues to increase.
The first 14 minutes in the "tube" during the MRI until their computer stopped working was as much pain as I have ever had and I was ready to squeeze the little rubber ball for help. Somehow the second try was not near as painful until about the last five minutes (hour and a half or so it seemed to me). I didn't give up my man card and scream but tears were running down my face both times when they pulled me out of that tube.
Bad as I was hurting I felt so sorry for those two ladies running the machines because it was obvious their concern for me was authentic. Their felt my pain and it was very much evident in their faces and their actions.

NCdoe

Ten Pointer
Larry, I am so sorry you are having to go thru this. At least you now know what you are dealing with and that help is on the way. Keeping you in my prayers for speedy surgery and complete recovery.

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
Larry, is it your back or hip that is causing you such unbearable pain right now?
I pray you can get some relief soon.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Right now its my hip and both the spine doctor and the hip doctors have agreed that the most urgent problem is hip because they are afraid it could wind up breaking. In fact the spine doctor said he was surprised it had not already broken due to the time it has been fractured and the crazy things I've done since. :oops::oops::oops::oops:

luckybuck

Old Mossy Horns
Eric I havent been on the forum in so long there are a lot of changes I still havent figured out. I just started a "conversation" with you. That is the closest thing I could find/figure out to the PM's in the sites "previous" life. LOL. Hopefully it was the right way to contact you. I sure would be beholding for any help I could get. Pain is getting worse and sleeping two hours or less a night just isn't hacking it. I'm very much interested in being placed on a stand by list if possible in case someone cancels out before 14 Feb. I explained in the conversation.
Last night was the worst pain since this whole ordeal began the last week of October. I'm really wondering if I'm going to be able to endure this much longer. I cannot remain in any one position for more than a couple of minutes without experiencing so much pain I have to move. If I don't move the pain continues to increase.
The first 14 minutes in the "tube" during the MRI until their computer stopped working was as much pain as I have ever had and I was ready to squeeze the little rubber ball for help. Somehow the second try was not near as painful until about the last five minutes (hour and a half or so it seemed to me). I didn't give up my man card and scream but tears were running down my face both times when they pulled me out of that tube.
Bad as I was hurting I felt so sorry for those two ladies running the machines because it was obvious their concern for me was authentic. Their felt my pain and it was very much evident in their faces and their actions.
I understand that kind of pain...cancer was a real MF to me and the scans, surgeries, psychological issues from it all were pretty bad. I like to think I am normal but I often question myself....praying for you buddy bone pain sucks!!!!!! Heavy duty ibuprofen was all that would keep the severe pain subdued...