DIY Electric Bike - how to?

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
hi guys, I'm interested in the concept of an electric bike for hunting, but I am not interested in the current 1k -2k+ price tags.

I've did a little research and it looks like there are a few kinds - Front wheel drive, rear wheel driven and Mid drive. It appears that mid drive is the most complex/expensive so that might be out - but before I dug deeper I wanted to see if anyone has ever built either kind, and if they were happy with the end results.

I dont think it matters, but building it on a fat tire mountain bike, vs standard width wheels.

I know there are some crafty folks on here, so hoping someone has built a DIY electric bike and can save me alot of aggravation with some helpful pointers or starting points.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
You can buy the controller and batteries on Ebay. Then you need a motor and mount it in place of the front sprocket

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would love one. Got ruined years ago long range running using a golf cart for locating early morning birds. I know Woodmoose it was cheating, but your boys on your stomping grounds taught me. LOL

Man it was stealthy on them sand roads, you could cover some ground.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Yeap, they love them down there
I still burn boot leather but when I save enough may have to get me one

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeap, they love them down there
I still burn boot leather but when I save enough may have to get me one
If I hunted down there without a doubt I would have one. After joining this second club down your way I have considered it but can't justify it no more than I turkey hunt anymore.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Since it's all flat "down there" why would you need battery power?

• ever ride a pedal bike in soft sand?
  • they ride 2, 3 people together (buddies) and more fun for them to all ride in one vehicle (golf cart)
  • lazy
  • easier to carry a dead turkey or three on a cart than a bike
  • have over head cover for when it rains
  • and I am sure there are other reasons

that's why they do it

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
  • ever ride a pedal bike in soft sand?
  • they ride 2, 3 people together (buddies) and more fun for them to all ride in one vehicle (golf cart)
  • lazy
  • easier to carry a dead turkey or three on a cart than a bike
  • have over head cover for when it rains
  • and I am sure there are other reasons

that's why they do it
^^^^^^^^^ All of the above. With heavy emphasis on lazy and I can.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
How would one of these do in mountainous terrain? Riding on roads of course.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
How would one of these do in mountainous terrain? Riding on roads of course.

I think that is part of what I was trying to find out. Some models dont do well on hills, where as others do. I wanted to get one mainly for scouting, but I also hunt a farm farm and to get to the wooded timber we need to ride about a half mile down a dirt road - no ATVs allowed during season is a club rule. Walking in a half mile is not that bad, but there are times when I cant get there till late and it really helps in terms of freeing up more time to get into the stand. I actually started using my daughters mountain bike ( LOLOL) and, maybe its just coinidence, but I saw the two biggest bucks I saw all year when using that approach. Not only does it save time, but it also minimizes scent and noise. However, using your daughters bike really dents your wood 'cred.' :ROFLMAO:

In terms of scouting, I have next to no time to scout in the offseason, so this will help me cover more ground during those limited opportunities.

The one downfall is that it probably wont be that usefull when dragging a deer out, but I will live with that as I usually only get 1-2 deer a year anyway.

That is why I, personally, am looking for a electric bike vs an ATV or golf cart. As an added bonus, I could bring it along on camping trips and beach trips with the family.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
One on Wilmington Craigslist that says it needs a battery $300

Thanks....wish I were a little closer. I found a fat tire bike for sale on offer up for 300 in the Charlotte area...its a nice bike but that puts me at 300 before I even get the motor, battery and throttle components so trying to hold out for something a little cheaper.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'd attach my 2 wheeled deer cart to my bike and ride in on the dirt roads in the management areas in Florida, some were soft sand and it was as much pushing as riding. The cart carried my climbing stand and a small cooler with lunch and drinks.
If I killed a deer the bike went on top of the deer that I was toting out because pulling a deer cart with a pedal bike on sand roads is impossible, but it worked for years both deer hunting and turkey hunting. A plain ol single speed beach cruiser was what I had but one of the fat tire 3 speeds would have been great to have.

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
Was talking with my buddy the other day about this. We are both in our 50s but when I was younger and in better shape the most groundbreaking hunting tool I had was a pedal powered mtn bike I got at a yard sale. It made turkey and bowhunting on Butner falls of Neuse gamelands awesome. Quiet, not prohibited behind locked gates, and I could cover alot of ground farther than most people wanted to walk. I was telling my buddy about this and he was talking about possibly makingone like you are talking about. He is a professional mechanic so if he follows thru I'll post back. FWIW i told him he could probably buy one for what it would cost him to source and build it.