Chicken Bog

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
Of all the meals I cook, my family goes nuts every time I cook a bog. This recipe was given to me by a friend’s mother who grew up Gullah. My family has been cooking this dish for over 150 years. They like this one better than our own family recipe.
aa800c2ef5e34b945e9a264f5627bb5a.jpg
0de17160e73056e68063a5ca6f19a366.jpg

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
a marion county sc staple with my friends there . I love it.
Your friend's mother's recipe must be popular because that sure looks familiar.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Of all the meals I cook, my family goes nuts every time I cook a bog. This recipe was given to me by a friend’s mother who grew up Gullah. My family has been cooking this dish for over 150 years. They like this one better than our own family recipe.
aa800c2ef5e34b945e9a264f5627bb5a.jpg
0de17160e73056e68063a5ca6f19a366.jpg

you know us fat boys need the recipe to go with the pictures.

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
8 chicken thighs skin on
3 Carolina Pride smoked sausage links
2 yellow onions
4 cups white rice
4 bay leaves
1 Ts salt
1 Ts pepper
1 Ts Garlic
2 Ts Slap Ya Mamma
1/2 stick butter
32 oz of broth

Add all ingredients to pot except for sausage and rice. I remove the skin from the chicken and fry it to eat while cooking.

Slice and add the sausage to the chicken skin grease and remove the chicken skin
Cook the sausage till light brown
I add the grease in the rice later.

Slow Boil the chicken for 45 mins
And remove the chicken and shred and set aside

Add the rice and sausage to the pot and simmer for 30 mins.

Add the chicken and serve.

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
we pretty much have chicken bog every weekend at Wahee,,,,once in a while we cook up a hog,,,but other than that - bog,,,

22LR

Twelve Pointer
I grew up on that stuff, when my parents lived in South Carolina they learned how to make it from the locals. Thanks for sharing!

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
Growing up in southeastern NC it is a staple of life as well. We prefer Penders smoked sausage in ours. I have had it cooked so many different ways. Every little community down that way and into SC seem to have their own little "specialty" version. Still one of my favorite meals. My dad cooks me one about once a month at least.

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
Showing off those SC roots! I made it for a potluck back in July and nobody at my job ever heard of it before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep I’ve been in NC for 5 years now and love it but SC will always be home.

Growing up in southeastern NC it is a staple of life as well. We prefer Penders smoked sausage in ours. I have had it cooked so many different ways. Every little community down that way and into SC seem to have their own little "specialty" version. Still one of my favorite meals. My dad cooks me one about once a month at least.

Agreed every community has their on flair to it. And if you want to see how much it differs check out the Loris Bog Off.

fishhunt365

We always called it perlo. Regardless of what you call it we have it twice a month. Dont matter if its 98 outside or 18.

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
Perlo is what fancy people call it, perleau is what the gullah call it, and bog is what we rednecks call it. Hahahaha I’ve eaten all three and no real difference.

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
Yep I’ve been in NC for 5 years now and love it but SC will always be home.

Agreed every community has their on flair to it. And if you want to see how much it differs check out the Loris Bog Off.

My mother and her family are from Loris. My dad is from Columbus county just across the state line in NC. That is one reason I am familiar with how different it is from community to community.

strut buster

Eight Pointer
Serious question, not knocking this, but is this as good as a real cajun jambalaya? Looks fairly similar except this doesn't use the technique of creating the gratin which is is where all the flavor and color of jambalaya comes from. Curious to try, but I might be too set in my deep south ways.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Serious question, not knocking this, but is this as good as a real cajun jambalaya? Looks fairly similar except this doesn't use the technique of creating the gratin which is is where all the flavor and color of jambalaya comes from. Curious to try, but I might be too set in my deep south ways.

no,,bog is no where near jambalaya

you must make it different than what I have had if you have gratin on it,,,,

the flavor comes from the roux, the spices and file, the trinity, and the meat!

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer

Yep they are nothing alike and a jambalaya is all about the roux. Which I have a killer recipe for.

strut buster

Eight Pointer

You must be thinking about gumbo. Jambalaya has no roux or file. I might not know much, but i know cajun food. You end up with something similar to a roux from cooking down the meat, adding some sort of liquid to release the gratin from the bottom of the pot and doing that multiple times over, but you never add flour like a gumbo roux.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
You must be thinking about gumbo.

nope,,,,like you, I know the difference

roux comes in all manner of forms,,,heck you even mention roux after saying you don't use roux
file not always, but only used if a bit of thickening needed that rice didn't take care of

I don't cook it much,,some here at home,,,,I eat mostly down on Pecan Island,,,it's what the cajun's at my SWLA duck camp cook,,,of the 18 members three own cajun restaurants or catering businesses,,,,they get tired of cooking at camp but we do all the other heavy lifting/work so they get arm twisted

we eat good

anyhow, I was just thrown by your use of the term gratin - just never heard it used with jambalaya,,but that's my ignorance that has now been corrected - thank you

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
That’s why people will eat 4-5 bowls in a day. The rice will fill them up and an hour later it’s gone and the hunger is back.

strut buster

Eight Pointer
nope,,,,like you, I know the difference

roux comes in all manner of forms,,,heck you even mention roux after saying you don't use roux
file not always, but only used if a bit of thickening needed that rice didn't take care of

I don't cook it much,,some here at home,,,,I eat mostly down on Pecan Island,,,it's what the cajun's at my SWLA duck camp cook,,,of the 18 members three own cajun restaurants or catering businesses,,,,they get tired of cooking at camp but we do all the other heavy lifting/work so they get arm twisted

we eat good

anyhow, I was just thrown by your use of the term gratin - just never heard it used with jambalaya,,but that's my ignorance that has now been corrected - thank you

I can imagine how good the food is at the duck camp. I spent 7 years in Baton Rouge and made it a point to learn from as many locals as I could, the older the better. Grew up in the MS delta in the heart of the ArkLaMS and we had a similar culture but closer to the North LA vs South LA styles, more game and sausage bases vs. seafood. I bet you have heard the term gratin, but it doesn't sound like its written. Pronounced gra-TAWn with the n barely heard. Never cooked around a cajun when they didn't say it. Making boudin this weekend. I'll post a pick.

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
I can imagine how good the food is at the duck camp. I spent 7 years in Baton Rouge and made it a point to learn from as many locals as I could, the older the better. Grew up in the MS delta in the heart of the ArkLaMS and we had a similar culture but closer to the North LA vs South LA styles, more game and sausage bases vs. seafood. I bet you have heard the term gratin, but it doesn't sound like its written. Pronounced gra-TAWn with the n barely heard. Never cooked around a cajun when they didn't say it. Making boudin this weekend. I'll post a pick.

Boudin is my absolute favorite :donk:donk:donk:donk on earth and I don’t care how it’s made I will put it away