357 Rem Max

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Anyone here that can ream a single shot 357 Mag to 357 Max for me? I can order a rental reamer but I'd rather support local if possible.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
If Baxter or other long time 'smiths don't have the reamer. ..
I'd call the gunsmith schools in Troy and Roxboro and ask if they have it and can do it. These type jobs are highly supervised so nothing goes wrong, while a student learns. USUALLY, an instructor does the work while students learn to "re-chamber".
At least that's how is went when I attended Montgomery CC in Troy.
My instructors defected to begin the Piedmont Gunsmithing school in Roxboro by the early 90's.
No fee is charged but "donations" are accepted.
I had a small revolver engraved by a Troy student about '92 which turned out beautiful.
They were teaching firearm engraving back then.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
If Baxter or other long time 'smiths don't have the reamer. ..
I'd call the gunsmith schools in Troy and Roxboro and ask if they have it and can do it. These type jobs are highly supervised so nothing goes wrong, while a student learns. USUALLY, an instructor does the work while students learn to "re-chamber".
At least that's how is went when I attended Montgomery CC in Troy.
My instructors defected to begin the Piedmont Gunsmithing school in Roxboro by the early 90's.
No fee is charged but "donations" are accepted.
I had a small revolver engraved by a Troy student about '92 which turned out beautiful.
They were teaching firearm engraving back then.

By chance did you know Walter at MCC in the gunsmithing department?

<>< Fish

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have a factory made H&R Handy Gun II nickel plated 357 Remington Maximum barrel and matching receiver enroute. Shopping a stock set now. Everything I've found is this caliber really like 180 gr and 200 gr bullets. Anyone have some loads to share.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I have a factory made H&R Handy Gun II nickel plated 357 Remington Maximum barrel and matching receiver enroute. Shopping a stock set now. Everything I've found is this caliber really like 180 gr and 200 gr bullets. Anyone have some loads to share.
Very nice.
I have been thinking about the same thing with a TC encore barrel.
Last I looked the reamers were in the 125 to 150 range.
They are easy to hand ream.
I guess you did not find a reamer?

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Very nice.
I have been thinking about the same thing with a TC encore barrel.
Last I looked the reamers were in the 125 to 150 range.
They are easy to hand ream.
I guess you did not find a reamer?

I'll tear a car apart in a minute but I don't trust myself with stuff like reaming a chamber. Found this barrel/receiver just being in the right place at the right time. Pics below. I'm going to replace that Weaver rail with a Leupold rail. Or maybe a Williams peep sight.

Last edited:

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have Remington brass and Hornady 180 gr XTP's on the way. Any powder suggestions? Not a lot of data online...

v8stang289

Twelve Pointer
Did you already have a .357 mag barrel before you got the max? or were you planning on buying one and reaming it? I ask because I'm looking for a .357mag handi rifle barrel

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Did you already have a .357 mag barrel before you got the max? or were you planning on buying one and reaming it? I ask because I'm looking for a .357mag handi rifle barrel

I have a complete 357 Mag rifle also. Was thinking of reaming and tripped across this one factory made. I know where there are two complete 357 mags that were reamed to Maxi for sale.

v8stang289

Twelve Pointer
Ok gotcha. Do you happen to know if either of them have iron sights? That's what i really want, but they seem to be hard to find.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have Remington brass and Hornady 180 gr XTP's on the way. Any powder suggestions? Not a lot of data online...
My book has several pages of data. Too many to photo and post here. I can stop by the shop and let you copy it, but will not be down there until after the holidays, probably a month or more.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My book has several pages of data. Too many to photo and post here. I can stop by the shop and let you copy it, but will not be down there until after the holidays, probably a month or more.

That would be awesome and greatly appreciated! I just mailed the money out for it yesterday so I don't expect the gun to arrive until after the holidays.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
That would be awesome and greatly appreciated! I just mailed the money out for it yesterday so I don't expect the gun to arrive until after the holidays.
Also, Clark Bros. in Warrenton, VA used to have some factory ammo FS in their vintage section, have not looked lately. I'll be going by there, could check for you. If interested you could PM me your phone # in case I no longer have it.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Question for you gurus. I have a Smith 686. I’ve never checked serial numbers on it. I shoot 158gr .38s and 158grain 357s if I’m shooting targets.

I hunt with the 125 grain Remington....don’t remember the designation. They are copper plated with flat lead on the front. The deer haven’t liked them. I try to limit those in that gun. Maybe a cylinder a year just to check the sights. I know the 125s are bad for some of the revolvers.

if shooting a rifle or TC like you guys are talking, does that eliminate the issue?

I know the blackhawks in 357 max were discontinued because of Folks shooting 125s in them.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
May have more.
When youn get down to a bullet grn and type if powder I will dig into more books.

I'll be loading Hornady 180 gr XTP. I have H110 and 2400. It looks like AA1680 is a good one. I've read@ little about Lil Gun and 300 MP but see no data. Does your book list a barrel length for the velocities?

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Question for you gurus. I have a Smith 686. I’ve never checked serial numbers on it. I shoot 158gr .38s and 158grain 357s if I’m shooting targets.

I hunt with the 125 grain Remington....don’t remember the designation. They are copper plated with flat lead on the front. The deer haven’t liked them. I try to limit those in that gun. Maybe a cylinder a year just to check the sights. I know the 125s are bad for some of the revolvers.

if shooting a rifle or TC like you guys are talking, does that eliminate the issue?

I know the blackhawks in 357 max were discontinued because of Folks shooting 125s in them.

I don't see an issue stated in your post. Assuming bullets pulling loose And locking the cylinde?? They do in my gf's Lady Smith. That thing recoils violently with 357's. I keep 38 +p in it now, they are much more shootable. No onto rifles. My experience with 357 Magnum is 158's work best if you want an exit even on big deer. If your gonna wait for a broadside or neck shot the 125's give more hydrostatic shock. Velocities really crank up over handguns.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don't see an issue stated in your post. Assuming bullets pulling loose And locking the cylinde?? They do in my gf's Lady Smith. That thing recoils violently with 357's. I keep 38 +p in it now, they are much more shootable. No onto rifles. My experience with 357 Magnum is 158's work best if you want an exit even on big deer. If your gonna wait for a broadside or neck shot the 125's give more hydrostatic shock. Velocities really crank up over handguns.

.30 caliber is about the biggest thing I have ever shot outside of muzzleloaders. The .357 seems to hit deer very hard. I know it is impossible, but I have seen them get hit and it looks like they are knocked on the ground. In reality, it’s probably breaking a bone or something. I don’t remember the 125s not exiting, but I have never shot anything big. All shots within 25 yards.

mid a .357 in a rifle running 1800-2000fps?