Wild Boar or Escapee

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Had this hog show up on our lease this week. Never seen or had a pic of a pig before. So far he is the only one

Attachments

• image000000_15.jpg
    image000000_15.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 174
  • image000000_16.jpg
    image000000_16.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 172

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I was afraid of that. Never seen a sign of pigs in 5 years.
5-6 years ago was when they first were "heard" of here. With a little help from their "friends" they have flourished. There are pockets of them here that they are absolutely overrun with them, primarily along the river. Soon as deer season is out they will be seen more higher up as people quit baiting and they have to move more for food. That has been the trend every year.

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
5-6 years ago was when they first were "heard" of here. With a little help from their "friends" they have flourished. There are pockets of them here that they are absolutely overrun with them, primarily along the river. Soon as deer season is out they will be seen more higher up as people quit baiting and they have to move more for food. That has been the trend every year.
This is less than 1 mile from Wadesboro and Hwy 74. We are gonna ramp up efforts to kill him. I had hoped he was a domestic on the run

Wild pig and most likely not alone. You will get pics of more and more every year. Sows usually have 8 to 10 piglets at a time sometimes 2 times a year. You do the math. We realized they were here to stay and you can hunt them 24/7 365. Gives us something to hunt in the off season. Not ideal but we try to make the best of it.

Last edited:

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
They've been in that area for quite a while. 14 years ago I did some work for a a guy down off of White store rd. He had a few mounted that he shot behind his house.

Just to add he offered me to shoot one for a price. Like Lasttombstone said./

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They've been in that area for quite a while. 14 years ago I did some work for a a guy down off of White store rd. He had a few mounted that he shot behind his house.

Just to add he offered me to shoot one for a price. Like Lasttombstone said./
I had some friends dogging them in that area over 10 years ago. Sadly like here they had plenty of help from their "friends" in that area also. I'll never understand folks seeding them damn things.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
I took out one about that same size yesterday in Richmond county...stinking arse boar. I got another one last Saturday in front of pack of deer hounds. I had 15 on my camera last night.

Right after I posted the above my buddy has one of the cellular cameras was at camp when his phone started going off...about 20 pigs was hitting his feeder, so he slipped in there with night vision and took out one last night at 75 yards...another big boar.

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
some guys I hunt with some run hogs with dogs in Anson county every spring/summer - weekly,,,,

Panthera

Eight Pointer
Hogs that run wild begin to revert back to the wild boar ancestor after a few generations. There are wild boar in six mountain counties that escaped from some kind of hunting sanctuary back in the early 1900s. These are the true wild boar. Most of the state has wild hogs now.
I know the feral hogs are not regulated, but the Eurasian boars in the mountains may be.

Panthera

Eight Pointer
Your hog is a feral. Long snout and legs. Probably was the third or fourth wild generation, and there are almost certainly others there.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I know they were at one time. That's why I said MAY BE.

if you read the regs each year you'd know they haven't been in a few years,,,,but hey....they MAY BE protected in some way that I am unaware,,,