Been involved in situations where it was close, but folks it is a damn deer......................................

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
Not just deer hunting. Anything in life anymore. Small minded people try to deprive others of something, just because the small minded person finds something "offensive".
And the PC crap crowd has to jump in because its on bookface, twatter, and whatever else is out there.
That right there^.

Related- when NY state allowed snagging for Salmon I witness 2 guys on either side of the river snag the same fish. They both tried to reel the other across the river and eventually the fish broke loose of both of them. After many words they met on the bridge and duked it out until a game warden showed up and hauled them both off. Over a half rotted fish.

JLove1974

Twelve Pointer
Yep.

Over a........well, you know.

Woman, car, drugs you name it. The deer themselves fight to the death over territory and other reasons.

Until you know the circumstances this is just another shooting that happens to be during deer season. Probably some history between all parties involved

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Dead men tell no lies.... doesn't look like there have been any updates. Really Sad that people would kill each other over a hunting dispute.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Woman, car, drugs you name it. The deer themselves fight to the death over territory and other reasons.

Until you know the circumstances this is just another shooting that happens to be during deer season. Probably some history between all parties involved

None of my comments refer to the OP’s original story.

My comments (all of them) are “in-general”.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Anyone heard any updates about this? The way I read the original story, the man and woman killed had the same last name and approximately the same age, so I'm assuming they were husband and wife.
I'd just like to know what the reason for this really was; an argument about a deer, or lease rights? I'd almost bet it's been a long-term, ongoing dispute.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Argument was over a lease in some way.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
When I was a teen getting clapped wasnt something any of us wanted. Getting strapped usually involved Daddy's belt.

🎼I'm readin' Street Slang For Dummies
Cause they put pop in my country
I want more for my money

The way it was back then
Back when a hoe was a hoe
Coke was a coke
And crack's what you were doing
When you were cracking jokes
Back when a screw was a screw
The wind was all that blew
And when you said I'm down with that
Well it meant you had the flu
I miss back when

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
What are you saying? A hunting lease isn’t your house or car.

Im saying you're taking your life in your hands when you come onto my property and accost me for any reason. Also the more often you do it, the riskier it gets.

I'm also saying that people who roll over and play dead hoping the aggressive trespassers go away are likely to get more trespassing. You get what you tolerate.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Im saying you're taking your life in your hands when you come onto my property and accost me for any reason. Also the more often you do it, the riskier it gets.

I'm also saying that people who roll over and play dead hoping the aggressive trespassers go away are likely to get more trespassing. You get what you tolerate.
But this was a lease, an argument pertaining to leased property.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I leased my apartment. No different. I'm not interested in squeamishness here. Bottom line: If you aren't supposed to be on my property (defined as property I own or lease), then get the hell off of it.
It is different. If I catch someone in my house that's a lot different than if I catch them on my land.

But even still, how do you know this wasn't an argument about who leased what, or property lines, or recovering a dead deer? Don't know about West Virginia but I've hunted several states that allow trespass to recover a wounded deer (you can't carry a weapon.) I've hunted another that the Game Warden has the legal right to enter the property to search for a wounded deer and the landowner couldn't do much about it.

It sounds a lot like a "Whose on first?" argument to me.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Due to piss poor reporting we don't know anything about what happened or why. My comment was a general one stating that I understand how it happens. One group pushes the boundaries and another group pushes back. I elaborated that going submissive to aggression by rationalizing it as 'just a deer' does not do one any favors.

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
I've seen both sides. From a guy in Wyoming telling us public land was his and threatening us with a wrench while we held guns........

To all the other guys in our very competitive hunting club that had chased a very nice deer through three counties shooting at it make SURE I got the kill after I had knocked it down. They were all so excited FOR me. It was a great group of guys and a day I will never forget.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Due to piss poor reporting we don't know anything about what happened or why. My comment was a general one stating that I understand how it happens. One group pushes the boundaries and another group pushes back. I elaborated that going submissive to aggression by rationalizing it as 'just a deer' does not do one any favors.
"Not Backing Down" doesn't mean killing two people over (well, you know...) Our courts are there for a reason.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Isn’t that rationalizing the aggression? One beget the other.

No. But, it hopefully points out how stupid some people act over a deer 🙂

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Arguments over a deer are no different from arguments over a woman or money or thievery. I'm not going to go out of my way to kill someone...but if they leave me no choice...well...Im not going to curl up in a fetal position because its just a deer. That's all Im saying. Aggression is aggression regardless of motivation...self defense is self defense.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Still waiting to hear what the facts of this story are; its hard to believe that someone would kill two people over something so trivial as an argument about a deer lease. But I do know one thing with certainty:

The individual who killed this couple has, with certainty, has changed his life forever. Even if he is legally cleared of murder / manslaughter charges (a big IF), he most certainly will face a wrongful death civil suit from the surviving family members. The financial burden alone will be staggering, let alone living with the fact that you've killed two people. The shooter's not only ruined his life, but the lives of his wife and children.

All because he lost control of himself for a moment.

Over a deer lease.