11 pt in my backyard...

MtnMan

Ten Pointer
Well, I used to regularly shoot deer from my backporch.

But I gave it up when the wife said it was too hard on her nerves, anticipating when the 7mm mag might go off......

(Was nice being near the coffee pot, though).

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
( Was nice being near the coffee pot though ) . And the bathroom . Or did you pee off the porch like I do ?

How well do you know your neighbors? Get elected President of the home owners association. Vote it into the covenants to be legal. Hell they tell you what color you can paint your house, use the rules to your advantage. :ROFLMAO:

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
It’s illegal to discharge any type of projectile inside the charlotte city limits. Technically you are not allowed to target shoot a bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same in Winston-Salem and Greensboro too. No guns, bows or even BB guns.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
It’s illegal to discharge any type of projectile inside the charlotte city limits. Technically you are not allowed to target shoot a bow.

There's a rifle range on the road to my parents house in the Charlotte city limits. I wonder how that is. Isn't there a couple of indoor ranges in Charlotte too ? Not sure if Mecklenburg wildlife club has been taken into the city limits yet, I know they have an outdoor range.

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
There's a rifle range on the road to my parents house in the Charlotte city limits. I wonder how that is. Isn't there a couple of indoor ranges in Charlotte too ? Not sure if Mecklenburg wildlife club has been taken into the city limits yet, I know they have an outdoor range.

Read section “b”
The rifle range by the airport was established before being annexed into the city limits. Wildlife Club is not inside city limits
24ab4d6786f2bf3bdf8d656928550e33.jpg

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Read section “b”
The rifle range by the airport was established before being annexed into the city limits. Wildlife Club is not inside city limits
24ab4d6786f2bf3bdf8d656928550e33.jpg

Ok.
Among several other reasons, this is just 1 more reason I will never live in Mecklenburg Co. again.
Legislating people into sheep.
I'm a wolf. I guess I belong out in the boondocks where I live.

And yes, I guess it's better that those deer get big, and bigger. Enormous even. Just to be run over in the road by someone on a cell phone while driving. Or, worse yet.... big buck sees it's reflection in a bay window or sliding glass door and breaks through it. Possible such an incident could hurt a person, maybe even a child. Yep. I guess that's better than someone eating the animal.

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
Ok.
Among several other reasons, this is just 1 more reason I will never live in Mecklenburg Co. again.
Legislating people into sheep.
I'm a wolf. I guess I belong out in the boondocks where I live.

And yes, I guess it's better that those deer get big, and bigger. Enormous even. Just to be run over in the road by someone on a cell phone while driving. Or, worse yet.... big buck sees it's reflection in a bay window or sliding glass door and breaks through it. Possible such an incident could hurt a person, maybe even a child. Yep. I guess that's better than someone eating the animal.

Hate to say it but there is nowhere in the city limits that is feasible to allow hunting. You can not honestly think this would be a good idea from a safety standpoint. I get to watch huge deer everyday in my neighborhood. Some I would love to have on the wall but who wants to shoot deer you can walk right up to.
There could possibly be some organized control hunts in the greenways and floodplains bit it will never happen. One mishap and the city gets sued for allowing/organizing it to happen.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Hate to say it but there is nowhere in the city limits that is feasible to allow hunting. You can not honestly think this would be a good idea from a safety standpoint. I get to watch huge deer everyday in my neighborhood. Some I would love to have on the wall but who wants to shoot deer you can walk right up to.
There could possibly be some organized control hunts in the greenways and floodplains bit it will never happen. One mishap and the city gets sued for allowing/organizing it to happen.

You are right. It can never happen in America. Land of the offended.
It happens year round in the UK. They have plenty of problems, but there is a deer season year round.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer

I can think of numerous places in the city limits where you could hunt and no one would know and the deer would stay on said tract of land. Big wooded tracts north of 85 off Brookshire, going out Freedom west of 85, large areas around the airport, a huge chunk of land between Tyvola, Arrowood, 49 and 77, large areas around Westinghouse and 485, etc. Not to mention the 5-10 acre tracts I’ve been on while working. Urban Archery should be an option, but City Council won’t even entertain it for a vote if I remember correctly in regards to what they said the other year when someone mentioned it to them. Not like it would pass anyway with the current makeup, even the lone damn libertarian on there at the time wasn’t sure about it. Glad I lived in an unicorporated area by the river and Mountain Island when I was in Mecklenburg but also glad I sold my house for more than I paid when I built it and live in Haywood now.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Last week I saw a thick 8 pter chasing a doe in my front yard and this weekend a massive 11 pter casually guarding an estrus doe in my backyard. Got within 15 yards (higher ground, fenced...safely) and he gave zero shits. I don't see much deer when I go LARPING through the woods with a rifle, but I can always count on seeing cool stuff in the neighborhood.

About a mile from the South Park Mall for location reference. These deer sure do have it good...
My daughter lives in Meadowbrook just Southeast of the mall about that distance and they're overrun by them daily. The gully/draw behind her house feeds into McMullen Ck., then that into McAlpine into Sugar and on into SC so they have a nearly unbroken avenue all the way to the Catawba.

I have some video here somewhere of a hoss 10 point taken off her back deck.

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
You are right. It can never happen in America. Land of the offended.
It happens year round in the UK. They have plenty of problems, but there is a deer season year round.

I suggest you move to the UK if you like their system better. Don’t know what you mean by land of the offended in connection to this? Sounds like you are butt hurt that your not allowed to hunt in the largest metropolitan area in the state.
To be honest with you, it’s likely guys with your attitude that makes it impossible to even consider a permit hunt here.

And yes I realize there are some large chunks of land around that are still undeveloped. However, they are mostly private owned. You can’t think that the city has the right to just say they are open for hunting.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Of course they have no say, but landowners with adequate should be allowed to hunt themselves or allow others permission to hunt their land. I already know tracts of land are being hunted in city limits due to stands I’ve seen and what not, so it’s already taking place regardless of an ordinance, much like people shooting bows in backyards (I’m a law breaker, I shot mine a few times in Noda when I lived there And no one cared or freaked out)

JLove1974

Twelve Pointer
I knew a guy that may have taken a few nice bucks with a crossbow out near Mallard Creek on his private land that backed up to the Research Park area. If y’all want to berate him for being a liberal ordinance lawbreaker you’ll have to go out to the cemetery. That’s how he introduced his grandsons to deer hunting since he had lived there 59 years

krausegd

Spike
There was definitely a guy hunting near the neighborhood last year. Got caught bow hunting and taking deer. I think it was around Park Road / Montford. Someone got a pic of him dragging a deer into his truck bed from their apartment building.

Needless to say the cops were waiting for him the next time he ventured out.

I get it. Some of you guys don't like "city livin'" and thats fine. But laws are laws. I don't feel bad for the guy one bit. It's 2019...pretty easy to find rules and regs these days. Now I'll say I shoot my bow in my backyard, but with one neighbor who doesn't care and an acre of land...chances of getting in trouble are slim.

I'm not holding my breath, but if they ever do a greenway management situation I've got a front row seat :)

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
There was a 205" non typical(rough score)killed out of Mecklenburg county with a crossbow this year. 24 points.

You can hunt in Mecklenburg county, just not in charlotte City limits. The city limits do not make up the entire county so alot of the outer border of the county is huntable as long as you arent close to a dwelling.

I for example, live in in an 'unicorporated' part of the county that is thankfully outside city limits. I can technically bow hunt my property but the HOA will have a fit once they find out since they have made it our bylaws that no hunting is allowed. I have a nice buck showing up routinely but not during daylight. he starts day walking and I am going to test the HOA on this one. 3 of my 4 neighbors are pro hunting but I have a lady in the community behind me that goes off on people when they kill so much as a copperhead....so if the deer makes it to her yard there are going to be fireworks..........There has also been a yote and two foxes coming in each night around dusk......been giving them a pass but not sure how much longer I am going to do that.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
How well do you know your neighbors? Get elected President of the home owners association. Vote it into the covenants to be legal. Hell they tell you what color you can paint your house, use the rules to your advantage. :ROFLMAO:

Most covenants need to have majority or even super majority to pass, so its not quite as simple as just changing them once you are president...if that were the case, I would have done that a longgggg time ago. But I like the thought process.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
I suggest you move to the UK if you like their system better. Don’t know what you mean by land of the offended in connection to this? Sounds like you are butt hurt that your not allowed to hunt in the largest metropolitan area in the state.
To be honest with you, it’s likely guys with your attitude that makes it impossible to even consider a permit hunt here.

And yes I realize there are some large chunks of land around that are still undeveloped. However, they are mostly private owned. You can’t think that the city has the right to just say they are open for hunting.

First off, if you don't know what I mean about land of the offended YOU ARE most likely part of the problem.
Second, I have no desire to hunt in Meck. Co, period.
Third, never said anything about wanting to live in the UK. If you knew anything about hunting there, they hunt greenways and parks and wooded blocks all the time and you never hear about an accidental shooting. Maybe it has to do with their 40 hour hunter education class, maybe not.
All I was saying is that they can do it without problems, why couldn't we ?
If you wanna hand feed 11 and 12 pt. deer, have at it. Just know that eventually the deer will get killed by a car, possibly hurting someone, or the thing will go through a window or sliding glass door all rut crazed and may hurt someone...
Eventually, the city council will use your tax dollars to exterminate a certain number of said deer, if they don't already do that. Other cities do. I know a guy that makes his living shooting deer at night, with suppressed weapons, on participating private properties and noone is the wiser. It is in a city, just not currently Charlotte.
Like I also said in a previous post in this thread, good thing I live in the boondocks, out where I belong. People around here don't much care what is done on other folk's property.
To go accusing me of being part of any permit problem in Charlotte is absurd. I did kill a couple deer in Meck Co about 20 years ago. With a bow, hunting with a friend on his property. Way out of the city limits, at the time.
I hope they do set up a permit hunt over there. At least some of the meat will go to good use. I still won't be interested.