Strike netters

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Take an empty bottle and leave a courteous note.

I understand the philosophy above, but I never met someone running a net that had a ton of money to deal with a broke net. Just my thoughts on that.

I’ve never run a Net to make a living. I’ve helped once or twice. Not exactly easy or fun work. Very wet and usually cold.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Take an empty bottle and leave a courteous note.

I understand the philosophy above, but I never met someone running a net that had a ton of money to deal with a broke net. Just my thoughts on that.

I’ve never run a Net to make a living. I’ve helped once or twice. Not exactly easy or fun work. Very wet and usually cold.

With a net of that size he certainly isn't a recreational guy so that makes him commercial and he KNOWS the law and purposefully ignores it to the danger of others in the vicinity... No mercy....

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
I have not this year, but 2 weeks ago a close friend tried 7 of his favorite spots in the Bay River before finding a place that didn’t have strike netters on it.

redbow

Ten Pointer
This net was actually placed in a wider part of the creek. They actually set earlier in the creek where it was 40 yards wide. Totally screwed up the creek for everyone but themselves. There will be more video to come.

redbow

Ten Pointer
I have not this year, but 2 weeks ago a close friend tried 7 of his favorite spots in the Bay River before finding a place that didn’t have strike netters on it.
I know, saw it with my own two eyes. It may be legal, but it sure as he'll ain't right.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
They only have to have buoys on each end. I didn't see any channel markers in the video.

You can see the yellow buoys on the end.

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
I haven't had to deal with them yet, but I did set them for years and it appears to me that net is set legally. Any less than 2,000 feet only requires buoys on either end.......and if he is still letting out he may pull it tighter later when he is done. We did if we realized it was bagging around a curve.

redbow

Ten Pointer
I made the video because although it is legal it ain't right. Guarantee if some of you saw what goes on with your own eyes you would change your tune. Sad thing is, nobody gives a damn until it affects them.

redbow

Ten Pointer
I haven't had to deal with them yet, but I did set them for years and it appears to me that net is set legally. Any less than 2,000 feet only requires buoys on either end.......and if he is still letting out he may pull it tighter later when he is done. We did if we realized it was bagging around a curve.
So were you a commercial fisherman? Were you making your living by setting nets? Please answer honestly.

skimmer

Six Pointer
Because I can.
Good for you. Seems you were unaware of current regulations and thought you were posting a video of an illegal set. Or maybe hoping people that didn't know better would think it was illegal also? Have I seen it with my own eyes? Absolutely, I live in coastal carteret county and have been around it my whole life. Does it bother me? Not a bit.

redbow

Ten Pointer
Good for you. Seems you were unaware of current regulations and thought you were posting a video of an illegal set. Or maybe hoping people that didn't know better would think it was illegal also? Have I seen it with my own eyes? Absolutely, I live in coastal carteret county and have been around it my whole life. Does it bother me? Not a bit.
Do you set nets?

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
Get the trawls out of the inshore/sounds, a side from that have at it. Nets have been set for longer than I’m still alive and the fishing is still good. My only opinion is that nets should be marked from beginning to end. I ran through a fellas net one morning going out duck hunting. I felt bad and still do to this day, but hell you can’t avoid what you can’t see.

skimmer

Six Pointer
I have many times, but not for a living. Just for fun with friends. To be quite honest nobody sets a gill net for a living, they would starve . Just supplemental income, which may be from a combination of other commercial fishing or maybe from a 9 to 5 desk job. Why do you ask?

redbow

Ten Pointer
Get the trawls out of the inshore/sounds, a side from that have at it. Nets have been set for longer than I’m still alive and the fishing is still good. My only opinion is that nets should be marked from beginning to end. I ran through a fellas net one morning going out duck hunting. I felt bad and still do to this day, but hell you can’t avoid what you can’t see.
But it's legal so it must be okay lol. What if it had messed up your prop?

redbow

Ten Pointer
I have many times, but not for a living. Just for fun with friends. To be quite honest nobody sets a gill net for a living, they would starve . Just supplemental income, which may be from a combination of other commercial fishing or maybe from a 9 to 5 desk job. Why do you ask?
Just for fun? I call BS. You set a net to catch as many fish as you can with the least amount of effort. Your cover is blown.

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If they ain’t making over 50% of their income from it pull their license. Just BS to have a part time license to make extra money.

redbow

Ten Pointer
If they ain’t making over 50% of their income from it pull their license. Just BS to have a part time license to make extra money.
Exactly. Most of these jack legs aren't even real comm fisherman but they argue like hell pretending they are. I bet skimmer bought his license on Craigslist for $1000 so he and his friends can "do it for fun".

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I can “not see” that net just as well as I can “not see” any other submerged hazard. To each their own. I mean hell, breadman is out there suggesting people put metal or concrete out 🤦🏼‍♂️

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
As for non-commercial netting, what about boats setting a couple 100yd nets for fatback for king trips, and letting them set for 5-10min a whack before pulling?