Let’s talk Autumn Olive thickets

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My recently acquired farm in Va has several large, Autumn Olive thickets on it. Probably over 90 acres total. The balance of the 220 acres is mostly open pasture, and a few small strips of woods along the creeks and a few windbreaks spread out around the property.

Deer seem to frequent these thickets to bed and use them as travel ways between food sources.

My question is this, where should I set up?

There is no good place to set up close to any of them in terms of trees for a tree stand. These Autumn Olive trees are all less than 20’ tall, and most are less than 6” DBH.

I can set up a ground blind in the actual thicket, but I’m hesitant to push into their bedding area at this time of year.

Or, I can set up along a wind break with some poplar and oak trees interspersed with pines about 350 yards from one thicket, and 270 yards from another.

There is another place I can set up to have 3 of these thickets all within 300-325 yards of a finger of woods that jets out into the open pasture between the wood line and the Olive thickets.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It's always hard to tell someone where to hunt without actually seeing the property.

During the rut, I'd setup to catch bucks traveling between the bedding thickets, maybe the closest point-to-point route between them. After the rut, I'd try to ID which one a buck is using regularly and which direction he's likely going to feed, and get as close to it as possible, catching him leaving early on those colder days. Corn inside a bedding thicket works, but...

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It's always hard to tell someone where to hunt without actually seeing the property.

During the rut, I'd setup to catch bucks traveling between the bedding thickets, maybe the closest point-to-point route between them. After the rut, I'd try to ID which one a buck is using regularly and which direction he's likely going to feed, and get as close to it as possible, catching him leaving early on those colder days. Corn inside a bedding thicket works, but...

Corn would work, but corn is a no no in Va

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Deer love Autumn Olives.
Ground blind would be the best bet close to the most used area.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’ve done the observation set up thing since Friday. I’m setting up so I watch the thickets and the pastures from over 500 yards away.

Morning, mid day, and evening deer are venturing out of the thickets into the pasture to feed, but are only getting at most 50 yards from the cover of the thickets.

They do get up and move within the thickets constantly throughout the day. I set a couple climbers up this morning, and I can see down into the thickets, which does afford some shot opportunities. It’s just going to be a poke to try to shoot over 300 yards out of a skinny poplar tree in a climber.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Deer love Autumn Olives.
Ground blind would be the best bet close to the most used area.

I’m so on the fence about this.... it definitely gets me close to the deer, but I stand a HUGE chance of bumping them off the bed, and it also cuts my visibility to 20 yards in most places. But it also puts them right in my lap.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The last setup is key ...begin there and use as observation post

Likely won’t need to move

That’s where I’m leaning at going, I’m just concerned about the 300 + yard shot out of a climber in a skinny poplar tree

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
how about a tripod with shooting lanes cut thru some of the best bedding areas? It sounds like the ground hunting is out for you.
For next year of course.
This year I would hunt as tight to it as I could from a gound seat if not blind. Not in it but where i thought they were entering or leaving it. same thing i would do for a thick cutover.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
how about a tripod with shooting lanes cut thru some of the best bedding areas? It sounds like the ground hunting is out for you.
For next year of course.
This year I would hunt as tight to it as I could from a gound seat if not blind. Not in it but where i thought they were entering or leaving it. same thing i would do for a thick cutover.

A tripod is an option that I hadn’t considered. Based on my in the field observations, they pretty much travel through the thickets as much as possible, exiting as near to the next available cover as possible. They will feed in the small openings between the thickets, and then
re-enter the thicket.

Hunting it like I have thus far, I can see the deer, and they’re unaware of my presence, but that 300 yard shot is iffy.

I may hit up Walmart or Academy for a tripod this afternoon and set it up in hopes that it will be steadier than a climber in a tree.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
i would think you could set up a ground blind in a good place about 150 yards away and be able to stalk/sneak your way into it without spooking the bedded deer. But i may be wrong depending on how the terrain is.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
i would think you could set up a ground blind in a good place about 150 yards away and be able to stalk/sneak your way into it without spooking the bedded deer. But i may be wrong depending on how the terrain is.

The problem with setting a ground blind up, is I’d have to set it up in the wide open. I’m leery of that

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
My first thought would be let me bring my Boykin and hunt those thickets and edges for woodcock, rabbits and a wild bobwhite or three..................no idea about the deer, I read 90 acres of autumn olive and my mind went into flushing mode. Hahaha

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My first thought would be let me bring my Boykin and hunt those thickets and edges for woodcock, rabbits and a wild bobwhite or three..................no idea about the deer, I read 90 acres of autumn olive and my mind went into flushing mode. Hahaha

They’re there.... the rabbits and a woodcock or two anyway. Haven’t seen or heard any sign of Gentleman Bob.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
I would set up in a ground blind over looking an edge of cover and if a long shot, place a folding table in the blind for a steady shooting rest....can reach out to 300 yrs this way and sneak in and put without leaving scent. This has worked for me many times and if you push them too tight, you will alert big boy and game over your first hunt. That getting in and out your best friend when you are after a mature buck.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sacrifice 3 round bales for a elevated blind platform or set up a tripod in the middle of them with a burlap wrap. I'll bet the deer wouldn't give it a second look after a week.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sacrifice 3 round bales for a elevated blind platform or set up a tripod in the middle of them with a burlap wrap. I'll bet the deer wouldn't give it a second look after a week.

Not my hay to sacrifice, and at $140 a bale, not cheap either

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Not my hay to sacrifice, and at $140 a bale, not cheap either

That must be some FINE hay...wow..IT may be worth buying a couple of $40 bales if they would let you bring that low rent hay into the field.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That must be some FINE hay...wow..IT may be worth buying a couple of $40 bales if they would let you bring that low rent hay into the field.

It’s some fancy Alfalfa stuff... horse hay.
He got $25 a bale for square bales.

He’s serious about his hay. I’m pretty sure that he wouldn’t take a risk of cross contaminating his fields by letting me bring some other hay in there.

Even if he would, there’s still the issue of getting them to where I want them, and I don’t have a tractor, and I don’t think I could convince him to bring his 75 miles one way just to move 3 bales of hay for me.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Not related to the original post but what kind of hay is it? Think my dad gets 30-40$ for 6x6 round bales

Some sort of fancy alfalfa. Horse hay.

He gets $25 a square bale and $140 for the round bales, I believe they’re 5x5