Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
semi-valuable,,,

I still hold a grudge over how they handled Don Thomas,,,,but that's me

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
What is the Don Thomas issue?
He is a writer; he’s written for Traditional Bowhunter, regional Montana publications and others, and was a regular in the DU magazine.

He wrote a piece for a regional Montana outdoor magazine like Carolina Sportsman criticizing a big time donor and DU board member about a lawsuit where said donor was trying to restrict stream access.

Per the Spokesman:

His article in Outside Bozeman focused on a long-running dispute after Kennedy built fences along county roads and bridges next to his land that prevented the public from reaching the Ruby River.
Kennedy argued in the lawsuit against the Public Land and Water Access Association that Montana laws allowing public access to streams from bridges and within waterways’ high-water marks are unconstitutionally violate his property rights.
The Montana Supreme Court last year rejected Kennedy’s arguments, and the case is back in district court.
Thomas wrote in his article for Outside Bozeman that Kennedy’s strategy is to use his wealth to tie up the courts until he can make the state’s access laws go away.
“The most feasible strategy for accomplishing that goal is to outspend the opposition and litigate it to death with teams of lawyers, dispatching them on command like the Wicked Witch of the West unleashing her winged monkeys on the Land of Oz,” Thomas wrote.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
^^^what he said,,,

I get that DU needs to "foster" their big money donors, but they could have handled this way better than they did - Don is a straight shooter

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
^^^what he said,,,

I get that DU needs to "foster" their big money donors, but they could have handled this way better than they did - Don is a straight shooter
When I was 11 my dad took us to a traditional bow show in Michigan. Don Thomas signed my book and was truly decent to a kid that had an organic interest in the outdoors (my Dad doesn’t hunt.). He’s a class act IMO.

I’d worry about him as a writer but I know he’s a doctor too so he writes because he likes to not to feed himself.