Tailgating

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
Not for the game but when hunting. My son and I are headed to the VA mountains in a few weeks and I would like to stay out all day and not come back to town or host (airbnb) for lunch. Will be hunting back in national forest and would like to prepare lunch on the tailgate. Starting from scratch here so let me know all aspects. Even interested in things like MRE and other meals and not even coming out for lunch to stoves/grills on the tailgate.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Pocket rocket, fuel, pot, water, freeze dried meal.
that’s my backpacking set up, no tailgate required. No need to come all the way out just for lunch.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Uncle Bens ready to eat cheese rice, can of chicken or deer and can of soup, all in one pot heat and eat.
Makes a great lunch or dinner.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Many, many ways to feed yourself off grid. Your friend(s) will be a pocket rocker type heater, lightweight cooking pot and dehydrated foods. Too many choices to even begin.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Pocket rocket, fuel, pot, water, freeze dried meal.
that’s my backpacking set up, no tailgate required. No need to come all the way out just for lunch.

This is your best bet and someone else mentioned Mountain House meals. These are the best ones I have found. get them at REI and with the above set up you dont have to leave the woods. I used similar set up when I hiked the Linville gorge last weekend. Hiked from 3000 plus ft down to the river and ate Mountain house chicken & rice down at the river which is 1200 ft elevation.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Knorr packets are also pretty good. I like the rice and beans best. Go buy a Coleman burner (about $17) from Wal-mart, that attaches directly to one of the fuel canisters. They work great. They will boil water pretty fast, and I've also cooked some pretty good fresh food meals on them as well.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We used to take one of the small tailgating propane grills and cook at the club for lunch. Usually hotdogs or something similar.

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have one of the newer flat top griddles that take the small propane bottles. Very portable and easy to use. No limits on what can cook on it. I put it in the truck for the Pee Dee hunt. I made grilled ham, turkey and cheese sandwich’s for lunch each day. Wipe it off and go on. If you had a pot you could heat soup or chili or boil water if you wanted.

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
A sandwich a a hot thermos of soup. Take a handful of chocolates of your liking too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Personally...... I have assembled a "lunch box" in a small Rubbermaid Action Packer box that contains everything I need to have a hot lunch on the tailgate or the boat. I have a double burner Coleman stove, pots, pans, utensils, plates, bowls, plastic ware and hot pan holders. I just drop a few cans of whatever (soups, chili, etc) in that morning and go. Crackers are also in there and everything is waterproof and in one place.