Bullet not exiting

Andrewd

Six Pointer
I’m shooting 300gr arrow tip powerbelts with 120gr triple 7. There is no exit wounds. Or pass thru. This Bullet was shoot at 75 yards went thru Behind shoulder and made it to skin on other side. Still no blood trail.

Attachments

• 412531B4-F420-40F7-9DF3-4592F82CFA6F.jpeg
    412531B4-F420-40F7-9DF3-4592F82CFA6F.jpeg
    132.6 KB · Views: 138

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It opened up well and obviously killed the deer. Sometimes 777 can absorb a bit of moisture and not have the same power as if the can were unopened and new. You may want to try a new can of powder if you think this may be the case, obviously the load you are shooting should be close to maximum in most muzzleloaders.

Andrewd

Six Pointer
Ive tried new powder. It does the same with 250gr shockwaves. Shoots real well just no exit wounds. And no blood trail. Deer went 70 yards no blood until he layed down.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Muzzleloaders don't have the shock of a high powered rifle of course but I've not had a problem with pass-through wounds except in the case of a shoulder shot or a shot that went lengthways through the body. I also don't use powerbelts because of that very reputation of opening up on skin and loosing a lot of power after the initial impact. I'm not sure if they are just that soft or if the deep hollowpoint just allows them to mushroom on impact.
I've shot deer with everything from round balls, maxi-balls, buffalo bullets, to the modern copper jacketed bullets or solid copper bullets. They all have their own way that they expand but all will kill deer and almost all the lead projectiles will lose momentum due to expansion.

SharpShooter

Ten Pointer
I use to use 350gr hornaday fpb bullets when I shot a nonsmokeless muzzleloader. Similar in design to the powerbelts and had no problem getting pass through with 90gr of FFg triple 7.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
That’s why I like XTP’s, they always exit for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have shot xtp’s basically since i started ML and have had very few pass thrus. But 90% of deer have dropped in spot or not out of sight

Crazyhunter

Button Buck
Try lowering your powder charge. They are really soft lead and the harder you push them the more they mushroom. Maybe try 80 or 90 grains. I'm shooting the 290 grain and 70 grains of powder. Really accurate and no problem killing deer.

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk

Andrewd

Six Pointer
Try lowering your powder charge. They are really soft lead and the harder you push them the more they mushroom. Maybe try 80 or 90 grains. I'm shooting the 290 grain and 70 grains of powder. Really accurate and no problem killing deer.

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk
I’ve slowed them down but it will not shoot. Walks all over to a 4” group and 100 and drops around 5”

SharpShooter

Ten Pointer
I’ve slowed them down but it will not shoot. Walks all over to a 4” group and 100 and drops around 5”
4” at 100yds is a dead deer. Those hornaday fpb had nice groups but were very hard to find. I think I had to order the last batch I shot before switching to sabots then to smokeless. Now I’ve got essentially 30/06 performance during muzzleloader season and no clean up or rusting bores.

Trappertod

Six Pointer
I am glad I read this post, I have always shot the power belt with good results, but my shots have always been close. I have a new inline ML now and will be switching bullets for sure because this rifle has a decent range.

Andrewd

Six Pointer
I agree that at 4” group is still a dead deer. But when you go from shooting 1.5” to 2” groups at a 100 yards. I just don’t like it.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Best I ever found were some old solid lead bullets with a black sabot. Don’t remember what they were but they were bought at roses. 1-1/2” a 2” groups at 100. Went through everything I ever shot. Can’t find them now and on to hornady

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Best I ever found were some old solid lead bullets with a black sabot. Don’t remember what they were but they were bought at roses. 1-1/2” a 2” groups at 100. Went through everything I ever shot. Can’t find them now and on to hornady

I used to shoot those. I used to buy them straight from Knight way back when but for a time were available local. Very accurate and always punched thru.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don’t understand all of this stuff about expansion bullets in muzzleloaders. I get it with most rifles.....but with a muzzleloader....come on.....you are punching 1/2” hole if it doesn’t deform at all. If you want reliable exits, I’d get away from bullets that expand a lot. Muzzleloaders are not shooting enough speed...especially that bullets have gotten a bit lighter. Take the 1/2” hole and be happy.