Ontario/ Great Lakes snow &) temp drops

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
I hope so, my usual spots have nothing so far. I usually have at least some wood ducks to shoot opening day.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

JD1107

It’s a good start. Got a report today from a good friend that scooters have started showing, so things are starting to pick up for sure. I plan on deer hunting all weekend, but where I set up will be very close to the swamps I hunt so I can scout at the same time.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
It won’t hurt anything.

I’ll agree with Woodmoose to the extent that a hard freeze is what’s required to turn things on in a big way...

But ducks don’t migrate all at once and there is more than one factor...the only thing that’s 100% guaranteed to get 99% of them is a hard freeze...

But some skedadle with the first bit of frost, in response to daylight changes, some when the swamps get skim ice, others when the small lakes freeze, others when Lake Erie or Ontario freezes...

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Is it possible that even within a species, ducks are kind of like people regarding their temperature preferences and cold tolerance? Of course calendar/daylight length migrators are different from temperature migrators. But within temperature migrators, some individuals seem to stay until all food and water is frozen. Maybe other individuals go a bit further South but only until they get uncomfortably warm from thick plumage. Which individuals are in best breeding/nesting condition upon arrival at nesting grounds? The ones that stayed most Northerly (exerted the least migration effort but suffered more cold) vs. individuals that exerted more effort migrating but less cold exposure)? Seems little wonder if migration is a "Bell shaped curve" instead of binary "yes or no--are they here yet?" I guess this is part of the fun/mystery of waterfowl hunting...

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
yeap,,,plenty of ducks are calendar migrators (gadwall, pintails, wigeon, green-winged teal, etc)

me,,,I don't worry on it,,,I go duck hunting when I can,,,like this coming weekend/week I'll be in a coastal marsh blind hoping some of them show (youth weekend was poor, so who knows)

now I do like it when I find a large concentration of migrators,,,like this one year (8 years or so ago) Brandy and I found where 50million or so wood ducks were roosting on a large lake (well 800 to a thousand) and the surrounding ponds were HOT for about a week,,,,got to like when that happens

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
Is it possible that even within a species, ducks are kind of like people regarding their temperature preferences and cold tolerance? Of course calendar/daylight length migrators are different from temperature migrators. But within temperature migrators, some individuals seem to stay until all food and water is frozen. Maybe other individuals go a bit further South but only until they get uncomfortably warm from thick plumage. Which individuals are in best breeding/nesting condition upon arrival at nesting grounds? The ones that stayed most Northerly (exerted the least migration effort but suffered more cold) vs. individuals that exerted more effort migrating but less cold exposure)? Seems little wonder if migration is a "Bell shaped curve" instead of binary "yes or no--are they here yet?" I guess this is part of the fun/mystery of waterfowl hunting...

That is a really good answer!!

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Ducks will only go as far south as needed to find food and soft water. Once they have those 2 things that's where they'll camp out...

Willie

Twelve Pointer
Was taking little man crappie fishing the other afternoon and we were seeing bluewings all over the place... we usually see em in september here

I was in Saskatchewan the first week of October and there were a lot of blue wings still up there. Actually saw more blue wings than green wings.

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
Won’t make much of a difference. Calendar migrators will move regardless of weather. The hardy birds will stay until resources aren’t available then will only move as far south as necessary. Birds have realized if they don’t travel as far south then they can get back to the breeding grounds first and gain the best nesting areas.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
Not sure about the rest of the state, but in my little piece of the world a good number of swans have arrived. Do not think there will ever be ducks in Hyde again.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
Justin. could you please, pretty please share the spot with thousands of ducks? I just want to look at them, promise I will not shoot.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
Just drove over the Macinaw bridge yesterday and saw 2 rafts of ducks that had to be in the thousands, they certainly are coming down

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
They have to have a reason to stop(ex food) in which NC has NONE of. I'm like hydemarsh. I don't think Hyde will ever have birds again or really anywhere in NC. I've all but hung it up for this state. I still have yet to see a migrating duck and I am on the water 3 days a week. Last year I didn't see a migrating duck until December 1st.

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
The ducks are here every year...the thing is, for the most part, they know where they are safe. Late season I can ride around and look at anywhere from cpl hundred to a thousand mallards on any given day.