Cool old hunting pic

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Not nearly as cool as these pics, but this is my dad, my brother in laws little sister, and me, around 1978 or 79. Our family land in Montrose WV.
First thing come to mind is how much I miss just walking out my door climbing a steep mtn and hunting snow covered ridges we didn't have a deer season but chased everything else nothing like the Appalacians covered in snow especially when your young with ton of energy and all day to go at it

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
If that is a regulated deer hunt and there is that many people there back when there is little transportation, scarce population and few conservation officers then wouldn't you figure that with poaching etc. that would be considered way more then 'little hunting pressure" LOL. Thanks for proving my own point.
Tim, he probably don't know anything about being hungry either.
My "Aunt Edna" , who was actually my mothers 2nd cousins mother, loved squirrel meat fried with taters and gravy.
She would have me kill her 1 or 2 when I got the chance, this went on well into my 30's.
But she didn't want me to bring her more than 2 because I had to leave some for seed.
My point being that those old folks had really been hungry before and had not forgotten it.
I have used game as a staple meat in the past as well and so have you.
This other fella has not and cannot relate.......

CJF

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My great great grandfather is the one in front with the rifle This is in the Prince Edward Islands in Canadaggflay.jpgggflay.jpgggflay.jpg

Last edited:

ducknut

Eight Pointer
Really are great pictures. Enjoy seeing them. The last picture especially. The size difference between the middle deer and the one one the left is staggering

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Looks like they are dressed to go to church....reckon they hunted on sundays back then?.....
Often it was a gentleman's game and they dressed the part. The ones who hunted to feed the family likely wore their everyday clothing. You should see how the English dress to hunt.

Moran

Four Pointer
Really some good old pictures thanks for sharing as far hunting it’s the movement that get a hunter blowed out. When me and the kids go hunting I always hunt everything that we wear back packs and boots hats and yes it works I never buy sprays at Walmart or any of that junk

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
These are some Old pics of my best friends Dad and some of his hunting partners. We used to quail hunt with him all the time when we were young.

This was probably Alamance co.

FOT3AB4.JPG

This was either near Minnesott Beach or it may have been Alamance. He shot many many birds in both places.

FOT5323.JPG

This Cabin was their Hunting Cabin and party Cabin near Minnesott Beach. They always had some young ladies there.
If this cabin could talk.

FOT7392.JPG

My buddies dad is 1st on the left. He owned Clapp Bros Furniture in Burlington.

FOTA01 (1).JPG

Last edited:

CJF

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That deer was shot near Niagara Falls, NY in 1962 by my Great uncle, Kelly Warner. He bought that bow and those arrows in a hardware store. He hid in a group of 3 trees, wearing those clothes and shot that doe as she walked by.

uk.jpguk.jpg

Last edited: