How old?

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I see at least a 3.5 yo deer. Side note...i thought that white thing in the frame (cotton?) was a Halloween decoration at first. Looked like a skull lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
old enough.. at least 3.5, likely 4.5 but not knowing the herd in general in that area, there is a lot of margin for error. front shoulders that look like that in relation to the hams.. is one of my keys.

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
I see at least a 3.5 yo deer. Side note...i thought that white thing in the frame (cotton?) was a Halloween decoration at first. Looked like a skull lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's some kind of weed, the pic is from a cut over, no cotton around that I know of.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
^You and MoBucks hit on two of the best indicators. The belly sag/sway back that many talk about is highly dependent on whether the buck's head is up or down and on his temporary conditioning, and as such, are less consistent.

That said, one picture, or even two can definitely fool you. After seeing 6-8 pics of the same buck in different positions, you can usually make a pretty accurate guess. But the picture angle and posture has a lot to do with what type of responses you'll get.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I agree with the merge with the neck and chest, but the hind quarter still looks larger than the shouler to me. His chest don't look to be filled out enough with the legs still looking to long, to be over 3.5. Most bucks I have seen 4.5 or older start to have an appearance/silhouette similar to a calf. I will lean toward 3.5, but want argue about 4.5. No older though. I found an article that had a sketch that helped describe what I meant by appearance/silhouette. https://www.wideopenspaces.com/2-graphics-help-age-buck-treestand/

Last edited:

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
The way the neck merges up pretty flush with the brisket, I'd say that's another piece of evidence suggesting 4-1/2. Once the Mrs. puts him on the ground we'll check his teeth!
Ok I'm confused....do y'all hunt with rubline or did I miss something?

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
Ok I'm confused....do y'all hunt with rubline or did I miss something?

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Familyman is friend, we hunt together some and our wives hunt and he's always pulling for my wife to shoot the big ones and leave me the scrubs.