Emerald Isle

sheltod2

Four Pointer
Fiancee and I are going down to Emerald Isle in a couple weeks. Wanting to pier fish and fish off the beach a bit. We have fished in the surf some.
Usually use, sand fleas or cut bait from cast net in the surf. Any suggestions for this time of year down there? We are not wanting to drive any distance really from where we are staying.

JonBoy

Four Pointer
We just got back from our week long trip to Emerald Isle, and fishing was OK...not the best, but not the worst either. We caught all of our keeper fish on cut mullet. Decent size blues (~16") and speckled trout (16" - 17") hit sporadically throughout the week. We didn't hook any drum, but I think the people just down the beach had one on...ended up straightening out their cheap hook and got off. The only thing we caught on live mullet was sharks and stingrays. I also caught 6 flounder on jigging in the surf with gulp shrimp and gulp swimming mullet. Of course they had to all be thrown back due to the closed season, but they're still fun to catch.

sheltod2

Four Pointer
We just got back from our week long trip to Emerald Isle, and fishing was OK...not the best, but not the worst either. We caught all of our keeper fish on cut mullet. Decent size blues (~16") and speckled trout (16" - 17") hit sporadically throughout the week. We didn't hook any drum, but I think the people just down the beach had one on...ended up straightening out their cheap hook and got off. The only thing we caught on live mullet was sharks and stingrays. I also caught 6 flounder on jigging in the surf with gulp shrimp and gulp swimming mullet. Of course they had to all be thrown back due to the closed season, but they're still fun to catch.
Was this all in the surf or pier fishing too?

JonBoy

Four Pointer
Was this all in the surf or pier fishing too?
All in the surf....I'm not a fan of burning up on the pier...got to have my feet wet. We did stroll out on the pier one night, and they were catching some spots. Also heard that they were having trouble bringing the kings in off the end of the pier due to the sharks.

Reactions: jug

C52

Eight Pointer
All in the surf....I'm not a fan of burning up on the pier...got to have my feet wet. We did stroll out on the pier one night, and they were catching some spots. Also heard that they were having trouble bringing the kings in off the end of the pier due to the sharks.
I was on the pier a couple weeks ago. Saw several sharks hanging around. Nothing over maybe 3 feet though.