I have NEVER hunted turkeys. Point me in the right direction.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Knowing when, what to say, and how much to say it varies from bird to bird from day to day. The guys that understand how to do that, kill birds quickly and easily every spring.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
It’s ok..... I’m only happy when I’m miserable.
Then welcome aboard!

I started it knowing nothing. Spent most of season not knowing if we were close. Last day of season, I went unconventional, started walking, found some, belly crawled, and called in a tom.

870 Express. Army surplus camo. Nothing special. Don't call too loudly.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Then welcome aboard!

I started it knowing nothing. Spent most of season not knowing if we were close. Last day of season, I went unconventional, started walking, found some, belly crawled, and called in a tom.

870 Express. Army surplus camo. Nothing special. Don't call too loudly.

if you had called loudly maybe you wouldnt have had to crawl?
They would have waltzed right in.
Sorry hawkman I couldnt resist. :)
Glad you figured you one out.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
He was with the ladies that seemed to be disinterested. I wanted him to know I was there and "submissive".

I didn't really know what I was doing. First time with a box call so I didn't want to screw up.

Met the owner of the farmland later (a friend of mine). He told me there's nowhere on the farm where he sees more rattlesnakes than where I was crawling.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
He was with the ladies that seemed to be disinterested. I wanted him to know I was there and "submissive".

I didn't really know what I was doing. First time with a box call so I didn't want to screw up.

Met the owner of the farmland later (a friend of mine). He told me there's nowhere on the farm where he sees more rattlesnakes than where I was crawling.

well hawkman, dont worry about screwing up. they (real turkeys) sound unbelievably bad all the time. You'll one day come on one that sounds so bad you will swear it is another hunter and abandon the chase.
And i think the landowner was echoing me in encouraging you to call not crawl.
Unless that is exactly what the turkey deserves. :)

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have encountered more than one out west that I wanted to kill just to shut up.. had one that I could pick out her Yelp a half mile or better away and she simply did not ever shut up.. so loud or not depends on situation.

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
Woodsman ship is very important. However, calling is important when hunting areas with lots of flooded low grounds like the North Eastern part of our state or the bayous of Louisiana. I did seminars with Rob Keck all over the country during the Bass Pro Shop Fall Classics. Rob is the founder of the NWTF and was the first to kill a gobbler in every state other than Alaska. He will tell you that areas that have a lot of water are the toughest to hunt. Calling is important to get a bird to cross a river or get him off an island. It can be done. He is by far the most knowledgeable turkey hunter that I have ever met. He is the current Conservation Manager for Bass Pro Shops.

Calling in this area is an important part of many combined skills. You have to know how to read the birds. Sometimes no calling is best. Anyone that wants to learn more about turkey hunting should go to the competition at the DDC. They point out some good scenarios that you can apply to the field. If you really want so good information go to the NWTF Convention in Nashville.

Convention is a lot of fun and you can network with hunters from all over the country. Lots of information out there but the absolute best way to learn is by spending time in the field. Start observing birds and learn how to decipher their roosting, feeding and mating habits. Put your time in and you will be successful. PM me if you want any specifics on where to put in for permits this Spring.2D5DB465-7544-4316-A6B4-DB8E782409DE.jpeg

Last edited: