Montgomery Ward SXS

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I'm trying to figure out the year and who manufactured a 16 gauge Montgomery Ward Western Field Deluxe, serial number 12278. I've googled Western Arms, Ithaca, and Stevens and haven't hit on anything that would steer me in the right direction. Does somebody here know?

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I'm trying to figure out the year and who manufactured a 16 gauge Montgomery Ward Western Field Deluxe, serial number 12278. I've googled Western Arms, Ithaca, and Stevens and haven't hit on anything that would steer me in the right direction. Does somebody here know?

most likely a Lefever Nitro Special,,,,does it have a birddog in cattails on the frame?

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
yeap,,,I'd be willing to bet that it's the Nitro Special - they sold them through a lot of companies

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
yeap,,,I'd be willing to bet that it's the Nitro Special - they sold them through a lot of companies

Has a reddish rubber recoil pad, not sure if it's aftermarket. It's melted somehow but I can make out letters HAW... I'm assuming it's a Hawkins recoil pad.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
very likely Hawkins Model 25 Recoil Pad by the Cushion Pad Co,,,,,1920s era after market

I have GOT to quit messing with old double barrels!!

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Cool. Now I'm at least heading in the right direction. Any idea what the serial numbers indicate?

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
there is a great cross reference at www.gunpartscorp.com where I get parts for "company" brands BUT John knows guns I DO know that.

gunpartcorp has a decent refereence but stinks for those store brands back before WWII

most likely a Lefever Nitro Special,,,,does it have a birddog in cattails on the frame?

i WAS WRONG! Don't know what I was thinking except I misread the serial number as over 100k,,,,Lefever Nitro Express serial numbers start at 100,000

WESTERN ARMS MODEL LONG RANGE DOUBLE GUN - owned by Ithaca

check this picture - bet this is a better rendition of your side plate (I can't see it well in your pictures) and it jives with serial number

if so, the gun was made in 1930, likely June/July

dang pins even match with your gun

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Mine appears stamped versus your picture appears engraved so I'm guessing mine would be a later model. It also has a checkered stock.

I knew Dad still had an old sxs so I looked his over today but it was a Fox Savage Model B. That didn't help me because it's not even remotely similar.

IMG_2755.JPG
IMG_2757.JPG