Walk of Shame

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I had to walk back to my truck around 9am on Monday to get two additional boxes of ammo. I went through 4 to shoot 4 doves. My son said I need to practice. lol

I can hit the ones going left or right but have a lot of trouble shooting the ones flying towards me or away.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
TMI TMI GSOHunter. some things should not be shared.

I can say that as i matched your efforts once. But i was only 14. :)
It was a walk of shame deal for me too. My dad doled out shells like they were gold. two boxes per shoot.
He was fishing with a friend and they could hear the shoot.
I have no clue what was my issue that day but when it was time to get picked up and I had only one dove per box I was shamed big time. It seems my father had allowed to his friend as to how I would have a limit for sure based on the shooting they heard.
He had no sympathy at all and there was not going to be any more shells doled out either. Of course I had seen him kill a limit with 13 shells so he set the bar pretty high.

Glad you had a good shoot your tale brought back some fond memories.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
I remember taking a young kid out for a duck hunt, opposite happened to me though and not sure how or who was looking over me that day. 3 mallards flew in, fired 3 times and all 3 ducks fell, said ok that's it, time to go, doesn't get any better than this.
Makes up for the similar days thinking "heck yeah i have enough shells in my pockets/bag/belt to last me the season" just to realize i can't finish the morning with a limit

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What's even worse is when you didn't even bring any extra shells, and you have to yell across the field that you are out, and ask your buddies to help you out.

I had to send a runner to take a box of shells to a friend Monday. He started with 2 1/2. I think he just quit when he got to the end of the box I gave him.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Left to right is the easiest for most right hand shooters.

3 basic tips:

1. don't stop gun keep it swinging (#1 thing I see people do wrong)
2. Head down on gun. I get a bruise on my cheek if I'm shooting a lot.
3. Birds flying at you aim over and birds flying away aim under.

Do these and the rest will come together with practice

Another tip I give to save shells. Don't shoot 3rd shot. It seems to be a hope or mad shot. Only use as a finisher on hit bird or to finish a triple ;)

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

3 basic tips:

Another tip I give to save shells. Don't shoot 3rd shot. It seems to be a hope or mad shot. Only use as a finisher on hit bird or to finish a triple ;)

Right on!

The only thing I would add is re #3 for oncoming birds.........if you can see the bird coming at you, you'll probably shoot behind it. You need to "hide" the bird behind the muzzle.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I'll join that walk of shame. Missed on 30 shots on Monday. Partially do to my lack of practicing. I think it is also due to being dominate left eye while shooting right handed. I close my left eye instead of keeping both eyes open so I lose peripheral vision and depth perception. Since I write left-handed and do some other stuff left-handed, I'm thinking of switching to left-handed shooting.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I shot 15 doves opening day with 24 shells with my 410. I’m fairly certain the heat warped my barrels overnight because the next day, I shot 9 with 25 shells and quit. Warped barrels is the only sound reasoning I could come up with. I told my wife and she said :donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk. That couldn’t be the reason either because we ain’t even got a bull........................

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Towards is easy...bring the barrel straight up behind and thru the bird. When the bird disappears, pull the trigger...

I shot 3 boxes once, but at least I had a limit(y)

We’ve got a world class skeet shooter in our hunt club. I’ve shot quite a bit with him in the last couple years. His number one advice, make sure your gun fits. Number 2 is quit effing thinking, your instincts are smarter than you...

Last edited:

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I shot 4 boxes to get my limit Monday. I’d love and try to do better, but I have one more good time regardless. I did shoot 8 with 25 shells the last half of the day though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Don’t feel bad. I shot a 23/25 on the skeet range Saturday before the opener, then on Monday it took me 32 shells to kill 5 birds.

CBD21

Eight Pointer
Towards is easy...bring the barrel straight up behind and thru the bird. When the bird disappears, pull the trigger...

I shot 3 boxes once, but at least I had a limit(y)

We’ve got a world class skeet shooter in our hunt club. I’ve shot quite a bit with him in the last couple years. His number one advice, make sure your gun fits. Number 2 is quit effing thinking, your instincts are smarter than you...
His number 2 rule is as true a statement as you will ever get. You get to thinking about it and you’re going to whiff every time. Point the gun and pull the trigger.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

3 basic tips:

One of the guys in the field said his accuracy doubled by going to an over under. He said he never hit on the third shot and it was just a frustration shot. lol

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Sounds like a lot of folks are shooting birds they shouldn’t be shooting at. See it in every dove field I’ve been in. They’re a lot easier to kill if you let them get in range before pulling up on them

Last edited:

Jack's PA

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Way back in the day when my dad was kid he went out to hunt rabbits. His dad gave him three shells. Told him to come back with three rabbits or three shells or some combination adding up to three.

Dad shot a rabbit but it didn’t die. He spent the rest of the hunt chasing down that wounded rabbit.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Way back in the day when my dad was kid he went out to hunt rabbits. His dad gave him three shells. Told him to come back with three rabbits or three shells or some combination adding up to three.

Dad shot a rabbit but it didn’t die. He spent the rest of the hunt chasing down that wounded rabbit.

My dad only gave me one box of shells. I had to bring him seven doves to get next box. Made me pick my shots and pick up other peoples birds ?

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
Y’all need to try some of those tracer wad shells, that brings the learning curve on quick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Don’t feel bad. I shot a 23/25 on the skeet range Saturday before the opener, then on Monday it took me 32 shells to kill 5 birds.

A buddy of mine is one of the finest wing shooters I’ve ever seen. Ive been around some damn good ones too. He is unreal just to watch. It’s just natural to him and he really doesn't even bird Hunt much. But you put him on a skeet field, he may break 10 on a good day. Put him in a dove field, he literally will not miss.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
A buddy of mine is one of the finest wing shooters I’ve ever seen. Ive been around some damn good ones too. He is unreal just to watch. It’s just natural to him and he really doesn't even bird Hunt much. But you put him on a skeet field, he may break 10 on a good day. Put him in a dove field, he literally will not miss.
Skeet is like shooting free throws, or hitting a golf ball. Should be easy, but the eight inches between your ears gets in the way. I used to shoot a fair amount of trap. There were some guys that were good and some that weren't. But there were guys that weren't that could hit wild birds no problem, since it didn't allow for as much thinking about it.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I had to walk back to my truck around 9am on Monday to get two additional boxes of ammo. I went through 4 to shoot 4 doves. My son said I need to practice. lol

I can hit the ones going left or right but have a lot of trouble shooting the ones flying towards me or away.
I could make you look good dove hunting. I suck at it.