Bear Hunting NC

rdj1996

Button Buck
Hello,
I recently moved from Texas to NC and I would like to do some bear hunting. I have tried researching what all I need but its very confusing. I was on private land in Texas and it was much more relaxed regulations. I suppose I am asking what all I need? there seems to be several licenses and permits required.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Assuming you meet the residency requirements you need a hunting license with big game privileges and a bear management e-stamp.

If you are hunting on land you own., you only need a bear management e-stamp.
Exceptions for Obtaining a License

General
  • A landowner or person leasing land primarily for cultivation, their spouse, and dependents under 18 residing with them, may hunt, trap and fish on such land without a license.
  • A resident of this state who is a member of the U.S. Armed Forces serving outside N.C., or who is on full-time military duty outside the state in a reserve component of the U.S. Armed Forces is exempt from hunting, inland and coastal fishing license requirements while on leave in this state for 30 days or less. When hunting or fishing under this exemption you must carry, on your person, your military ID card and a copy of the official document confirming you are on leave from a duty station outside of N.C. Individuals hunting bear must purchase a “Bear Management E-Stamp.” You must also comply with all reporting and hunter safety requirements as mandated by the Commission and purchase a federal duck stamp if waterfowl hunting.
Individuals exempt from the requirements of a hunting license must obtain a “License-Exempt Big Game Harvest Report Card” when hunting deer, bear or wild turkey. Those hunting bear must also obtain a “Bear Management E-Stamp.
Individuals exempt from hunting and fishing license requirements must adhere to designated seasons and limits.

Any type or caliber rifle is legal except full auto. Shotguns must be no greater than 10 gauge and there are poundage restrictions on bows, unlike Texas. No caliber or type restrictions for handguns except no full auto.

Hunting bear with dogs and bait legal in most areas but not all. Check the regs digest.

Welcome to NC

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
RDJ1996,,,

Please read the regs - you can get hard copy at most sporting goods stores or ask the NCWRC for one. They are also available online. What you get from an open question from anonymous online forums is not always accurate.

if you have specific questions ask them, but the regs are pretty clear

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
Thank you all. It is seeming more clear now. I appreciate the responses.

Are you wanting to routinely hunt bear in NC or just once to get a big one? If its only a bucket list item I'd contact Conmans and get him to put you on one. He could also fill in any gaps you have on info after you look over the regs.