CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Ontario RTAK II.

Seems more like a machete than a knife?

Reactions: SRH

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
To cut stuff with. What's the point of any knife? to cut stuff, to stab stuff, to pry open stuff, okay, the last one isn't quite the correct thing to do, but hey, it works.
oh, to scare people with.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
OK,,in all seriousness,,,those knives are a marketing ploy,,,

see the companies that mine Novaculite in Arkansas needed to make sure that the market stays strong,,,,big knives have more blade to sharpen and therefore wear out the Arkansas whetstone (which is made of Novaculite) quicker,,,,therefore consumers would need to buy a replacement sooner,,,,

simple economics really,,,

and that also explains why the first "big knives" came from Arkansas,,,the Arkansas Toothpick and the Bowie (well supposedly it was designed in Louisiana but I have it on good authority it was Arkansas bigwigs that convinced ol' Jim Bowie he needed such a blade),,,

Ok,,,that's enough history for today,,,back to work

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
You better buy then quick cause in near future I see assault knives like this being outlawed.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I sometimes carry a large Bowie that is razor sharp. I figure it could be used for lots of situations, where a large sharp blade could come in handy.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I would ask Crocodile Dundee. He showed that guy a "real" knife.
That's not a knife, this is a knife!.

222601457.jpg

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
OK,,in all seriousness,,,those knives are a marketing ploy,,,

see the companies that mine Novaculite in Arkansas needed to make sure that the market stays strong,,,,big knives have more blade to sharpen and therefore wear out the Arkansas whetstone (which is made of Novaculite) quicker,,,,therefore consumers would need to buy a replacement sooner,,,,

simple economics really,,,

and that also explains why the first "big knives" came from Arkansas,,,the Arkansas Toothpick and the Bowie (well supposedly it was designed in Louisiana but I have it on good authority it was Arkansas bigwigs that convinced ol' Jim Bowie he needed such a blade),,,

Ok,,,that's enough history for today,,,back to work

Pink novaculite makes a damn good looking arrowhead too when it’s cooked..... I miss flint knapping ?

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
As a kid I would pretend I was exploring uncharted territory or in survival mode. I spent hours down on the creek with my trusty knife and machete building shelters and such. Even slicing the air in imaginary fights.

I couldn't tell you the brand but the styling was that of a combat knife (oh no! ?) More or less it was a hybrid of combat and survival. It wasn't a ka bar, the fixed blade mirrored it's style but has serrated edges on the spine and heel. There was a compass on the butt that would screw off and reveal a hollow handle to store matches, etc. It was all black with a sheath (yes the scary black ?).

I've never had a need for a large knife as an adult but I certainly needed it as a kid... it taught me things. It lets you pretend to be like the great frontiersmen or soldier evading capture. That's the purpose of large knives... to entertain young boys for hours in the woods.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I don’t think those old Taiwanese or Korean “survival “ knives are close to this knife in size

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
As a kid I would pretend I was exploring uncharted territory or in survival mode. I spent hours down on the creek with my trusty knife and machete building shelters and such. Even slicing the air in imaginary fights.

I couldn't tell you the brand but the styling was that of a combat knife (oh no! ?) More or less it was a hybrid of combat and survival. It wasn't a ka bar, the fixed blade mirrored it's style but has serrated edges on the spine and heel. There was a compass on the butt that would screw off and reveal a hollow handle to store matches, etc. It was all black with a sheath (yes the scary black ?).

I've never had a need for a large knife as an adult but I certainly needed it as a kid... it taught me things. It lets you pretend to be like the great frontiersmen or soldier evading capture. That's the purpose of large knives... to entertain young boys for hours in the woods.

Rambo Survival Knife. they became popular after Rambo hit the movie screen. I had one too. I actually bought my boys a couple last Christmas