Hunting property borders

Garrett2006

Button Buck
What does everyone do about guys hunting right on the property boarders? We have a lease and on both sides we have other people that have stands right on the property line or maybe 5’ off the line, but ladders facing our land or box stand windows looking over our property. Been told in NC as long as they don’t shoot onto our property or the gun don’t cross plane of property line it’s all legal just not ethical. What’s best way to deal with it?

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
they aren't on your land - correct?
windows "looking over your property" likely so they can see what's going on, doesn't mean they trespass
deer from one property cross to others all the time - watching your side so they can be ready when they step on theirs is understandable.

best way to deal with it? Up to you - live with it, or leave. If they ever do something illegal then deal with that, but what you described is life.

I gave up a 100 acre block in harnett county (back when I hunted there) as a set of neighbors had ladder stands that faced the clearcut I leased,,,only one direction they could really shoot, but I couldn't prove trespass so I moved on - the aggravation wasn't worth it.

Southern

Ten Pointer
What does everyone do about guys hunting right on the property boarders? We have a lease and on both sides we have other people that have stands right on the property line or maybe 5’ off the line, but ladders facing our land or box stand windows looking over our property. Been told in NC as long as they don’t shoot onto our property or the gun don’t cross plane of property line it’s all legal just not ethical. What’s best way to deal with it?

It sucks but welcome to NC hunting.

Reactions: jug

nontypical

Ten Pointer
Yep. Get used to it! As long as they stay on their side and you stay on yours. Find you a place close to the property line and hunt it.

And make sure to post your side up with purple paint or no tresspassing signs.

Last edited:

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Just deal with it. As long as they don't shoot across or trespass, nothing illegal about it. Maybe contact the stand owner and get to know them. Might make a friend or find out when they frequent the stand most often. That could work to your advantage. Had a Guy who put a stand right off my line once. Great thing was, whenever he came in to hunt it, he pushed all the deer to my side. Worked out well for me.IMG_0022.JPG

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
years ago i hunted a farm and had an issue with the neighbor, he had set up right on the fence line on his side, but he was facing my farm. So i tucked in right at the same spot on my side of the fence and enjoyed my evening sit and asked him if he could keep the noise down every so often

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
yall aint even got problems.
my "friends" who lease next to me built a permanent stand on MY land.cement footings and all.
They got windows all around.
It was an innocent mistake. property line takes an unlikely turn and had been cleared back to give more farming room in the field. I gave my permission for them to clear it back on me. they built the stand on the new field edge.

I can only imagine the advice i can get on that situation so let me hear it.:)

Garrett 2006- You understand the law on the matter and have received some fine advice.
There are all kinds of ways to poison an area that have been mentioned here before.
You have the same rights to do what ever you want on your side of the line.
And according to folks here it can get quite creative.
Not worth it to me for a big rat but YMMV. Good Luck.

Reactions: jug

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm probably "one of those guys" since my leased property and the properties that I hunt are very long and narrow with multiple creek boundaries, river boundaries or cattle fences so I'm always going to be hunting on or near a boundary of some kind. I hunt pass through deer as most of my neighbors do as well, that's the way you hunt when you are hunting small woodlots and powerlines. I can't control my neighbors, all I can do is make a bigger corn pile than they do.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The issue is when you are 90% sure it's not staying on the other side of the fence but you can't prove it. Like when a guy decided to put a tripod 30 yards on the other side of our fence but then cut a lane through the thick brush right to the edge of the overgrown pasture fence so he could see through to our field. Then I found a gut pile 50 yards into our field with drag marks and deer hair on the barbed wire fence where he drug it back to his stand.

Nothing you can do really. Post it heavy. Sit somewhere close enough to watch if they shoot over the line. That's about it. I just dealt with it. Never caught them in the act.

You can usually tell what they are doing. I have hunted on or near the property line many times in the past. Always facing my side, and most of the time I couldn't have shot over the line more than a few yards if I wanted to. When they face your property and cut the trees/hedgerow right on the fence so they can look across, you know their intentions. I've got no problem with line stands. Only with people shooting over the line.

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I'm probably "one of those guys" since my leased property and the properties that I hunt are very long and narrow with multiple creek boundaries, river boundaries or cattle fences so I'm always going to be hunting on or near a boundary of some kind. I hunt pass through deer as most of my neighbors do as well, that's the way you hunt when you are hunting small woodlots and powerlines. I can't control my neighbors, all I can do is make a bigger corn pile than they do.
^Corn wars: the great NC deer tradition. :)
Best idea ever to give a spot hope.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Why do folks feel they can dictate what someone does on the other side of the fence?
Not really sure that was his point but I can see it.

I think it was more so to see how people deal with it.

Just my opinion on it. Who was hunting the land first or owns the land?
That could play out.

I would do this, talk to them,.ask how that both can work together for more fun and less stress.
May find as point out by someone else they could be your friend. See how you can work together and help.
May be easy to set stands where you both feel like it is great hunting and not a waste of time. Could even end up with someone that will help you track a deer on yours or his if you stick one. Come uo with a plan and talk it out.

If you talk to him and they blow you off, have an attitude that is easy to deal with.

Walmart sells cheap AM radios and just pick you up.some. Drop them on the way to your stand and go hunt. I bet he will change after hearing a few hrs or what AM radios have to offer. GMRS radios also work great. Drop them in your land and have fun.
Something about last light and you hear..... Hello, hello is that you, where you sitting.....
Then watch for the flashlight and for them to jump.

We had stands in an area for years on our property. The farm next to us was thinned and they moved stands to the property line next to ours. Nothing wrong but they dropped some of ours and left a note to move them.
That tree line now has become the highway for ATVs. Most our members run it in and out or park in the area. Bet they would have been happy the way it was.......

Last edited:

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Its a fact of life & hunting here in NC that hunting parcels are generally small & "crowding" can be an issue. As long as they stay on their side of the line, there's really not much you can do about it. Best advice is to have a friendly talk with them before the season starts, get everyone to realize where the property lines are, where stands are located, etc.

Sure enough one of you will wound a deer that crosses the property line this season; for that reason alone, it would be to everyone's benefit knowing who their "neighbors" are.......

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
If it's that close, an inexpensive, well hidden camera can tell you volumes. Once you pattern their use and intentions, all of the above can be taken in to consideration. Personally, I've built reciprocal stands and other type "convenient" distractions.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Knew a guy once that built a plywood wall on his side right in front of a box blind that was on other side , right on the property line... could not see into his property for the wall he had built....they eventually moved the stand and problem solved. He took the wall down, but saved the material just in case they tried it again.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I was just asking the op for clarification.

If that is not the case, don't see any reason to get upset.
really?
they five feet over the line looking your way?
hell i bet you'de just write em a permission note and invite them over?
is that you marianne? Williamson? Peace and Love?

Doggin4deer

Button Buck
If a dog hunter cant be stopped at getting his dogs off your property, why would a stand hunter be any more ethical?

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
If a dog hunter cant be stopped at getting his dogs off your property, why would a stand hunter be any more ethical?
Fine
Lets talk ethical hunting. Me and you..... Ban dog hunting....

For the rest of you, forget what I said not talking about you or what you do just this cat wanting to bring up ethical hunting.
Party on.....

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
i really have issues with the recovery situation.
with these tiny tracts that we hunt here in nc it would be tough to be denied recovery if a wounded one crossed a boundary.
anyone ever been caught up in that?
Yes, I have been called in/to those situations. If the animal crosses onto an adjacent land it becomes that landowners property if it expires there. If they decide not to allow recovery that it their right.