Favorite smells

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Go easy on me guys but what are some of your favorite smells? This morning while scouring the pantry for a snack that smell of fresh coffee hit me and I had to make a cup. Got me thinking about what other smells hit you and either bring up something nostalgic or just that "oh man I love that smell".

Fresh coffee
A cut cornfield in September as it starts to ferment just a bit
Hitting the woods in the fall and smelling that fresh deep earth on my boots
fresh peaches
charcoal grilling!!!!

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Yep you got me there. ...

Got a hot cup of coffee now and getting ready to fire up the grill and smoke some deer.
Charcoal and oak at the ready. Maple for a little extra smoke.

One thing that always sticks in my mind is the rush of smoke just after we fire the cannon or mortar. Nothing is really the same as burning black powder.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I forgot BACON
Yep
And that is why I smoke with Maple, it is like you are cooking bacon all day long.

But as good as the smell is have you ever been in a office where someone burns it? Hard to get that smell to go away.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
Well coffee and bacon are no brainers for just about everybody but how about fresh homemade bread baking in the oven? And I know this one won't be for everybody but the smell of someone nearby smoking a really good cigar. When I was a kid we'd pull up really small sassafras saplings and chew on the root. If I do that now my mind harkens back to those halcyon days of my youth when life moved slower and I had the time to enjoy life's simple pleasures.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have yet to find out what plant produces it but it has a sweet tobacco-ish smell like my grandmother's peach snuff. I've smelled it from the Carolinas to central Florida and if I could find the source I'd plant an acre of it.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Well coffee and bacon are no brainers for just about everybody but how about fresh homemade bread baking in the oven? And I know this one won't be for everybody but the smell of someone nearby smoking a really good cigar. When I was a kid we'd pull up really small sassafras saplings and chew on the root. If I do that now my mind harkens back to those halcyon days of my youth when life moved slower and I had the time to enjoy life's simple pleasures.

I'm down with a good cigar smell as well.

One odd one I like is when a car is burning rich and you get the rich gas smell.

Infamous1

Eight Pointer
Lol here is a weird one. When the dairies start feeding silage I love that smell! My dad used to say it was awful but I have always loved it.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
In no particular order:

Woodsmoke
How the earth and everything outside smells after it rains
Tomato plants. They smell very green to me. If the color green had a smell, that would be it.
Rosemary
Dried nettle leaves
Coffee
Starting to enjoy the smell of burnt gunpowder the more I practice with using firearms. :)

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Reminds me of my favorite Gene Hill quote:

"If in a single day we smell coffee, dawn, gun oil, powder, a wet dog, woodsmoke, game on the grill, and the promise of a west wind for a fair tomorrow, and if it’s possible for us to reek “happy”, that’s just what we will do."

deerslayer60

Ten Pointer
The smell of race fuel with maxima castor oil pre mix in a finely tuned cr 500 in early morning practice nothing better except bacon of course

Nothing like the smell of a campfire. Ive been known to take a redneck shower in the smoke. The smell of fresh fish or backstraps over the top of it is even better.

Last edited:

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Speedies!!! Might have to make some tonight.

Brake and burnt rubber when traversing around VIR.

The wife when she climbs into bed.

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Walking near a persimmon tree when it’s fruiting, honeysuckle, a field spread with chicken joy (yep it’s weird, I’ll tote that), and the smell of an old 50s model super A fired up on a cold October morning to go cut wood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
RJR curing tobacco, I'm fortunate enough to live close enough to sometimes get a afternoon of that hot maple syrup smell.
Wild fire azaleas
Swamp ginger lily
Bream on the bed
Prince Albert in the can, just for the memory of my grand dad.
Fresh danish yeast rolls
So many more that have already been named