This may shock some people but....

gangrig252

It's a never ending cycle, yall sell your house in Maryland for 6 hundred, by a house here in the historic district for 4...first you dont like our style, then you find out you cant afford to maintain your home in the historic district and you sell out to another yankee and move back. It's a never ending cycle.....yall move here and bitch.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
OS, your brain and mine must work completely different on this topic. You've said something like this several times, and I keep scratching my head.

When I look at those numbers My first thought is: if you overfish stocks for 30 years, you'll eventually put yourself out of business. I'm not saying that is the whole story, but the market is there. If the fish were there, they'd still be catching them. I'd say they kept going back to the well and found it had less water. Is it possible that catching 400 million pounds a year, or even 200 million wasn't sustainable?
I agree that we are looking at it it with completely different bias.
I cant figure that catches almost 40 years ago lead to the comm catches today being down so much.
Must be methods or species (menheaden?) that have changed.
That being said if we pine for the good oles days the facts as stated say that the comms were killing 20 times more finfish then than they are now. and rec fishing was great?
I cant figure how that translates into them being the problem today?
But as I said I must be missing something.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah yall, quit yer bichin. Jimbob gonna cook hotdogs on a burn barrel in his tighty whities if he wants to.

You forgot to add, while drinking liquor and firing his .280 Remington 4-5 times into the dirt bank just to welcome the neighbors. That normally sets the mood in the hood from day 1. :ROFLMAO:

I literally had a buddy that did that every time he got a new neighbor. Never had any complaints or issues from any of them. LOL....

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That being said if we pine for the good oles days the facts as stated say that the comms were killing 20 times more finfish then than they are now. and rec fishing was great?

A fish killed is a fish killed.

If these were real NC turkey harvest numbers:

Year 1 - Total harvest 200,000, limit is 5 birds, season 4 months long, hunting is great
Year 10 - Total harvest 100,000, limit dropped to 4, season still 4 months, hunting good
Year 20 - Total harvest is 50,000, limit dropped to 3, season 2 months, hunting fair
Year 30 - Total harvest is 20,000, limit dropped to 2, season 1 month, hunting poor

Would you not consider that over harvest was a problem?
Would you agree that hunters in years 1-20 had a share in reducing the population by 90% in year 30?
Would your conclusion be that we should just go back to a limit of 5 birds with a 4 month season because that was when the hunting was great?

darenative

Twelve Pointer
I cant figure that catches almost 40 years ago lead to the comm catches today being down so much.
With limited menhaden processing plants on the east coast the menhaden fishery is a fraction of what it used to be. Once you add those numbers back into the total take it paints a more detailed and accurate pic. Couple that with increased regulation and decreased participation in a lot of fisheries in nc, the picture isnt as ugly as many try to paint it.

23mako

Ten Pointer

I gave you a reason on the previous page. You can choose to believe it or not. I know it may interfere with your ability to constantly play devil's advocate on here though. :)

Last edited:

23mako

Ten Pointer
With limited menhaden processing plants on the east coast the menhaden fishery is a fraction of what it used to be. Once you add those numbers back into the total take it paints a more detailed and accurate pic. Couple that with increased regulation and decreased participation in a lot of fisheries in nc, the picture isnt as ugly as many try to paint it.

Here are the numbers with menhaden backed out (might be slightly off as I may be including in comm finish that DMF isn't). This doesn't paint a bleak picture or show a trend? Participation is most likely down because there isn't as much to harvest as there used to be.

Attachments

• Commercial Finfish Landings since 1981 Average Change - Copy.PNG
    Commercial Finfish Landings since 1981 Average Change - Copy.PNG
    67 KB · Views: 21

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Thank you for the adjusted figures mako.
It really just cements my interpretation of the situation but that is just my bias kicking in.
Sky hawk I thank you for trying to dumb it down for me with the turkey example. they needed you in SC to help them with their turkey regs. :)

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Here are the numbers with menhaden backed out (might be slightly off as I may be including in comm finish that DMF isn't). This doesn't paint a bleak picture or show a trend? Participation is most likely down because there isn't as much to harvest as there used to be.

If it's as bad as you try to paint it, wouldnt the rec side be experiencing the same trends?
I believe you posted this. It's not painting quite the same pic as the comm harvest totalsScreenshot_20190809-095242_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

23mako

Ten Pointer
It might or might not I'd have to think about it. The only reason I say that is because I would assume that on the rec side effort has significantly increased with time. So we may have tens of thousands of more recreational fishermen now catching approximately the same average since 1981. Wouldn't we expect those rec harvest numbers to be much higher based on more effort (assuming there is more effort)?

A rec fishermen is going fishing based on recreation and dependent upon time and disposable income. A commercial fishermen is going to go to make a buck. If the fish aren't there, then the commercial guy isn't going to waste his resources to go after something. I guess what I am saying is that to me, the decrease in commercial effort is driven more by the lack of fish as opposed to other factors. Not saying regulations don't have an affect at all but in totality it seems like the fish just aren't there like they used to be. Apologies if this came across as word vomit.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
Participation is most likely down because there isn't as much to harvest as there used to be.
Participation is down because were not allowed to freaking fish..................literally, you can not set nets in the main areas that use to produce the harvest numbers you're quoting. Roanoke, Croatan and east side of Pamlico Sound.

From the 64/264 bridges at Manns Harbor/Manteo/Nags Head to the south you can not set a anchored gillnet until you get to Rodanthe. Even there it is a small area you can set in four nights a week.

There use to be about 20 to 30 of us that gillnetted, 7 days a week in that area. No one is doing it now. It closed pretty much year round to everything but small mesh net in the spring and small mesh strike netting.

Those landings are gone because of sea turtle regulations, not a lack of fish. That is a fact whether you want to accept it or not.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
Flounder, bluefish, red drum, black drum and sheepshead.

But it has impacted all landings in those areas because most of those guys are doing something else now so they're not there to fish small mesh either.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
This a joke or are you serious?

I am serious but I admit I am no salt water fisherman. I looked at the chart just out of curiosity and saw dolphins. I didn’t realize that was a thing. My bad if that is basic knowledge or it i read it wrong......no malice intentions here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
I am serious but I admit I am no salt water fisherman. I looked at the chart just out of curiosity and saw dolphins. I didn’t realize that was a thing. My bad if that is basic knowledge or it i read it wrong......no malice intentions here.
Yeah it's a fish, not the same as "flipper" which is porpoise.dolphin.jpg

Last edited: