Flooded timber maintenance for ducks.

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
Finally was able to find some barn yard grass seed to plant along the areas I like to keep open. Interested to see how well it works here. Hoping it will be dry enough to disk some of my flooded timber spots so I can drill this seed.

Corn impoundments are looking good but time to get rice and Japanese millet in ground. Fertilized smart weed and pin oaks yesterday which should of been done weeks ago. Dove fields are looking good. Less than 60 days away!
I will Post Picts of timber openings soon.

Attachments

• B021AE30-811D-474F-AF14-4B4412AC5FDE.jpeg
    B021AE30-811D-474F-AF14-4B4412AC5FDE.jpeg
    216.2 KB · Views: 121
  • 2D0F0CE1-B391-4243-BB47-897E89EEFB3B.jpeg
    2D0F0CE1-B391-4243-BB47-897E89EEFB3B.jpeg
    55.2 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
Finally was able to find some barn yard grass seed to plant along the areas I like to keep open. Interested to see how well it works here. Hoping it will be dry enough to disk some of my flooded timber spots so I can drill this seed.

Corn impoundments are looking good but time to get rice and Japanese millet in ground. Fertilized smart weed and pin oaks yesterday which should of been done weeks ago. Dove fields are looking good. Less than 60 days away!
I will Post Picts of timber openings soon.

I greatly appreciate hunters who "give back" like you do Roanoke. I have been away taking my wife on trip to Alaska, late on planting rice, will do so Friday. Should be ok for a late Oct flooding. corn looking really good in Hyde. Hopefully no storms to hurt us this year.

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
Can not decide if I like water lily. It is very good early season but I think that NC is too far North. Nutrias love it and have taken out half of it. Another problem I have is that it allows ice to form faster and all of the vegetation will not allow ice eaters to work properly.

Last edited:

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
55576166-E784-448B-9ABD-07B2A542D489.jpeg

I control this area to keep around 20 acres flooded with ten inches of water. Drilled Japanese mullet and barnyard grass. Secret here is the Pin Oaks. Ducks love them.

Last edited:

kahunter

Eight Pointer
View attachment 31122

I control this area to keep around 20 acres flooded with ten inches of water. Drilled Japanese mullet and barnyard grass. Secret here is the Pin Oaks. Ducks love them.
was that a one time clearing or do you clean it up like that yearly?? Reason I ask is you may want to give the trees a little buffer of no work around each one. You can do some long term damage (not immediately seen) to those trees by working right up to the trunk. Love the spot!

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
Only once so I can disk, bush hog and spray as needed. Normal green tree reservoir management which is different from moist soil management. This area stays dry until I flood it so being able to disk or drill is essential . Implemented this type of water management on a few places and flood at different times of the year to maximize food source. I have some 50 year old pin oaks in a few spots and I fertilize the Pin Oaks every spring. Thin out the gum and maple but leave Cypress and Juniper because of the timber value. Extremely late getting this spot finished but Japanese Millet takes 50 days for seed to mature as long as leaves are above water. Should be a productive spot as long as we can get through the rest of hurricane season with no storms or big rain events.

Last edited:

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
Not sure what you call these but a biologist sent me this picture. Mine does not look this good but it works keep water in or out. No backhoe or steel culvert needed. Just need a shovel and a good amount of sweat equity. Going to put out about five more this month. I put out some crayfish traps around the openings but always have the snake charmer ready! Do not really enjoy the work environment in the low grounds this time of year but it has to be done before the fall migration.

2F50FF5F-F3F8-4879-B2CD-34CF096AC1AC.jpegC27ADD4D-91A4-4CEA-8386-F0961F483686.jpeg

Last edited:

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
Thanks, I have a lot of improvement to do on mine. Just used what I had around the shop. Mostly cut pig wire zipped to rebar. Made a second one this morning with an old crab pot. You have to anchor down in ground with rebar or beavers will push it away.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Thanks, I have a lot of improvement to do on mine. Just used what I had around the shop. Mostly cut pig wire zipped to rebar. Made a second one this morning with an old crab pot. You have to anchor down in ground with rebar or beavers will push it away.

correct - I've got a good writeup on them that the Minnesota DNR did up - PM me your email address and I'll send it to you

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
Buckwheat.
6E1B1FC5-5FE8-4092-A73D-1002E4FF103C.jpeg

The below looks ugly but it is great for quail. I broadcasted iron clay peas before I drilled my sunflowers. These peas grow around the stalks of sunflowers. You can use cheap seeds because you can not spray prowl.

B13B10F7-61EC-4E7F-909C-4586ABEAE3FF.jpeg

8AC765C5-AAB4-43C7-A0B4-027EAB9DC917.png79F8A648-0084-4FA9-8774-809844C6CB82.jpeg

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
I have been impressed with how well the Clemson levelers work. We had eight inches in three days last week and got standing water out of impoundments in no time. A huge cost savings because I have not had to run pumps to keep water out.