Bow season 2019

EazyE02

Button Buck
Think I'm gonna stick with the Ramcat broad heads again this year! Also looking into a range finder this year, any good ones?

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
The halo is 100$ and works. I was fortunate enough to work in golf for years. Guess what was in the lost and found for the 3 months no claim give away?? Range finders.
Mine doesn’t have angle comp and I wish it did. A leupold I had did but it got ran over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarrinG

Six Pointer
If using for archery, just get a cheap one and range the trees around you, then put it away. If you're the average Archer, 35 yards is your average shot distance. Really no need to know the deer is 400 yards away in the field.
Exactly what I do also. For bowhunting I see no need for a ultra-expensive rangfinder. My older Bushnell Yardage Pro works great. Range trees around me and put it back in my pack.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Except when your 25’ up and you range the deer for 30 and the cut is 23yds and you shoot over him.

Guybo

Eight Pointer
If using for archery, just get a cheap one and range the trees around you, then put it away. If you're the average Archer, 35 yards is your average shot distance. Really no need to know the deer is 400 yards away in the field.

I agree!, if i'm in a treestand i range the trees around me as mentioned. I don't really know if it makes a difference or not but i range straight across to the tree and not down at the base. I've never had any issues missing deer when doing then as it has always worked for me. Of course from a ground blind it doesn't matter.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Except when your 25’ up and you range the deer for 30 and the cut is 23yds and you shoot over him.

Umm.... your math is not accurate.

Your actual shot distance would be about 28 yds with the above given numbers. If you shot over one that you ranged at 30 and it was actually 28 yds, then either you have a REALLY slow bow or you jerked.

You have to be REALLY high up a tree for the yardage to change significantly, or be shooting at really long ranges. Steepness of the angle really only comes into play with long range shots (greater than 200 yds) or really steep shooting, like if you were standing on a cliff and shooting straight down.

Most people miss shots from angles while bow hunting because they do not bend at the waist when shooting. Instead the only move their arms.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Y’all are right. It measures 28.8 yards from the base of the tree to target. It was just in theory that if you don’t have angle compensation on a range finder your up and down distances shooting a bow will vary.

Last edited:

Guybo

Eight Pointer
Most people miss shots from angles while bow hunting because they do not bend at the waist when shooting. Instead the only move their arms.

I agree but now I'm wondering. I guess I could start another thread but I'll ask here. How many people stand up to shoot? I always practice sitting in a chair and have always shot deer from a sitting position. The only time I can recall ever standing up was to get a shot at a deer straight behind me. I like to stay seated to avoid getting caught moving but then I can see where you could stand if you spotted the deer early enough coming in. I have just always preferred to shoot while sitting and it has always worked great for me.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
I agree but now I'm wondering. I guess I could start another thread but I'll ask here. How many people stand up to shoot? I always practice sitting in a chair and have always shot deer from a sitting position. The only time I can recall ever standing up was to get a shot at a deer straight behind me. I like to stay seated to avoid getting caught moving but then I can see where you could stand if you spotted the deer early enough coming in. I have just always preferred to shoot while sitting and it has always worked great for me.
I have shot deer both sitting and standing. Most deer I have killed with a bow have been standing, but that is because I stay standing while in the tree stand the majority of the time. I am always standing the first hour or so and last hour of so of light. I rarely sit for more than 10-15 minutes at a time every hour. I don't know why. I guess I am just too restless to sit for long periods like that. Also, I rarely hunt higher than 20', and most of the times, I hunt at about 15'. My shot angles are usually made steeper by topography and not my height in the tree. That is another reason I don't climb very high. When hunting mountainous terrain, I can be 12-15' up a tree but be 40-50' above where the deer are traveling due to terrain.

DarrinG

Six Pointer
I shoot 99% of the time standing also. I also stand the majority of the time in the stand, especially during the peak hours like in early season when the deer are on a regular dawn/dusk pattern. Draw and bend at the waist is what I've always done and never had any issues shooting high unless it was operator error, LoL.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
If I'm in a climber I stand and shoot, but I'm 90% loc ons and I shoot sitting. Just less movement and the loc ons allow me a lot of room to turn. Usually I have deer around me for hours within 40 yards, most recent big deer made me wait 12+ minutes while in bow range before I could shoot.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I stand. I practice shooting from all positions, but I stand when meat is the target.