Broke out the Marine-Tex...Updated 8/13

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
I bought a new Browning X-Bolt in 7mm-08 last fall that just couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. No matter what ammo I tried, factory or proven hand loads, it would not shoot under 2" at 100 yds. I new the bases and rings were not the culprit, the scope was tried on various other rifles to confirm that it was not the issue. The chamber, rifling and crown checked out ok.
The way that the shots were randomly spraying the target, it had to be the bedding. To say that Browning tried to bed the rifle adequately is a joke. They just roughed up a few spots around the action screws and smeared 2 big dollops of what looked like peanut butter in there and called it bedded.
I chose to bed it at just 2 points of contact with a very minimal skim around the magazine well. I was really upset how they scuffed the exact areas around the action screws...very rough. I took the dremel and hogged out about .060 to remove their mess and try to gain a better well for the bedding compound. Got her all taped up and put clay where I needed it. Taped around the barrel to hold it true down the length of the barrel channel. Johnson paste wax for release agent. This is my first bed using Marine-Tex, very happy with the ease of mixing and the viscosity, does not run and make a major mess. Beyond satisfied with how the project is going, I guarantee it will shoot better compared to the crap job they sent that rifle out of the factory with. Hopefully start a new load development soon now that we have it bedded successfully. Looking forward to more consistent shooting and looking to use this rifle on a DIY pronghorn hunt in the near future.....
5BD9A2A7-ACF1-4B71-889A-8F5733FF539F.jpeg

Last edited:

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Looks good. Let us know how she does.

I’d like to see more pictures after it cures.

If the rifle is new new it might need some good barrel scrubbing and rounds downs the tube to smooth some rough tooling marks in the lands and groves.
I sure hope that 2” shrinks.
As my rifle isn’t the same it tuned best with 65# torque on the front and 25# in the back.

I really had to sand some forearm away from the barrel also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
As for sending some rounds down the tube to clear some rough spots, I always use JB bore cleaner before I ever shoot the first round in a new gun. Just scrub it good will clean it up, will also shorten the clean up time after firing. That stuff is amazing.
Think Midway USA carries it. Bottle will last for years.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Nice! I'll be interested to see how it shoots. I have a friend who really likes Browning rifles and it is a rare day when he can find one that holds a decent group. 1 1/2 - 2" seems to be the norm for many of them. I don't recall him ever bedding one. That may be the ticket. ;)

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
If the rifle is new new it might need some good barrel scrubbing and rounds downs the tube to smooth some rough tooling marks in the lands and groves.
I sure hope that 2” shrinks.
As my rifle isn’t the same it tuned best with 65# torque on the front and 25# in the back.

The rifle had 300 rounds shot thru it before I decided to bed it. I also tried various torque weights on the action screws to no avail....funny you mentioned that, the techs at Browning never could give me a solid answer as to what I should torque the screws to...they just said " tighten it up real good" ?

As for sending some rounds down the tube to clear some rough spots, I always use JB bore cleaner before I ever shoot the first round in a new gun. Just scrub it good will clean it up, will also shorten the clean up time after firing. That stuff is amazing.

Amen. Before I ever shot the rifle I took a good rod and bore guide and scrubbed the bore for almost 1.5 hours with the JB compound. It certainly makes cleanup a breeze.

*My 24 hr. cure time is almost complete, can't wait to pull the action to see the final results and start cleaning it up for re-assembly.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Finally got out in the 93 degree heat and 10 mph winds to see if any improvements were made by simply bedding the rifle. No other changes made. During the last session the best group I could shoot was about 2.5" at best.
Today I started off with factory ammo, Hornady American Whitetail 139 gr. Interlock. The first 3 shot group went 5/8".....
I'll start some serious load development when the heat eases a bit, but for now Im ok with it.
214F3678-23E6-47A4-BFA5-0CE16B859328.jpeg