Bow Season & concealed carry

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
Is it legal to CC a pistol during bow season. I have no interest in skirting a Law or using the pistol during the hunt, just wanted to know if a 9mm on a belt or in my bag as a self defense weapon was ok to carry.

Have had a bad experience with trespassers on one farm & would prefer to have more than just a pointy stick in a bad situation.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Concealed carry, open carry... Hell, I carry. If you're legal, you're legal. When I'm hunting on my property, what's on my person is legal and my right.

For the sake of your question, I do believe you're allowed to "dispatch" an animal wounded by an arrow with a pistol. My memory is so scattered, I try not to commit much to it, only go by common sense.

I wouldn't be traipsing through the woods with a bow, 9mm, and a satchel of blow. If memory serves, that's still a no-no. Lol.

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
You can carry a rimfire (i.e., .22) weapon openly, and if you have your CHP you can conceal it. But f it's not legal to hunt with a centerfire weapon in that place and date, you cannot take your daily carry pistol with you . Also note that many of the game lands that are privately owned but managed by NC Wildlife (e.g., Harris) also prohibit concealed carry all the time.

This came up previously in this thread:
https://nchuntandfish.com/forums/in...carry-a-side-arm-while-archery-hunting.38110/

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I don't think that is correct.

You can CC any handgun 24-7 on private property. Bow,.BP, gun or closed season.
I appreciate the respectful way you disagreed with me. The regs are confusing, sometimes seem to conflict each other, so it's natural that people might interpret them differently. Here's what I was basing my post on.

This one says you can have a .22 to dispatch a wounded animal but does not speak to general defensive carry:
http://www.eregulations.com/northcarolina/hunting-fishing/general-hunting-regulations/

It's confusing as it can be, but here are the regs regarding firearms carry on game lands, as posted on the NCWILDLIFE web site. Click the "Game Lands Regulations" link on the page. I read this one to say that certain game lands allow a defensive firearm outside of gun season and others do not. The ones that do not seem to be owned by private companies like Duke Power (Harris Game Lands).
https://www.ncwildlife.org/Hunting/Where-To-Hunt-Shoot/Public-Places

Firearms may be carried openly, or concealed with a valid concealed handgun permit, at any time on game lands, except for the game lands noted in this section. Hunting is allowed ONLY during the open seasons on game birds and game animals. On Buckhorn, Chatham, Harris, Hyco, Lee, Mayo, and Sutton Lake game lands, and Pee Dee River Game Land north of U.S. 74, and that portion of R. Wayne Bailey-Caswell Game Land that is located north of U.S. 158 and east of N.C. 119 during closed seasons and closed hunting days on game birds (waterfowl, doves, woodcock, snipe, rails, gallinules, moorhens, coots, grouse, pheasant, quail, turkey) and game animals (deer, bear, fox, rabbits, squirrels, bobcats, opossum, raccoon), it is unlawful to possess any firearm readily available for use. During that time in which fox season is the only open season for a game animal, it is also unlawful to possess these weapons. However, persons may possess a firearm during the closed season on these game lands if:
• it is cased or not immediately available for use;
• it is used by persons participating in field trials on field trial areas;
• it is possessed in designated camping areas for defense of persons and property;
• or if it is a .22-caliber pistol with a barrel, not greater than 7.5 inches in length and shooting only short, long or long rifle ammunition, carried as a side arm.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Some times it is very hard to find what is correct when you end up needing to look several locations for state, county and federal law.
Plus they some time just tell you what you can't do and not clear telling you what you can do.

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I just reread this thread and the regulations, and think my earlier posts were wrong. It says you can only dispatch with a .22, and you can’t carry centerfire on some game lands. But the OP wasn’t asking about GL. So I guess it’s ok to carry a defensive pistol before gun season except on some game lands. Just don’t shoot the deer with it.

I bought a .22 compact just to carry when guns aren’t allowed and I guess I didn’t need to. Oh well now I have another fun little gun that’s cheap to shoot.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
. In addition, a hunter or trapper lawfully taking a wild animal or wild bird by another lawful method may use a knife, pistol, or other swift method of killing the animal or bird taken. The Wildlife Resources Commission may, however, G.S. 113-291.1 Page 4 restrict or prohibit the carrying of firearms during special seasons or in special areas reserved for the taking of wildlife with primitive weapons or other restricted methods.
(k) If a hunter kills or wounds a big game animal during the hunting hours authorized by subsection (a) of this section, the hunter may use a portable light source and a single dog on a leash to assist the hunter in retrieving the dead or wounded big game animal, and may dispatch a wounded big game animal using only a .22-caliber rimfire pistol, archery equipment, or a handgun otherwise legal for that hunting season. Pursuit and retrieval under this subsection may occur between the hours of one-half hour after sunset and 11:00 p.m. if necessary, but such pursuit and retrieval may not be accomplished using a motorized vehicle. For purposes of this section, the term "dispatch" means the quick and humane killing of a wounded animal to prevent further suffering through infection, starvation, or other distress in the wild.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
If there is no regulation or law prohibiting an activity then it is legal. A LE officer has to cite you with a specific law or administrative code violation.

I know WEO's who are very pro 2nd Amendment and if you have a CC they could care less. Then there are others who enforce the letter of the law and follow orders and the Constitution be damned.

I carry a little Ruger .22 Bearcat SA for dispatching critters. It takes up very little space.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Which .22 do you guys recommend, mine will be used strictly for the dispatch of wounded deer I've tracked for others during bow and ml season, so I will be carrying it in easily accessible spot, occasionally crawling and moving through thickets tracking. Has to be magnum. My buddy recommended a Ruger single six.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

NCbowjunkie

Ten Pointer
Which .22 do you guys recommend, mine will be used strictly for the dispatch of wounded deer I've tracked for others during bow and ml season, so I will be carrying it in easily accessible spot, occasionally crawling and moving through thickets tracking. Has to be magnum. My buddy recommended a Ruger single six.

I would look at the heritage 22 with magnum cylinder and a lite shoulder or under arm type holster

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Keltec pmr 30 is another option
Ahhhhhhhh, PMR 30 is a .22 mag that is prohibited. The law reads .22 short, long or long rifle. No, I stand corrected, it only states .22 caliber.

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns

My carry guns for that are the 351c 22 mag or 43 c 22 lr smith wheel guns.
One stays on me or in the pack and the other is on the ATV.

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
You can carry a rimfire (i.e., .22) weapon openly, and if you have your CHP you can conceal it. But f it's not legal to hunt with a centerfire weapon in that place and date, you cannot take your daily carry pistol with you . Also note that many of the game lands that are privately owned but managed by NC Wildlife (e.g., Harris) also prohibit concealed carry all the time.

This came up previously in this thread:
https://nchuntandfish.com/forums/in...carry-a-side-arm-while-archery-hunting.38110/
Incorrect

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I like that 351c, pricey, hard for me to spend that on a dang .22 though

I know the feeling.
But it is really nice to have something so light weight you can CC in swim trunks.
They also have no lock.
The 317 is nice, have an early pre lock. Good lightweight gun but hooks on pockets or stuff all the time, even with that stub hammer.
Plus the wife and I carry the airweight a lot so the feel is the same.

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I know the feeling.
But it is really nice to have something so light weight you can CC in swim trunks.
They also have no lock.
The 317 is nice, have an early pre lock. Good lightweight gun but hooks on pockets or stuff all the time, even with that stub hammer.
Plus the wife and I carry the airweight a lot so the feel is the same.
What is the trigger weight like on the 351c? I love my 317, but the trigger pull weight is crazy heavy. The only way to shoot it accurately is single action (cock the hammer and then fire). I assume the 351c is much lighter with the hidden hammer.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
What is the trigger weight like on the 351c? I love my 317, but the trigger pull weight is crazy heavy. The only way to shoot it accurately is single action (cock the hammer and then fire). I assume the 351c is much lighter with the hidden hammer.
About 350 pounds give or take 100.

Yes it is a bunch but it is made so you can pocket carry or on a lanyard.

Never had a deer I shot tell me it was too much.....
Side note the 317 does shoot better being single action option but if you spend time slow pulling it gets better and I can deal with it.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns

Pmr30.... 30rnds of 22mag is just plain fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wl704

Ten Pointer
So, .22 rimfire pistol legal, but 5.56 centerfire pistol is not.

Though (relatively) new, any insights on the legal rationale?