There goes the neighborhood! Bad news for the Roanoke

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
There are spotted bass in the Dan and Staunton Rivers above Kerr . the main concentration comes from Belews Creek as Belews Lake has spots but you still dont see many caught in the rivers up there . YET. Bad news is some have made it through the 3 dams and now they are in the lower Roanoke. I fish it regularly and this is the first I have caught there. Tooth patch and all. We regularly catch some hawgs in there but I remember when this happened to the cape fear and we went from catching none then it was 10 percent spots to 90 percent largies and now it is 90 percent spots to 10 percent largemouths, also the problem is NCWRC stocked Kentuckies insteadof Bama spots in most places they stocked them . I hope these are Bama's and not the kentuckies they put into the cape fear.

and yes it had a tooth patch

We caught several Hawgs this past weekend but the second and 3rd picture are bad news for the Roanoke

Oh, videoout in 2 -3weeks. I am 3 videos behind!

20190706_164831.jpgDSCF4910.JPGDSCF4912.JPG

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
As I understand it the WRC stocked Kentucky bass in only two areas- Kerr Scott Lake and tributaries to the Cape Fear River.

I believe the VDGIF also experimented and stocked Kentucky bass in places years ago.

Any stockings now are being done by anglers.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
spotted bassin Kerr scott should be mostly Bama's asplenty have been caught over 4 lbs and kentuckies aint going to do that.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
Spots are going to have a target on their backs soon enough. hopefully there numbers will be dropped way back, they have destroyed some great small mouth lakes in WNC.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
man messing around with Nature,,,,like he can do it better,,,,

very few "stockings" of non-native species, whether fish, fowl, mammal or plant, turns out well - yes some have (never say never) but most generally come around to bite us

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
man messing around with Nature,,,,like he can do it better,,,,

very few "stockings" of non-native species, whether fish, fowl, mammal or plant, turns out well - yes some have (never say never) but most generally come around to bite us
what i dont like is the answer has been to stock another fish to handle the problem fish. At least NC is starting to think a little and stocking hybrids that cant reproduce in lakes that have problems with blue back herring.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Spots are like the welfare of green carp fishermen.... as if the green turds weren't easy enough as is. Largemouth are like the fat woman at last call.... hard to keep off of ya.... spots.... they just flat out hook themselves. I just thought I hated a largemouth until the spots took hold.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Spots are like the welfare of green carp fishermen.... as if the green turds weren't easy enough as is. Largemouth are like the fat woman at last call.... hard to keep off of ya.... spots.... they just flat out hook themselves. I just thought I hated a largemouth until the spots took hold.
it's a shame those channel bass cant get up to those invaders in the Roanoke.
they will truly eat any thing dead or alive. the salt's vacuum cleaner.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
it's a shame those channel bass cant get up to those invaders in the Roanoke.
they will truly eat any thing dead or alive. the salt's vacuum cleaner.

You’re spot on with that. Had a conversation with a forum member yesterday about that very thing. They’re just big hungry dumb vacuums trying to make a living. We had a laugh about people getting hung up on needing this or that bait when in fact they’ll eat almost anything under their nose.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
You’re spot on with that. Had a conversation with a forum member yesterday about that very thing. They’re just big hungry dumb vacuums trying to make a living. We had a laugh about people getting hung up on needing this or that bait when in fact they’ll eat almost anything under their nose.
And they are so accommodating, from kayaks to bank fisherman they are always available somewhere.
Glad they live far away from me.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
they saved norman imo.
but I certainly understand negative feelings from folks that are losing smallmouths.
You lose largemouths in some rivers, cape fear below buckhorn is hard to catch a largemouth . I used to catch 1 spot to every 9 lm and now it is reversed.

mbh78

Ten Pointer
Contributor
You guys must fish a different part of Lake Norman than I've ever been to. While I will agree that there are some good sized spots in Norman, they are few and far between. And I don't think spots have "saved" Lake Norman, unless you consider decimating the largemouth population as saving. They are fun and easy fish to catch, but I think they outgrew the forage base at Norman a long time ago.

mbh78

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Spots in norman are alabama spots or now called Alabama bass. Most spots in other nc rivers are Kentucky spots which D ont get near ad big.
This may be true, but my observations have been the opposite. Bigger spots on average in most every other lake I fish that has spots. Hickory and Kerr Scott have considerably larger spots on average than Norman.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
So if wildlife took off restrictions on spots do you think it would bring them back in check? Do you think I enough people would keep them to make a difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
So if wildlife took off restrictions on spots do you think it would bring them back in check? Do you think I enough people would keep them to make a difference?

If they took all the fishing shows off TV it might after a few generations so it wouldn't be ingrained in everyone that it was sacrilegious to keep one. I see people from Ms. and Al. where they still keep bass to eat and folks about fall over dead when they see them on stringers. LMAO

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
No.

Lake Chatuge is full of Alabama spots and you can keep 10 per day

Wildlife did look at liberalizing spotted bass limits at one time but the enforcement folks were not sure of splitting spots of both species out from other black bass because they hybridize

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
No.

Lake Chatuge is full of Alabama spots and you can keep 10 per day

Wildlife did look at liberalizing spotted bass limits at one time but the enforcement folks were not sure of splitting spots of both species out from other black bass because they hybridize

I’m sure some large mouth would end up being called spots or hybrids