Best Lessons You Have Ever Learned

Tar Heel Sportsman

Four Pointer
One of my favorite things about chasing whitetail is the vast amounts of knowledge that is gained with each trip in the woods. What are some of y'alls greatest pieces of information that y'all have learned over the years? In addition to general lessons learned, what are some of the most important lessons y'all have learned in regards to hunting public land? Figured this would be a fun thread to start that everyone could learn from.

-Brian

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
Wow. I thought I was a cool kid whenever I've found deer tracks. Goes to show, there is a lot to learn. Thank you, guys!

We all do. I’ve. been hunting deer for most of my life. I’m closer to 70 than 60 now , but I learn something new practically every single time I go into the deer woods.

Hunting or scouting or food plotting. Nature will speak to you in a very loud fashion. As long as you simply take the time to listen. Not with just your ears mind you. But all of your senses.

Lots of folks seem to be in too big of a hurry to do that simple thing.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
If you have anything resembling a cold, cough, the sniffles, stay home if you aren’t sitting in a stand where the average shot is less than 100-150 yards...

It’s a lot more important to be able to get in quietly and stealthily than anything else...

If you twitch/move they’ll bust you if you’re the invisible man...if your still you can dress like one of the village people and kill deer

Johnnie

Ten Pointer
Many years ago, two buddies and I leased the same tract. We all had one favorite spot and we shared equally. One early November day, the temps were in the mid 80's, all three of us separately considered hunting that day but didn't due to the heat because "the deer don't move in the heat". Trail camera showed that the biggest buck on our property ( a wonderful 140+" 9pt ) showed up at that stand 45 minutes before dark that day and hung out til dark.

You can't win if you don't enter.....

when I hunted jersey it would be very cold or raining. I would just out last,everyone . No matter what was always prepared with a thermos and lunch in the tree .Never left until after shooting time. Other hunters I was with would be in trucks or a cabin bitching about the weather as I drug in my deer:cool:

p,s, I hunted gun season on club prop, and went into thick cedars. Where the longest shot was maybe 30yrds using 000 buckshot. bow season was behind the houses where the deer got moved off the lawns when people went to work. just to easy but fun when I was young and working with only a few hrs in am and pm.

Slong

Four Pointer
Bucks will move on windy days to fields. Shot one of my biggest deer in howling wind one afternoon. Almost left bc the tree was swaying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
^Maybe your lesson is to stop changing your mind(y)
Lol...usually I change my mind due to the wind being wrong for that spot and someone else goes there anyway and boom.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk