Big Rock Blue Marlin Tournament

Redneck Rocker Dude

Old Mossy Horns
Been following it. Sounded like an amazing bite yesterday! That little kid caught a stud of a mahi! I think that will probably hold in that division. I heard there were a couple Big fish lost...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gotta feel for Sashimi... fought a fish for 7hrs only to have to DQ it..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

SM270

Ten Pointer
Can you only weigh one fish per tournament or what is the limit? 1 per day? I see you have to have 2 off days during the whole deal.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Only would take a 100,000 or so donation from each of us to outfit our 60+ ft Bayliss/Spencer to fish the tournament. Makes most other hobbies seem cheap.

naaaah,,,,we'll recruit the dude/dudette with the boat,,,who wouldn't want this crowd as their crew?>?

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don't know what that means. Did they land the fish? Or not? Why the DQ?

My understanding from listening to the conversation and captain Randy on the radio was that they got the fish to the boat, gaffed it, then lost it before it could be boated. I believe once an attempt is made to gaff the fish, that fish has to be brought to the dock and weighed or it's DQ'ed.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Copied from the 2019 Rules:

9. 400 Point Penalty
Boat will be penalized four hundred pounds from the weight of the largest blue marlin weighed in by the boat during the week and a penalty of four hundred points will be taken away from the total of release points accumulated by said boat if:
  1. Fish does not meet minimum length or weight
  2. Fish has been boated but not presented to the weighmaster. A fish is considered boated when any portion of the fish or gaff breaks the outside vertical plane of the boat.
  3. Fish has been gaffed but not presented to the weighmaster.
  4. Fish does not adhere to State and Federal Fisheries regulations.

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
The captain did the honorable thing from what I’ve heard.

I know it’s a completely different circumstance but I’ve had captains release gaffed short kings bc they weren’t long enough.

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
Losing a blue marlin next to the boat in a tournament like the big rock would be the equivalent to losing a record breaking whitetail...

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The first release yesterday went to the Good Times out of Hatteras, the boat that I'm looking for 2 more fisherman for on June 29th. Captain Andy and Tim are some kinda good folks and know how to fish. I caught my citation blue marlin on that boat 2 years ago, 13'5" and estimated 575 pounder. It was the week previous to the Big Rock tourney and I think our crew was used as a scouting trip which didn't set well with the guys wanting a freezer filler trip. :)

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Would somebody in the know clarify something for me please?
Read on another venue (by a responder to the article) that the fish caught and brought in had samples taken, then the fish were taken to a landfill for disposal. Is this true, and if so, what is the reasoning behind that action?

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
To my knowledge the fish are studied by local colleges. After that I have no idea how they dispose of them.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Would somebody in the know clarify something for me please?
Read on another venue (by a responder to the article) that the fish caught and brought in had samples taken, then the fish were taken to a landfill for disposal. Is this true, and if so, what is the reasoning behind that action?
Are you talking about the forum with posts from 2003? I'm not sure if they still do it that way. Billfish are actually quite tastey.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
they are like bass, too much mercury to be safe to eat.

Redneck Rocker Dude

Old Mossy Horns
and i am guessng they are wishing they were at the dock as well. Not much action today.
Judging by a video I saw of boats on the way out this morning, bey they all wish they were at the dock. It was nasty. The video was of a big center console taking an absolute beating. Bet the bluewater is like a washing machine today

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
reckon the long route down the Great lakes/St Lawrence

or a big arse semi!!
If its the 60 ft Wolverine I doubt its ever seen Fresh Water.

But you could take it down the Chicago River into the Illinois Waterway and to the Mississippi and into the Gulf.

The problem with shipping a boat that size, is height, you have to take the upper part off, and reconnect everything...

Up to 45 feet long they can put on a semi. I worked at a Country Club growing up. There was one guy there that took them down the Mississippi to Florida for a few members. Fuel burn was such that usually it was dollars ahead to pay a shipper.