Bullet for 7mm-08

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
What is you favorite bullet for our deer? Seems a lot of what I'm reading the cup and core bullets 140 gr and up work really well. Looking for performance on game first with acceptable groups ~1.5" or less. Bullets in factory ammo or for reloading. Shots will likely be kept less than 200 yards and probably 100 yards or less. Just wondering what has worked for y'all. Leaning toward 145 gr or even 160 gr. Setting this one up for my lady to hunt with. barrel has a 9.5" rate of twist.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
120-140 grainers

Deer will never know the difference and if she is a lil recoil shy, go with the 120, if they group well.

You'd be wise to join us at www.handloadersbench.com and ask about your specific rifle there and someone can probably put you on an accurate load out of the gate.

hope this helps!

Reactions: DRS

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I have used 139gr Hornady Interlock and a Remington 140gr Core loct and both worked fine, but IMO the 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tip is the cat's meow in the 7mm-08.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
150-160 is what we used in Idaho and Montana for bear and elk.........not sure why you'd go that route, personally.

Bigger in not usually better.

Read where most that used them on whitetail deer got good expansion and good exit wounds. I'm one that likes exits, if it is not DRT I'll take a blood trail any day. Some shoots my be extremely close and I don't like bullets to blow up and not penetrate or be to tough and just poke a pin hole. Even with my .270 I prefer a cup and core over premium bullets, when it come to shooting deer. I use Sierra Gamekings in it.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
I use Sierra Gamekings in it.
BINGO, I been using Game Kings and Pro Hunters for over 45 yrs and they tend to go thru and make a great blood trail...and I tend to load lighter lead for a flatter trajectory

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I've had good luck with factory 140 grain Ballistic tips for over 20 years. Can't ever remember losing a deer (majority were DRT) and have no reason to change now. It's the only cartridge I do not handload for since for hunting you generally don't need the sub-moa accuracy and precision needed for target shooting. It's a great cartridge and I prefer it over the .308 any day. I wish someone would make an over-the-counter rifle with a decent varmint barrel. It would be fun to play with.

Last edited:

herman

Six Pointer
Using the 7/08 factory rifle I have used the hornady 139 sst,120 hollow point and 120 lead tip and the 120 bt all worked great on deer . All kills were between 150 and 325 yds.
Yesterday I played with the 130 spear spbt...Never used them on deer but may try them this year.
They were very accurate at 200 yds.
Used 44.5 grs of I 4064 and 130 spear in win case with cci 200 pri.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
I'm shooting factory loaded 140 grain Accubonds in mine. Handled a 300+ lb Nebraska whitetail no problem, was dead running on his feet basically as I slid it behind the shoulder for a lung shot at 50 yards. He went maybe 70 and after the first 5 yards I had a good blood trail, was laid out mid-stride on the trail. Shoulder shot would have anchored him but I wasn't taking any chances on him. Also did a number on my 190 lb Missouri buck last year. 5 yard shot followed immediately by a 20 yard shot as I didn't want him making it to the big ditches he wasn't far from. So they do their job up close and personal as I've found out and are accurate out of my Tikka at 200 yards as well. Haven't shot it past that.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
In my experience the 150 gr Combined Technologies Ballistic Silvertip is the way to go. Most accurate bullet I’ve shot through 5 different rifles and you can’t beat the results on deer IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
I hand load the interlock 139
Shoots A-frames good
Fusion shoots good too.

I’m sure that helped.[emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mbh78

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Hard to beat a good old fashioned 139gr Hornady btsp. It ain’t fancy and flashy, but it’s proven. I had a few good kills with the Nosler 120gr Ballistic tip years ago, followed by a couple of bad experiences on deer and won’t ever go back.