Woman shoots, kills herself at Kannapolis restaurant

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Gun was in her pocketbook, have no idea if it was loose, in a holster etc... however the gun discharged and went into her chest

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
For example, my wife's pocketbook is a mess, stuff thrown in there everywhere... we were talking about this story last night. I unloaded my edc, stuck an ink pen in the trigger guard (simulating stuff just in a pocketbook) then with my other hand I grabbed the ink pen, with very little force, the pen fired the gun. I could see how this could easily happen if you just have your gun thrown in your pocketbook.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
. any object coming in contact with the trigger will do

not with my 1911s,,,,,,,

but yeah,,,in theory it could happen,,,but I would expect that 99.9% of "accidents" had a human finger on the ol' trigger,,,takes an awful lot of coincidence for "something" to randomly pull back in a typical handgun trigger to make it go off

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
There is nothing accidental about it. It is negligent. If you want to carry in a messy purse without a holster you buy a gun that has an internal handle and a heavy trigger pull.

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
In 2013, a woman legally concealing in a Staples store in Wake Forest had a negligent discharge, striking her hand. The anti-gun crowd then staged a protest, asking Staples to ban guns nationwide. I know that there are guns in every store you visit every day, and millions of people carrying uneventfully and safely every day, but when you have a story like this, it just gives the anti's the ammo they need.

https://www.wral.com/no-charges-against-woman-after-shooting-self-in-wake-forest-store/12808147/
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/p...mns-blogs/under-the-dome/article10295321.html

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Permitting is the least of her worries right now. I’m all for CCWs but we have a lot of folks carrying who don’t train. The class is not a doctoral degree in firearms. They will spend 2 hours per day on Facebook but no time weapon familiarization.

I would argue the concealed carry requirements in any state don't amount to anything but a participation award. Sadly, most concealed carriers are incompetent with their guns, but that shortcoming is mitigated by the fact that most criminals are even worse.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I was wondering about that law last week.... Last week we were eating at another restaurant in the same shopping center as this incident. An older man sitting at the table next to us was OCing, drinking a beer. I was wondering if that applied to OC as well as CC, or if it is unregulated.

Last edited:

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I have been told if OC it is like driving.
Leo said they can not charge if not drunk.
I think the law is completely silent on OC and drinking, unless you start waving it around and firing into the air like El Guapo from City Slickers. I'm not suggesting you try it. I went to college with a guy who shot himself in the leg and nearly bled out by handling an unholstered .45 while drunk.

Last edited:

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor
If you google the term "North Carolina Firearms Laws" you'll find a link to the 2018 edition of the North Carolina Sherriff's Association pamphlet on NC firearms laws and permits.

From page 18:
However, anybody who is carrying a concealed handgun while consuming alcohol, or has
alcohol or controlled substances remaining in his/her system is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

From page 21 :
It is unlawful for the permittee to carry a concealed handgun while consuming alcohol, or at any
time while the permittee has remaining in his/her body any alcohol or controlled substance
previously consumed. However, a permittee does not violate this law if a controlled substance in
his/her blood was lawfully obtained and taken in therapeutically appropriate amounts. N.C. Gen.
Stat. § 14-415.11(c).

Lance