Red woof attack

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I'm no lawyer but I think the family has enough evidence for a civil case.

Based on what little I've seen, I'm inclined to agree. The standard of proof in a civil claim is the preponderance of evidence .... or simply "more probable than not".

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Let's think of it like this....if this was a murder trial
And the dogs were on trial, with the evidence presented would they be guilty or not guilty....BASED SOLELY ON EVIDENCE, NOT FEELINGS

And I "inherited" a female blue pit from a friend about a year ago. He moved and couldn't take dog per HOA. I love that dog, but will NOT let her any where close to my grandson or any other small child. The only people allowed around her are me, my son and my friend who owned her previously.

Sunny

Button Buck
I'm sorry, but why were the dogs "let out"?
That's a very unusual thing to do with or without screams.
I've never opened a door and turned a dog loose. In my county in NC that would be a misdemeanor and direct violation of the leash law.
Seems like whoever opened the door and turned dogs "loose" has liability.
Especially with victims blood in their mouths?
We have great animal control in my county, however, owners who turn their dogs loose are the reason why I don't walk in my neighborhood anymore.
If a woman is heard screaming , I want to get to the victim before my dog does.
I can't outrun my dog. A dog on the scene before me will not be any help to a victim. A dog adds another element to deal with.
Turning the dogs loose is counter productive and would be illegal in this county - Rowan, NC

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
A lot of areas don't have leash laws. I live in one of those areas. Probably close to a third of the houses here have a dog that's not in a fence or on a leash.

The dog I have now is the first one I've kept inside or in a fence when I'm not with her.

Sunny

Button Buck
A lot of areas don't have leash laws. I live in one of those areas. Probably close to a third of the houses here have a dog that's not in a fence or on a leash.

The dog I have now is the first one I've kept inside or in a fence when I'm not with her.

I see. I guess I'm having a hard time understanding the hand that turns the door knob and releases dogs, I guess more than one, after a woman is heard screaming.
That's a point of contact in the scenario someone had control over.
I don't have control over a wild animal. I don't know what's out there, I hear a woman sreaming, possibly on my property?
My first thought is flip all outside lights on, grab protection, my phone, possibly car keys and head down the driveway to investigate and call authorities as I'm heading out the door.
The dog stays home.
I'm the smarter of myself and the dog at assessing the scenario and the screaming. I'll decide what emergency action needs to happen when I assess the scene. Maybe when I identify what's happening I stay on phone with 911 and I can't help but I document with the video/audio on the phone. Maybe others are there before me on scene.
I just don't see how a dog loose is any benefit in this situation that is already out of control by virtue of the woman screaming.
If there's no leash law in the county this happened it might be good to put one in place? I don't know, that's up to you guys up there.
There's a balance somewhere between freedom to have dogs roaming free and walkers.
I couldn't find it myself. I gave up walking outside altogether. I dont walk my own dog outside of my own yard because our safety comes first.
I do miss walking though. Even with leash laws it takes many conversations with dog owners to obey the law. The conclusion was some are just not going to do it.
The person with the hand on the knob probably regrets opening that door that morning, especially with all the unknowns and this poor woman loosing her life. It seems like its not clear if the dogs helped or contributed and its possible i'm not understanding how and when the dogs came into the scenario, so my apologies if I'm mistaken on the events. Was the woman found down on the dog owners property?
This poor woman seems like she was just out for her morning routine probably for her health and probably to enjoy the town she probably loved.
I just think that at the end of this, it sounds like there may have been a point that there's a slim possibility this may have been prevented? Just very sad. Again, my apologies on judgement if I have the facts wrong.

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
Even in the really rural places around me in central NC, leash laws range from, must be kept up or on a leash to can roam free if you have “x” acres and the dog doesn’t leave your property. Your dog in the neighbor’s yard on in the road is a violation. But to ride through the country, it would appear that there is no leash law since most dogs hang close to the houses. But let’s not speculate. Pungo May have a more strict ordinance, but, this makes it look like it’s ok to run free during the day if a female is not in heat.

Beaufort Co
Owner Responsibility

67-2. Permitting bitch at large.

If any person owning or having any bitch shall knowingly permit her to run at large during the erotic stage of copulation he shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and fined not exceeding fifty dollars ($50.00) or imprisoned not exceeding 30 days.

67-12. Permitting dogs to run at large at night; penalty; liability for damage.

No person shall allow his dog over six months old to run at large in the nighttime unaccompanied by the owner or by some member of the owner's family, or some other person by the owner's permission. Any person intentionally, knowingly, and willfully violation this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and upon conviction shall be fined not exceeding fifty dollars ($50.00) or imprisoned not exceed 30 days, and shall also be liable in damages to any person injured or suffering loss to his property or chattels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
We know what it was, we just won't admit it. :LOL:

https://www.bfro.net/GDB/state_listing.asp?state=nc

Dear Hamilton Family,
I’m sorry for your loss. I’m also sorry that people post insensitive things with “lol” in a at times, run away and seemingly disregarding conversation that revolves around your tragic, unexpected, and horrific loss of a mom, daughter, grandmother, aunt, wife, friend, teacher, and loved community member.
From myself and the vast majority of the NCHF members, our condolences, thoughts and prayers are with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
I see. I guess I'm having a hard time understanding the hand that turns the door knob and releases dogs, I guess more than one, after a woman is heard screaming.
A poster on here made the claim that the woman turned loose her dogs when she heard the victim screaming and that the dogs broke it up.

The Sheriff's Dept statement says the dog owner was awakened by the sounds of her dogs barking in the vicinity of the victim.

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Commissioner Waters is wrong, again. The USFWS provided both DNA panels to the WCU lab for comparison. Besides, having a red wolf panel IS having the hybrid panel. Having another DNA analysis is not going to find anything that "the water washed away". These guys are looking for a scapegoat everywhere but in their yard.

Last edited:
Reactions: RJ1

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
Pitbulls have a history of turning on someone they have lived with. No reason to believe she didn't walk up on these two with their nutria kill and they jumped on her. The DNA evidence supports that conclusion no matter how well they behaved in quarantine.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Pitbulls have a history of turning on someone they have lived with. No reason to believe she didn't walk up on these two with their nutria kill and they jumped on her. The DNA evidence supports that conclusion no matter how well they behaved in quarantine.

That has been exactly what makes this case interesting. I assume these investigators to be competent people. What evidence led them to believe the pits DIDN’T do it?

So far, they have released nothing.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
That has been exactly what makes this case interesting. I assume these investigators to be competent people. What evidence led them to believe the pits DIDN’T do it?

So far, they have released nothing.
They were friendly while they were being quarantined.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I read that too. But that doesn't mean much to me. Especially when you are dealing with pitts. Story after story of "never harmed a flea" until today type tragedies.
Yeap - Just about every dog attack I have read about was they were the nicest dogs ever.

I had a small little dog that was the sweetest dog but if she was eating or chewing on once specific toy she would bite the crap out of anyone including me. Thankfully she died before we had kids.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
an ex-coworker had/has a pit that she had to lock up and medicate when a thunderstorm was brewing because the thunder would drive her crazy. that's just asking for trouble if you ask me.

DC-DXT

Twelve Pointer
Yeap - Just about every dog attack I have read about was they were the nicest dogs ever.

I had a small little dog that was the sweetest dog but if she was eating or chewing on once specific toy she would bite the crap out of anyone including me. Thankfully she died before we had kids.

We have a jack russell/beagle mix with a natural bobtail. Very friendly, little shy at first to strangers, but if you try to touch or grab his bobtail he will eat you up.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
That's a point of contact in the scenario someone had control over.
I don't have control over a wild animal. I don't know what's out there, I hear a woman sreaming, possibly on my property?
My first thought is flip all outside lights on, grab protection, my phone, possibly car keys and head down the driveway to investigate and call authorities as I'm heading out the door.
The dog stays home.

YEP!
Cuz if she has stepped on a snake that then bit her, she COULD be screaming.........until the attack dogs arrived.

Sunny

Button Buck
I actually got on this website because I've had my hunting licence for years and this blog came up in my Google search for a nuisance coyote issue.
I've learned allot from this blog.
We had a coyote issue at work in which every evening for months in 2018 in the Lincoln Harris Business Park in South Charlotte the coyotes were running across the parking lot nightly as we headed for our vehicles. We were told management wasn't going to do anything about the coyotes/our safety. A few of us were looking for information/solutions on how to deal with that situation.
Around that same time, at the house, we were dealing with neighbors who thought it was ok to let their pits off leash onto ours and others property at will. This situation is better today than it was.
The coyote situation resolved itself. I changed jobs, no more coyotes in the parking lot.
The neighborhood pit situation is under control by Rowan County Animal Control.
As part of a first responder family, preventing an accident is easier than dealing with a traumatic event.
Seems like they are going to proceed with determination so this woman's family can have closure and hopefully prevent this from happening again.
Never thought the coyote /wild animal question I had originally would ever have ntersected with my neighborhood pit issue.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

Yep. We had a beagle that was like that with food. She bit the mother in law once. Dog was dead before the sun went down.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Field Supervisor Pete Benjamin said there hasn't been a wolf attack on a human in the 48 states in the last 100 years.

Guess Minnesota is not part of the 48 States...