2019 Severe weather thread

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
I'm curious,

How round trips down, then up, does it take to form a hail stone of softball size? A couple? A few, or multiple? How strong does the storm (updrafts) have to be to push ice the size of a golf ball UP so that it can grow larger and drop again?!?!?!?

This is a general conversion for hail size and updraft speeds.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190521-183941_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20190521-183941_Samsung Internet.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 57

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Grapefruit is Smaller than a softball?!?!? Where are they shopping?!?!?

LOL.

Thank you for providing almost exactly what I asked for.

Still curious if a hail starts as a bb and gets round tripped into the next stage, or if it happens all in 1 or 2 trips. 104 mph doesn't seem like a lot when you see what's going on in the central states today/tonight.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Can't say as I've ever seen hail grapefruit or bigger but I sure wouldn't want get hit in head with it we don't get much hail around where I live for whatever reason

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Grapefruit is Smaller than a softball?!?!? Where are they shopping?!?!?

LOL.

Thank you for providing almost exactly what I asked for.

Still curious if a hail starts as a bb and gets round tripped into the next stage, or if it happens all in 1 or 2 trips. 104 mph doesn't seem like a lot when you see what's going on in the central states today/tonight.

I think the grapefruit and soft ball are reversed on that chart. Softballmis 4 inch grapefruit is 4.5.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I think the grapefruit and soft ball are reversed on that chart. Softballmis 4 inch grapefruit is 4.5.

One I was talking abou was closer to grapefruit then I was guessing it to be about 5 inches, which to me is a cantaloupe sized chunk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
One I was talking abou was closer to grapefruit then I was guessing it to be about 5 inches, which to me is a cantaloupe sized chunk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

June 5th 1993 we had a storm in greenville. Most were tennis ball sized but we did have some random larger stones up to probably softball sized but they were very random and few and far between.

I fully believe the same could have played out with your experience. A cantaloupe description of a hail stone is like saying you saw a unicorn tonus weather nerds. A softball sized hailstone falling a few feet from you would certainly seem larger and scarier

moonlight

Four Pointer
I remember the June 1993 storm, thought it was June 3rd, but that’s not important. I was mowing grass at lake Gaston when it came thru. A 2.5” piece of hail hit me squarely on the head as I was running for the truck. Worst storm I’ve ever experienced in 49 years, thunderstorm wise.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
8 years to the day of the Joplin EF 5 they got missed by 5 miles by another monster badass wedge tornado. They flat out got lucky tonight.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190522-212244_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20190522-212244_Samsung Internet.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Well no severe storms here but this heat wave is a bit ridiculous, most places in NC will hit 100 or better my mid week.....its still May, temps are 10-15 degrees above normal and that look to continue for the next 7-10 days.....very little rain for any of us the next 7 days as it stands now......my yard is looking rough and the smaller trees are dropping their leaves....

302cj

Old Mossy Horns
Well no severe storms here but this heat wave is a bit ridiculous, most places in NC will hit 100 or better my mid week.....its still May, temps are 10-15 degrees above normal and that look to continue for the next 7-10 days.....very little rain for any of us the next 7 days as it stands now......my yard is looking rough and the smaller trees are dropping their leaves....
Add 10-15* to the highs for work. It's ridiculous. I mowed grass this morning and like you said lot of leaves on ground and we haven't had any storms.

Redneck Rocker Dude

Old Mossy Horns
One thing that doesn't get mentioned enough in NC is fire danger.

The coast is approaching all time record indices for fire danger. Record setting ERC and the 100hr fuel moistures are approaching and will likely be at an all time low by Thursday or Friday.

The sandhill region isnt much better either.

Be extremely careful with your camp fires, burn piles, whatever it may be until we get some rain. Our traditional mid Feb-green up fire season was very slow. Weve had to plow more fires in the last week than we have all year.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Add 10-15* to the highs for work. It's ridiculous. I mowed grass this morning and like you said lot of leaves on ground and we haven't had any storms.

My neighbors have a river birch and its dropping leaves like crazy.....was at Lowes and there are a bunch of small trees in the parking lot and I am not sure exactly what they are maybe some kind of maple but they are all browning and dropping their leaves as well. Need rain and its gonna be at least 5-7 days before this SER moves off and gives us flow that will bring storms.....

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I think we're about to get rain!!!! I think it's been 15 days since? More thunder than I've heard all year so far ahead of it! Yay!!!

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
So it went from nothing, to a torrential downpour in about 6 seconds. 11 minutes of it. And I received 7/8ths an inch. Then it almost completely shut off. I saw a couple of pea sized hails, but otherwise just a few green leaves left branches. I'd estimate the wind gusts during those 11 minutes as 15-20 max.

Kind of what we needed, unless a nice slow soothing rain is in the forecast?

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
1.25 inches in less than 30 minutes then just scattered clouds. I'll take it.
Nearby counties had high winds, lightening and golf ball sized hail.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah I kind of wanted to call BS on them because of the shape

Nope. While hers were crazy looking the ones here also had that spiky look. The pic I got was several minutes after it fell and the little spikes were actually bigger.

I got one small dent in the hood of my new truck. Just glad it wasnt worse.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Damn that stinks. While I love weather and stuff I hate seeing damage to property.

If you think that stinks, ask Hendrick Toyota of Apex. Her car was sitting in their lot waiting for service the next day. They had a lot of cars damaged. Maybe they'll have a Hail Sale.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
If you think that stinks, ask Hendrick Toyota of Apex. Her car was sitting in their lot waiting for service the next day. They had a lot of cars damaged. Maybe they'll have a Hail Sale.

One of the world richest men (Warren Buffet) LOVES to buy hail damaged cars as his personal ride because of the low low cost.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Gonna be some severe weather across the state with the better chances western areas. Keep your eyes on the weather as usual.