"Red Wolf" restoration scandal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
you all may have missed this new science paper that looked at deer harvest trends and coyote colonization times across 6 Eastern states (including NC), and found no evidence that coyotes were controlling deer populations:

ABSTRACT The expansion or recovery of predators can affect local prey populations. Since the 1940s,
coyotes (Canis latrans) have expanded into eastern North America where they are now the largest predator
and prey on white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus). However, their effect on deer populations remains
controversial. We tested the hypothesis that coyotes, as a novel predator, would affect deer population
dynamics across large spatial scales, and the strongest effects would occur after a time lag following initial
coyote colonization that allows for the predator populations to grow. We evaluated deer population trends
from 1981 to 2014 in 384 counties of 6 eastern states in the United States with linear mixed models. We
included deer harvest data as a proxy for deer relative abundance, years since coyote arrival in a county as a
proxy of coyote abundance, and landscape and climate covariates to account for environmental effects.
Overall, deer populations in all states experienced positive population growth following coyote arrival. Time
since coyote arrival was not a signi®cant predictor in any deer population models and our results indicate that
coyotes are not controlling deer populations at a large spatial scale in eastern North America. Ó 2019 The
Wildlife Society.

From the discussion:

We did not detect any negative association between
colonizing eastern coyotes and white-tailed deer population
growth rate across 6 eastern states over nearly a century.
Instead, we documented a consistent rise in deer abundance
simultaneous to coyote colonization across the region.
Despite the relatively small-scale declines in some local
deer populations attributed to coyote predation (Howze et al.
2009, VanGilder et al. 2009, Kilgo et al. 2014, Chitwood
et al. 2015a, b), our study did not detect this relationship at a
larger spatial and temporal scale.

PDF attached

Again, come on, Ron. Can't you do better than a 5 year old study? Any idea as to how many coyotes are born/year vs deer/year? What about survival rates for each of those species in the "study areas"? FWIW, the coyote is most definitely not a novel predator. This info is kinda like the latest papers on the "contemporary" animal that y'all like to call a wolf. Just choose a number. If it works to keep the money coming in, print it.

Jett

Ten Pointer
Yep. If this is the one you are talking about in Currituck.

All the millions they have raised off that fake wolf, it is the least they could do...
I have a great response billboard I am thinking about if I can get a nearby location.

Last edited:

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Status quo. Let's just dumb down the public, while sharing total lies, and they will accept it as truth... I just can't come up with a response to that at the moment...

Jett

Ten Pointer
And here go the "conservationists" (non profit lawyers) pimping their home made fake red wolf to line their own pockets in the same old sue and settle program that they have so successfully repeatedly orchestrated with their lying USFWS cohorts.

For Immediate Release, June 19, 2019
Contact:Collette Adkins, Center for Biological Diversity, (651) 955-3821, cadkins@biologicaldiversity.org
Jake Bleich, Defenders of Wildlife, (202) 772-3208, jbleich@defenders.org

Lawsuit Launched Over Trump Administration Failure to Update Outdated Red Wolf Recovery Plan

WASHINGTON— The Center for Biological Diversity and Defenders of Wildlife today filed a formal notice of intent to sue the Trump administration for failing to prepare an updated recovery plan for the United States’ rapidly dwindling population of endangered red wolves.
In response to a 2016 petition for a revised recovery plan filed by animal protection and conservation organizations, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service pledged to update the wolf’s decades-old recovery plan by the end of last year. It has not done so.
“The red wolf can be saved, but if the Trump administration won’t update its severely outdated recovery plan, this animal could be lost forever,” said Collette Adkins, the Center’s carnivore conservation director. “I'm hopeful this lawsuit will spur a new plan where science, not politics, drives management of the world’s most endangered wolf.”
The Endangered Species Act requires that the Fish and Wildlife Service prepare plans that serve as roadmaps to species recovery, identifying measures needed to ensure conservation and survival.
The Service last updated the red wolf’s recovery plan in 1990. Since then red wolves have faced changes in their management and additional threats from increased poaching and hybridization with coyotes.
“We are asking the Trump administration to move red wolf conservation forward and end this unnecessary and dangerous delay,” said Jason Rylander, senior endangered species counsel at Defenders of Wildlife. “Without meaningful action this iconic species could go extinct in the wild. That would be a huge loss.”
The red wolf has been reduced to a single population in eastern North Carolina with as few as 18 known individuals left. Last year the Fish and Wildlife Service proposed to eliminate at least half of the wild population and reduce by more than 90 percent the recovery area where the wolves can safely roam. The agency has stopped taking actions necessary for red wolf recovery, such as its coyote-sterilization program to prevent hybrid animals from harming the gene pool.
Today’s notice letter starts a 60-day clock after which the conservation groups can file their lawsuit to compel the Fish and Wildlife Service to comply with the Endangered Species Act.​
The Center for Biological Diversity is a national, nonprofit conservation organization with more than 1.4 million members and online activists dedicated to the protection of endangered species and wild places.
Defenders of Wildlife is dedicated to the protection of all native animals and plants in their natural communities. With over 1.8 million members and activists, Defenders of Wildlife is a leading advocate for innovative solutions to safeguard our wildlife heritage for generations to come. For more information, visit 
Newsroom.Defenders.org and follow us on Twitter @DefendersNews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
I see they are back doing the captive "Red Wolf" howlings. Yesterday they had three USFWS trucks, about 5 USFWS employees and maybe 15 people, including kids in the group. At $10 per adult, how much is this non-sense costing tax payers?

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
So
I see they are back doing the captive "Red Wolf" howlings. Yesterday they had three USFWS trucks, about 5 USFWS employees and maybe 15 people, including kids in the group. At $10 per adult, how much is this non-sense costing tax payers?
So for 15 participants at $10 each this raised a whopping $150 ? I am sure this goes a long way toward offsetting the millions of taxpayer dollars spent on this boondoggle doomed project.

Panthera

Eight Pointer
My Great Grandfather told my Grandfather of a flock that passed over for two hours when he was ten in 1878. This was in Ararat, NC.
Grandpa said his Dad said the chickens went to roost in the middle of the day because the flock blocked out the sun. Big flocks took days to pass over.
Click to play video..below.

Last edited:

Take 'em

Six Pointer
Sounds about like what I would expect from the NGO's looking for another cash "cow" well maybe a cash pigeon. There was still millions of the pigeons when market gunning was outlawed and yet they couldn't survive. Maybe there will be room for them at Point Defiance Zoo.

Panthera

Eight Pointer
Sounds about like what I would expect from the NGO's looking for another cash "cow" well maybe a cash pigeon. There was still millions of the pigeons when market gunning was outlawed and yet they couldn't survive. Maybe there will be room for them at Point Defiance Zoo.
The birds were persecuted until their numbers were so low it was not profitable to hunt them anymore. Laws to protect them were indeed placed on the books, but there was very little enforcement.
As for trying to bring them back, it cannot work because the world has changed, and the landscape, even if they could we'd never see those numbers. See Greenberg's A Feathered River Across The Sky.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The birds were persecuted until their numbers were so low...
One reason they were "persecuted" (to use your words) is the tremendous damage they did to agriculture in the 19th century. They are documented to have completely destroyed huge grain fields in a single day. They must of been one of the dumbest animals God ever created, because farmers could stand under trees with long poles and knock them to the ground, where they were plowed under for fertilizer. There is a famous lithograph of mid-western farmers doing just that. It is popular (and easy) to blame everything on hunters, but that is not how they all died.

Status
Not open for further replies.