Bass getting big on stocked trout???

smith-n-stokes

Old Mossy Horns
I saw these pics on a Stokes County Instagram page. Do y’all think these bass have been eating some of the trout they have been stocking in the lake the past few years?

I’ve seen lots of smaller bass in that lake but none near the size of the two...
714d572218ef48773812f3b313a3d797.jpg
b1a90477000324e0cb022e04105bf9f0.jpg
a408aeba0e0c0d60b1c6128f944d8252.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HarryNC

Eight Pointer
I'll bet they have. Trout are a high-protein, high-fat food source, and those stockers may not be real smart about avoiding predators. Reservoirs in Southern California that are stocked with trout have produced a number of largemouths over 20 lbs.

smith-n-stokes

Old Mossy Horns
I'll bet they have. Trout are a high-protein, high-fat food source, and those stockers may not be real smart about avoiding predators. Reservoirs in Southern California that are stocked with trout have produced a number of largemouths over 20 lbs.

That’s what I was thinking...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No doubt about it. If you stock hatchery fish from 2-10" where there are adult bass, they will hammer them.

I was bass fishing a pond this spring that had recently had 100 4-6" catfish stocked. I caught two with catfish tails sticking out of their gullet. It's an ambush predator's dream.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Trout are pretty much “high class shad” in regards to pretty much any fish that eats other fish. A 10” rainbow ain’t called “striper candy” for nothing...............

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Maybe.

In some small NC impoundments, despite being stocked with trout. no double digit bass.

Others produce big bass.