Got a Randall!!

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve wanted one for years and never dropped the cash thanks to the insane 2.5-5 year waitlist. Finally had one fall into my lap and I couldn’t say test quick enough. Blooded and carried in Iraq and Afghan by a 7th group SSG, Randal model 1 all purpose fighting knife.
29261f9bf6795ac7766b51ed39d8b0d3.jpg
65b712f6814aaf296ab544d87dad34fa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Coach

Four Pointer
I’ve wanted one for years and never dropped the cash thanks to the insane 2.5-5 year waitlist. Finally had one fall into my lap and I couldn’t say test quick enough. Blooded and carried in Iraq and Afghan by a 7th group SSG, Randal model 1 all purpose fighting knife.

Good find on a great knife.
I bought my first Randall at his shop in the early 70s
#5 camp and trail for $165
I still have that knife.
I use an Alaskan skinner to skin deer and other critters.
Coach

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

In my old trade, the running joke/stereotype was you had to have a randall knife, star sapphire ring, and a baht chain (the bigger the better),,,,,, the reasons why for each of the three are for a discussion over a fire,,,

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
In my old trade, the running joke/stereotype was you had to have a randall knife, star sapphire ring, and a baht chain (the bigger the better),,,,,, the reasons why for each of the three are for a discussion over a fire,,,

Ima have to hear that one

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
That is a good looking knife!

It is to knives what Carrol Shelly, and John DeLorean are to muscle cars. I’ve owned a few high end knives and to put mildly there is a reason the wait list is 2-5 years on avg. and a battlefield blooded Randall with provenance gets wrapped up in retard wrap for the price asked

I’ve got a hand made short Bowies that will clean roughly 5 deer minimum per year and usually needs one Strop to hone every other year. That will barely tickle a RANDALL, and in the off chance you foul the blade they will repolish and hone the blade. A Randall will do anything another quality custom knife will do, just far longer with better results and at 10x the abuse.
There is a reason it’s the preferred blade smith of our special Forces and the standard to which all others are measured.

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Understand the confusion but as a hard core diehard Colt guy a Rand while nice would be just one of many colt copies

Yep but I still own a Remington Rand.

First I have been told a RR was a Randall...

Never knew that.

Then again, never did care for the SS Randall. ..

LawDog

Ten Pointer
Nice knife. I purchased one a few years ago and it just sat in the safe. It was so nice I couldn't justify using it, so I sold it. They are top of the line blades.

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
It is to knives what Carrol Shelly, and John DeLorean are to muscle cars. I’ve owned a few high end knives and to put mildly there is a reason the wait list is 2-5 years on avg. and a battlefield blooded Randall with provenance gets wrapped up in retard wrap for the price asked

I’ve got a hand made short Bowies that will clean roughly 5 deer minimum per year and usually needs one Strop to hone every other year. That will barely tickle a RANDALL, and in the off chance you foul the blade they will repolish and hone the blade. A Randall will do anything another quality custom knife will do, just far longer with better results and at 10x the abuse.
There is a reason it’s the preferred blade smith of our special Forces and the standard to which all others are measured.

A friend's father (VN SF) has quite a collection. If I recall the story correctly he was about to ship out to VN as a newly minted LT and wanted a knife. He stopped by and spoke to Randall, who gave him one to carry while deployed. I don't recall how many he ended up with at the time of his passing, but I know of at least a dozen on the wall of his house last time I visited.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns

What's the above statement based on, legend?

Randalls are great knives steeped in legend but there are blade steels used today by custom and factory made knives that are tougher and will hold and edge much longer than the 440B steel used by Randall. I'm assuming that Randall is still using 440B for the Model 1. Part of their allure is legend and scarcity. As far as pure function there are better, cheaper and easier to obtain knives available today.

<>< Fish

Southern

Ten Pointer
They have a cool history but I have many knives in my collection that have better steel, better fit and finish no oversized choil and cost half as much. Made by custom knifemakers who actually build the knife they put their names on. I just dont like that choil they use but they do have some knives with geometry I like

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
What's the above statement based on, legend?

Randalls are great knives steeped in legend but there are blade steels used today by custom and factory made knives that are tougher and will hold and edge much longer than the 440B steel used by Randall. I'm assuming that Randall is still using 440B for the Model 1. Part of their allure is legend and scarcity. As far as pure function there are better, cheaper and easier to obtain knives available today.

<>< Fish

Being that I’ve never owned one until it’s word of mouth. Been around several through my time in service, and while I’m sure your right that their scarcity has some to do with it, they where the most desired knife I was around. Seen a few used and abused through heavy use and that was enough to make me want one.