Snake ID

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Was this a water moccasin? Seen today while walking around the reservoir.

Attachments

• IMG_20190512_184549800.jpg
    IMG_20190512_184549800.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_20190512_184553378.jpg
    IMG_20190512_184553378.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_20190512_184601272.jpg
    IMG_20190512_184601272.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 295

TheCloudX

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Def. not a snake expert as I think everything is a cottonmouth, but the head seems off to be. I was thinking either a black rat snake or diamonback water snake.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Need to get closer to the head for a positive ID. Round pupils = non-venomous. At least around here. Or you can turn him over and check for a double row of scales from the vent to the end of the tail. Also a positive ID for non. Let me know when you get the pics.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Need to get closer to the head for a positive ID. Round pupils = non-venomous. At least around here. Or you can turn him over and check for a double row of scales from the vent to the end of the tail. Also a positive ID for non. Let me know when you get the pics.

Definitely has diamonds that were black and brown and a faint yellow. Also faint yellow stomach. Will see if I can find any similar pics online and let y'all know.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Definitely has diamonds that were black and brown and a faint yellow. Also faint yellow stomach. Will see if I can find any similar pics online and let y'all know.

Got a better view on zoom in. Looks like its skin is brown with black blotches and some faint yellow. Closest thing I can find is a subadult rat snake. Maybe HotSoup is right! http://herpsofnc.org/rat-snake/

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Rat snake. Remember that there are only 3 venomous snakes. Copperheads, cottonmouths, and the rattlers (I tend to lump them together since they all have a great ID tag on their tail). Forget the Coral snake. It's so rare that if you happen to find one the best thing to do is run to the local convenience store and buy a lottery ticket.

DC-DXT

Twelve Pointer
Next time, get close enough to piss him off & he'll open his mouth for you. Then zoom in and get a pic of the inside of his mouth.

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
KrisB, while we're on snake ID, hope you don't mind if I ask the forum members a question.
I found a small black snake with a yellow/ orange belly and a yellow band on it's head right behind the eyes.
Anyone know what kind of snake that is?

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
KrisB, while we're on snake ID, hope you don't mind if I ask the forum members a question.
I found a small black snake with a yellow/ orange belly and a yellow band on it's head right behind the eyes.
Anyone know what kind of snake that is?
Ringneck snake

Thomas270

Ten Pointer
While we are talking about snakes, what is this one?

Attachments

• 727C634E-E196-44C9-83C4-D28B2C533491.jpeg
    727C634E-E196-44C9-83C4-D28B2C533491.jpeg
    358.2 KB · Views: 144

Thomas270

Ten Pointer
I was thinking a moccasin too.......... but then, I've never seen one. A closer picture would be nice.

That was close enough! I was in a boat reaching for that decoy when it clicked what I was looking at. We came up from the side and the snake was blocked by the logjam until I was all in his koolaid.

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’ve heard “moccasin” applied to shoes, water-snakes, and cottonmouths!!

When you say moccasin are you talking about a cottonmouth?

Last edited: