Its a wonder more people are not killed at the lakes.......

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
So I was reading about 2 that die last weekend in a boat crash.....
Was at the lake this weekend and the stupidity is just beyond belief.
Why people pick the smallest and tightest areas to ski and wake board is just crazy. Had a guy swing out in a tight channel and ended up infront of me. He went down then I dont see him. The boat was slow to turn and get close by him. Get up next to him and see why. Som kid on a black wave board with no jacket. All I see is the board and top of his head. All this in one of the tightest areas of the lake with a sharp turn in the channel. .. it was maybe a 17 to 18' run a bout with 3 up front 3 in the back and one in the water. Bet WRC would have gave them a hard time.

Other thing is around the dock. When you need to load your boat with more ice and beer than gas you know you may have a troubled day....

As we got to the dock there was a guy that thought he owned the dock. Said you are not going to tie there are you? Said yep so the wife could get out. Ramp has the Handicap hand rail.. He come back saying to go park over there...Lady in another boat offered to drive his boat if he could not... The look on his face...
Then the rest of his crowd showed up, some in a mini van off loading parked on the turning section of the ramp..
Funny he wanted to tell others what to do yet had his SUV and trailer, friends Van and other crap stacked in the way blocking use of the ramp and making it harder for others....

Sometimes you just need to film this stuff guess.

Wife said now I know why you dont like being here on a weekend.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Primary reason I use a private ramp on the big lakes and minimize time spent on the public ramps. I'm not above cutting around you if you're blocking a ramp with your stupidity. And don't get me started on the people with helpless passengers that can't do anything to help....

302cj

Old Mossy Horns
Primary reason I use a private ramp on the big lakes and minimize time spent on the public ramps. I'm not above cutting around you if you're blocking a ramp with your stupidity. And don't get me started on the people with helpless passengers that can't do anything to help....
You talking about passengers that can't back a trailer in or drive boat on trailer or help unload everything or help strap down the boat!! They just grab their towel and walk to the car.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
The ramps and on the water can get crazy for sure. I think most of us have forgot and done something stupid at a ramp. However, it is easy to be courteous and use a little common sense. On the other hand all that you need to do to realize this is lacking in some people, is a visit to the boat ramp.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
You talking about passengers that can't back a trailer in or drive boat on trailer or help unload everything or help strap down the boat!! They just grab their towel and walk to the car.
Those are the type that I dont bring......

Yep this guy had several and everyone moved at the speed of a turtle. ....
He had to dock and load everyones crap then went to move the SUV....

Wife said I pity the first to dump a beer on his boat.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I love public boat ramps! It's like Big Bang meets Seinfeld. No place beats a public boat ramp on a Saturday, or even better, a Holiday, for cheap entertainment. If you are lucky enough you can be there when some nitwit shows up with his boat that after he backs it into the water and ties off, effectively blocking the ramp, it won't start. When he removes the engine cowling be ready because things are going to get really good. :ROFLMAO:

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Had to go for a swim at Emerald Isle a few years ago. Guy come past us in a side channel made a sharp turn and left his two tubers in a downed tree. Was a first responder for years but that was a bone cruncher. Got there and kept them above water so not to drown. He come back and pulled both of the away from me. Had to get them in his boat right away. He took them across the ICW to an ambulance. Come to find out later he was in a hurry because he was drinking. I could have kicked his ass. I have seen so much stupid stuff on the water its amazing people dont die every day. I just went through the second happiest day of my life and dont regret it.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
You folks have lived some sheltered/anxious lives if you are surprised and get annoyed by activities at a public boat ramp.:D
I enjoy those "cabin cruiser" craft launches. Pontoons a close second. they are particularly entertaining .

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
We had a guy come and launch his boat to test drive. Left his truck and trailer on the ramp while he gave her a spin. Some people are just extremely dumb, or just don't care about others. The ramp is private, but they do allow the general public to pay to launch. The boat ramp parking lot got very crowded while he was on his 15 min joy ride. :mad:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
We had a guy come and launch his boat to test drive. Left his truck and trailer on the ramp while he gave her a spin.

I have done that before...... But I had a guy there at the truck to move if anyone needed the ramp. It was also winter,.4 ramps at location and maybe 4 trucks in the lot so no traffic. But he was there to move it.

Was doing prop testing and ran 3 props. Just to note rpm, speed and time of hole shot.
Did not want to keep backing in and out if not needed.

Cam

Four Pointer
Saw a man back a new chevy 2500 crew cab diesel down the ramp to load his boat got out with truck still in reverse. Trailer truck and all went down ramp. Trailer was floating and truck was completly submerged. All he could say was i know i put it in park. His wife was giving him he##. As if the problem wasnt big enough.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Too much pressure to 'perform" at these ramps get folks excited and causes these issues for the poor folks trying to launch or load.
I backed a morehead scholar in one day and he had left the plug out of his rig. he really didn't know to just pull it back on the trailer either. folks gotta learn the hard way sometimes.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've pretty much quite going to any popular lakes/rivers or boat ramps on the weekend during the summer. Too many BRI's (Boat Ramp Idiots), and recreational boaters who have NO respect for anyone else on the water. Personally, I have always been concerned with being considerate of others, and hate to inconvenience anyone, so I've always tried to "have my mess in order" before I back into a ramp. One of the reasons I like kayak fishing is, I can launch lots of places where boats can't, so I can avoid the BRI's.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Back when Queens Landing was only 2 lanes to launch there was a smart assed Dealer that decided he would leave his rig in the water while he did a demo ride with a family. I called the Sheriff's Dept and there was a Deputy across the road at the other ramp that was there in a flash. Mr Dealer got his butt a nice ticket for obstructing the ramp. He was not only pissed when he got back but embarrassed as well. He loudly asked who called the cops so I told him I did. That was as far as it went.....

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
the title of this thread leads to an interesting thought on people being killed at the lakes.
It seems that boat ramp rage may soon be claiming victims as well as sorry boat driving? :p

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
the title of this thread leads to an interesting thought on people being killed at the lakes.
It seems that boat ramp rage may soon be claiming victims as well as sorry boat driving? :p
Would not doubt that if it has not already happened.
But being boat ramps are part of the lake and being on the water it is all one in the same.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Being inconsiderate at the ramp is one thing. Driving dangerously on the water and injuring or killing yourself and others is completely different.

I spend most of my time on the lake in the cooler months, so I really haven't seen a lot of the crazy stuff. A holiday weekend in the summer is not really when I want to be out there.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I lived for a while in Mount Pleasant, SC. Fresh water boat landings are child’s play. You should add a tidal creek and an incoming/outgoing tide to your matinee ?

Funniest was watching a man leave his wife on the pontoon while he backed the trailer in the water. She DEMOLISHED the trailer to the point they couldn’t load the boat.

Second was a guy with a 25ish foot Grady that thought it was a good idea to unhook from the winch before backing down the ramp. The sound is one I’ll never forget, as it came off the trailer. Boat sat there until high tide, when they could get the forks of the dry stack lift under it.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
But being boat ramps are part of the lake and being on the water it is all one in the same.

I beg to differ on that, boat ramp stupid is usually a separate disease that normally doesn't involve life and death. Boat operation is definitely a life and death situation based on some of the fools I've seen on the water....

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Second was a guy with a 25ish foot Grady that thought it was a good idea to unhook from the winch before backing down the ramp. The sound is one I’ll never forget, as it came off the trailer. Boat sat there until high tide, when they could get the forks of the dry stack lift under it.

Are you not supposed to do that? I have bunks and not rollers. I could see that happening to a trailer with rollers on a steep ramp.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Are you not supposed to do that? I have bunks and not rollers. I could see that happening to a trailer with rollers on a steep ramp.

I've put many in and out with the winch unhooked, all on carpeted bunks. BUT, the trailer I now have has nylon capped bunks and the boat will slide off if it's not connected, especially when coming off the water.

double

Twelve Pointer
Just don’t try it when it’s cold. [emoji6]

Been there done that. We took my buddy’s boat duck hunting and had our third back the trailer in. Apparently the water from when we put in had frozen. In a hurry we drive onto the trailer and didnt hook the front. We got halfway out of the water and the trailer went forward but the boat didnt. Luckily the boat was light enough and had just enough in the water that we pushed it in and loaded her back up. I have never loaded a boat without hooking up again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My thoughts about the boat ramp stupidity vs. on the water safety is, if someone is that inconsiderate at the boat ramp, they probably are not going to be very considerate on the water either. I'm not talking about stuff we have all done from time to time, like forgetting to put in the drain plug. I'm speaking of the blatant inconsiderate stuff. I've been anchored up and fishing and had recreational boaters fly by me so fast and close that their wake nearly threw me out of my seat. Folks like that think the world should, and does, revolve around them.