Worst Spent Money

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
It's not the most worst money I've ever spent, but it was a total waste and it was hunting-related so that's the one I'm going with. This past fall I bought a plastic "glide" thing that is supposed to make dragging a deer out of the woods easier by reducing friction. I had always wanted to try one so I found one online and bought it. A short while later I killed the buck I was hunting and after I notched my tag and took a pic I fished around in my backpack and pulled out the glide...or whatever it was called. I removed it from the package and tied it to the deer as per the instructions and dragged the buck literally 5 feet before the thing self-destructed. Like dandelion spores in the wind. I figured the thing must have been in the online store I purchased it from for many, many years and had just dry rotted while in the package. I ended up walking back to my truck and getting my trusty cart and rolling the buck out.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Recently mine is obvious. With a new grill, and learning how to actually grill things (not cook them) I invested in 2 different "webber" grill thermometers (because they were on the shelf at HD or Lowes). The first one did alright, for about a month, then stopped working. So I upgraded to the $90 version, assuming it would be twice as good as one half that price. STUPID! That thing would NOT link up with my phone for HOURS sometimes! Even though my phone would be RIGHT next to it trying to bluetooth connect. When it DID actually connect, and I could cook, it would drop connectivity if I went more than 10 feet away from the probe. I was SO happy to throw that thing out yesterday! I know own a GrillEye and my problem is solved.

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
Recently mine is obvious. With a new grill, and learning how to actually grill things (not cook them) I invested in 2 different "webber" grill thermometers (because they were on the shelf at HD or Lowes). The first one did alright, for about a month, then stopped working. So I upgraded to the $90 version, assuming it would be twice as good as one half that price. STUPID! That thing would NOT link up with my phone for HOURS sometimes! Even though my phone would be RIGHT next to it trying to bluetooth connect. When it DID actually connect, and I could cook, it would drop connectivity if I went more than 10 feet away from the probe. I was SO happy to throw that thing out yesterday! I know own a GrillEye and my problem is solved.

Grill thermometer? Cost you your entire man card or did they just shave a corner off?

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
A $1300 custom Fox Triple Crown longbow that I had practically slobbered over for 5 years and then, when I finally got it, I found that the grip just absolutely would not work for me.....

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
bought a new 4 runner 2 years ago ....last year wife went to get in it and a large diamond pattern snake was wrapped around her steering wheel ...it went into her dash not to be seen again...paid 300 to get a snake wrangler to try to find it no luck...put glue traps all over inside vehicle 2 weeks later still no snake ...could still smell his musty oder so he was still in there so we traded it in on a new 4 runner....we owned it 11 months and had paid over 8000 dollars on it but we have a shiny new one now....pitty the sucker that bought the snake ride 1 year old 13000 miles what a deal

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Bought 2 Stoeger guns on the same day. Found out the next day that neither worked. They are at the repair center but I was told they are backlogged and it might be another month before they can look at them.

I threw away an academic scholarship to go to a different school...then finished up at the original school. Could have went there for free.

Not a total waste....I learned much more design and technical stuff that has really helped me understand some things in my career that I wouldn’t have otherwise.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
A knockoff brand muzzle loader with pre-mounted 3x9 scope. We never did find a load the gun really liked...but found one that would get shots on a pie plate at 100 yards. The first time I took it hunting the crappy rings and bases vibrated loose around the scope during the ATV ride to the back field. Ended up gut shooting a doe at 50 yards and then the scope, rings and bases fell off the rail into my hands.

I will never buy nor have a pre-mounted scope on any rifle.

guyo

Ten Pointer
Yup that man couldn't find a Gun underwater if it was swimming next to him wrote off all my guns as a loss, and still had to pay for his time. sad

Ambush

Twelve Pointer
Metal detector. Bought it used $350 and thought I'd find unlimited treasures. Wife reminded me for a decade.

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Back when I was field trialing heavy, I went to Mississippi and spent a sum of money on a dog. Ended up being about the dumbest thing I ever did. Dog was dang good, but just won't ever do it again. I raised pups off of him that were MUCH better than him.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Multiple used mowers and power tools. Additionally the same could be said for the money well spent thread.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Bought a lot of stuff that turned out to be crap over the years, well when I was younger. Now I'm just suspicious of what all ads claim. LOL

I did buy a mud motor from a guy in Macon, Georgia. Forgot the name, planted some where in the dark spaces of my mind to keep me from making a drive to wind up in prison the rest of my life. Needless to say, I'm pretty sure the guy is out of business. Every aspect of that transaction was awful from shipping (months due to lost invoices) to getting something I had to modify to be able to use it safely.

Next is not all bad I did enjoy my education and the jobs I have worked because of it. However, if I would have bought the farm beside my parents house instead, I could have retired in the same amout of time. I could have got the farm for what it cost me to go to college. A developer bought it and made near 2 million dollars on it. Still kick my but for not seeing that one coming.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
After spending time at the a dog track in Fla. my bother talked me into buying a retied greyhound with him to cross on a walker foxhound got a litter of puppies of of them fastest hounds I ever owned but they barked like chihuahuas ended up giving them to a guy in Kansas that ran yotes by sight and my wife made a house dog out of the greyhound.