How much are yall willing to spend?

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
I hunt my own land and the land of friends and neighbors for free. I have the money, but paying isn't worth it to me as long as I have SOME PLACE to hunt -- and I'll own land as long as I can. For me, it's all about being out in the woods.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
exact thing I told the fellows down in SC over breakfast last weekend,,,,here we are, up and at the clubhouse at 3AM so we were first in line to pick an area,,,all for a bird we can but at the store for $1 a pound most years!!

My buddy and I always joke about how much we're paying per pound of deer meat. Each time we shoot a deer, we'll say something like the meat now cost only $450 per pound instead of $500.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Never said it was foolish. Its your money spend it how you like. I was just wonder what people are willing to pay. Like I said my only concern is with higher and higher lease prices at What point would you call it quits.

There are two sides to every coin. While hunters can complain about lease prices, the landowner is getting more into his pocket for his land. Capitalism working again.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
This reminds me of, or makes me relate the thread about paying an extra $2500 a month on his mortgage. His 1$ is a lot and I mean a lot different than my $1.
I cannot afford a lease or club. Guess I could but I would have to sacrifice a lot. I just pull my weight when I’m invited. And knock on doors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
My buddy and I always joke about how much we're paying per pound of deer meat. Each time we shoot a deer, we'll say something like the meat now cost only $450 per pound instead of $500.

That's amortization :)

While I believe some do hunt for mere subsistence, there are a few around that try to fool themselves and teeter the line of the 'you can't eat antlers crowd'. All to often I hear guys say they hunt for meat as if there is some reason they have to justify spending more money annually on deer but not seeing bucks (or any deer for that matter) like Familyman ;) I think this is the part others are saying the grocery store is cheaper. Hell, the grocery store is cheaper than the prices I command for my steaks and thankfully I have wonderful repeat customers.

The hunting gimmick industry is a money maker. Their survival depends on people that think the product will make them see bigger bucks, easier hunt, etc. I'm not innocent of this because I own a Butt Out since inception and I've never even used the thing.

Hunting is a big stimulus for rural economies. Leasing out land puts a little extra cash in a farmer's pocket. While I think some lease prices are outrageous, I can't fault the landowner for squeezing every drop out of that lemon. Nor can I fault somebody trying to secure access.

Of the tens of thousand of dollars you spent, did it make you a better hunter? Probably not but did you enjoy it?

My current deer rifle's amortization is down to about $160 per deer. Getting about that time to buy another one ;)

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
I own a Butt Out since inception and I've never even used the thing.

The butt out tool reminds me of my father, may he rest in peace. He was forever scolding us boys for not properly field dressing our deer by skipping the gross job of coring the dead deer's anus. LOL.

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
I don't discuss how much I spend to hunt of a year,,,,here, there, everywhere,,,,my wife might see the total!! :LOL::LOL::eek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
My new bride just filed our taxes jointly and had the nerve to ask what happened to the money you make so I had to confess I blew it all on hunting, fishing and drinking. Occasionally I had to make a non-essential mortgage payment.?. Maybe she will be around after turkey season .

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
The butt out tool reminds me of my father, may he rest in peace. He was forever scolding us boys for not properly field dressing our deer by skipping the gross job of coring the dead deer's anus. LOL.

First deer I killed at age 13, my father started to demonstrate how to field dress a deer. As he was cutting around the butt hole, the knife slipped and he cut his hand deep that would require several stitches. My father said to stay with the deer, he was headed out to get his hand fixed, and he would send my brothers to fetch me.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you folks would pay attention to some of these pot stirrers you will see a pattern.

form me, I pay property taxes so I can hunt 1 piece of land and I married a girl who's parents own some land.

bertienchunter

Twelve Pointer
i pay about $2000 a year in leases. That's a dog club in Va, a dog club in NC and a still hunting club in NC.

Add the dog food and vet bills for my dogs and I'm sure I am over $4000 per year. Gotta pay to play

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
IMHO $4,000 a year for a lease in GA (Or anywhere in the SE) that I have to share with other people is laughable. I spend...a lot...on leases every year, I have about a dozen of them. I pay less than that total for a 650 acre tract in southern Iowa. I don't know what kind of deer are coming off the GA piece, but I'd bet it's not multiple booners per year. there is certainly value in well managed property, but to me it has to be put in perspective...well managed compared to what? I wouldn't pay $4k a year (per person) for a farm in Iowa unless it had guaranteed 180+ inchers on it every year. You can go on a heck of a guided hunt for $4k. My largest farm I lease for $9,500, but it's 1100 contiguous acres in Iowa, and split between 6 people, so it's still only a little over $1500/person. 4k per person is crazy IMO.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
apples and oranges
iowa and GA

we all know there are fine deer in Iowa,,,heck watched a feller kill two 150+ deer in two days there,,,,

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
I would not pay it but I completely get why one would pay it. But there are other things in life I'll pay dearly for to have the way I want.

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
apples and oranges
iowa and GA

we all know there are fine deer in Iowa,,,heck watched a feller kill two 150+ deer in two days there,,,,
That's exactly my point. If ground isn't worth 4k per person in IA, why would it be worth that in GA? IA is arguably the most valuable deer hunting dirt on earth.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Would you pay cash for that or financing to pay for it.

450$ a pound for deer meat is high....

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
IMHO $4,000 a year for a lease in GA (Or anywhere in the SE) that I have to share with other people is laughable. I spend...a lot...on leases every year, I have about a dozen of them. I pay less than that total for a 650 acre tract in southern Iowa. I don't know what kind of deer are coming off the GA piece, but I'd bet it's not multiple booners per year. there is certainly value in well managed property, but to me it has to be put in perspective...well managed compared to what? I wouldn't pay $4k a year (per person) for a farm in Iowa unless it had guaranteed 180+ inchers on it every year. You can go on a heck of a guided hunt for $4k. My largest farm I lease for $9,500, but it's 1100 contiguous acres in Iowa, and split between 6 people, so it's still only a little over $1500/person. 4k per person is crazy IMO.

That's exactly my point. If ground isn't worth 4k per person in IA, why would it be worth that in GA? IA is arguably the most valuable deer hunting dirt on earth.

Unless you know the total acreage of a club or the total membership, you cannot say $4k per member is a bad deal. For all we know, it's huge in total acreage, and the membership total is low. There are clubs from leases in the SE that are ten to twenty times bigger than your largest Iowa lease.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
I saw an ad for some property up by my own hunting place. Has a cabin, barn, on a pond, pump well and is 178 acres, off the beaten path. They are asking $230k Canadian for it. No road to it, need to go down old road concession and across a beaver dam.
So $1300 an acre, legit chance of shooting a 150" deer every year with some being shot in the general area over 190"
Then i look at my property, 160 acres no building, but has road access and biggest shot off it was a 196" and have shot some decent 140/150's
I paid $156 an acre, and if i was to try and sell it today i might be lucky to get $300, but if i hear of that place selling for anything close, i might throw an ad out there asking for $1200 an acre.
People will spend what they can afford regardless of what others may or may not be able to afford, its a sellers market

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I read these threads and shake my head. Seems some people think theirs is the only way or the best way and just enjoy arguing. If a man lives right next door to GA and wants to pay $4K to hunt then that is his prerogative. No right or wrong. If there are better deer in another state that is a lot further away but he doesn't want to drive then that's his call. There is no right nor wrong to any of this. Just peoples own agendas and what they want. I just don't understand all the fuss about what someone else wants to do.

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
Unless you know the total acreage of a club or the total membership, you cannot say $4k per member is a bad deal. For all we know, it's huge in total acreage, and the membership total is low. There are clubs from leases in the SE that are ten to twenty times bigger than your largest Iowa lease.
I can say it's a bad deal for me. Maybe not for somebody else. Even if said property is 20,000 acres...chances of shooting a booner are still much less than on 200 acres of well managed Iowa ground, so still wouldn't be worth it to me. my $4k would be better spent elsewhere. Now if GA was the only place I was ever able to hunt, and said property was the best of the best...chances are I probably would pay it, but such is not the case, so for me, it's a bad deal.