"Red Wolf" restoration scandal

Status
Not open for further replies.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
It is neither unreasonable nor misguided to question his personal motives for attacking the red wolf program, nor is it unreasonable to question the possible truthfulness of some of his more outlandish claims that he has made to advance his campaign (is it true or is it not true that real estate developers as a group are known to stretch the truth in pursuit of making money?)
It is also true that corruption and poor business practices plauge non profit organizations.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
From what i have found 400 were captured in Texas/Louisiana. 43 of those were sent to be a breeding facility. Of those 43 only 14 were found to be pure red wolf. That is what they started the program with.
Funny you can find all that information but lack the ability to google a simple acronym.

ECU_Pirate

Banned
Funny you can find all that information but lack the ability to google a simple acronym.

You do realize NEP probably stands for different things. Google ECU see what comes up. Even so, why go through all the trouble of not explaining it to someone who asked?

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
This was the 1972 range map

RangeMapOriginal.png

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

read this page...

Take 'em

Six Pointer
Wrong study, Nowak realized that in order to place the "new red wolves" in the ARNWR (Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge) the existing ESA (Endangered Species Act) rules required they be native to the area where they would be introduced. Hence the sudden appearance of red wolves on the newly adjusted map that showed NC as part of their range.

You might find it of interest also that of those 14 (founders) which were declared as red wolves morphologically, they immediately started having hybrid offspring which were euthanized.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
What caused the range to be adjusted?
The map was changed to include NC so that they could falsely claim it was being 'reintroduced'. And as to your earlier reference that "14 were found to be pure", that is incorrect because there was no DNA testing available at that time.

ECU_Pirate

Banned
Well I grew up in eastern NC and now live in the Piedmont.

Always grew up hearing about the red wolf program but never really knew all this drama associated with it.

Take 'em

Six Pointer
ECU, your have to sharpen up or you're going to give the Pirates a bad name here. Seriously, if we seem to lack patience, it is because we've been lied to repeatedly by USFWS over the past 30 years. Patience is exhausted pretty much with the entire fiasco. Read the 175 pages as suggested if you really want to know, and then you won't be asking unlearned questions when the answers are already available.

ECU_Pirate

Banned
ECU, your have to sharpen up or you're going to give the Pirates a bad name here.

Pretty sure I've already given them a bad name with some of the other lengthy debates I've been in on this forum. I tend to not share a lot of the prevailing views as many others on here when it comes to certain topics.

Not real worried about it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.