Moved Using dogs for deer

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I forgot to add many clubs especially in Va. use beagles for the reasons I outlined that I am using curs.

My in-laws club in VA uses both. Walkers for big blocks and beagles for smaller blocks or if they know where a big buck is hanging out and want to work it slow. They have pretty good success.

Wv67

Ten Pointer
I lived around reidsville for a few years in a little community by the lake and one of the guys down there ran dogs and invited us just never could work out a schedule together , Me and the guys I lived with all worked on drill rigs and was gone most of the time , I’ve always loved to hear dogs run , I don’t do the bear with dogs , my son and other family members do I’ve been a couple times it’s just to hard on the knees , always wanted to try the deer with dogs I appreciate the offers and responses looking forward to giving it a try

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
WV , I have close to 15,000 acres to dog hunt and a nice clubhouse to stay in if you want to try your luck. Most guys around run crazy ass Walker's that have had the hunt bred out of them. My group runs beagles and are a lot of fun and easy to handle.My family has been doing this on the same land since the late 1800s .We enjoy the fellowship more than the hunt, some one kill's one we celebrate, no one kills one we celebrate, some one misses we give them a hard time and celebrate, first and foremost we are safe and enjoy the sound of the hounds and the company of family and friends. I feel a family that spends that much time together isn't as common as it was when I was growing up
Man 15k acres is a ton of land....mind if I ask where?

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Hunting with dogs is exciting. Hunting and then harvesting a mature 3 yr old buck with hounds is about as tough as hunting gets. Funny how one deer can make fools out of 15 hunters and half a dozen Walker hounds. :geek:

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
My best friend and I used to lease around 400 acres of land in Granville County where the land owner didn't allow running deer with dogs, which is what we had been looking for. The bordering land (300 acres) to the east didn't allow any hunting, so it was like having a sanctuary beside us and made our lease hunt bigger than it was. The guys in the area dog club would line up on the neighboring property to the north, then turn dogs out on the south side of our lease, to get dogs to push the deer off our lease towards their guns. It thoroughly p!$$ed me off. They always denied that was their plan, but we knew better. We never heard any dogs running until right at the property line and we never saw a mass of trucks at the neighbor's unless dogs were running. That land owner had to find somebody else to lease to, which was a shame, because it was a great place to hunt. We always got the best bucks during bow and black powder season, because once gun season started, the dogs started running, the only way we'd see good bucks was on trail camera pictures at night.

I get hunting with dogs and have done it a bunch on a huge lease in Halifax County when I was younger. It works great in the right place, but that group in Granville wasn't being good neighbors. I changed where I hunt because of it.

Jim

nontypical

Ten Pointer
My best friend and I used to lease around 400 acres of land in Granville County where the land owner didn't allow running deer with dogs, which is what we had been looking for. The bordering land (300 acres) to the east didn't allow any hunting, so it was like having a sanctuary beside us and made our lease hunt bigger than it was. The guys in the area dog club would line up on the neighboring property to the north, then turn dogs out on the south side of our lease, to get dogs to push the deer off our lease towards their guns. It thoroughly p!$$ed me off. They always denied that was their plan, but we knew better. We never heard any dogs running until right at the property line and we never saw a mass of trucks at the neighbor's unless dogs were running. That land owner had to find somebody else to lease to, which was a shame, because it was a great place to hunt. We always got the best bucks during bow and black powder season, because once gun season started, the dogs started running, the only way we'd see good bucks was on trail camera pictures at night.

I get hunting with dogs and have done it a bunch on a huge lease in Halifax County when I was younger. It works great in the right place, but that group in Granville wasn't being good neighbors. I changed where I hunt because of it.

Jim
That very same thing happened to me. I left a beautiful lease for this same reason.

team muddy creek

Twelve Pointer
I enjoy both types of hunting. I have hunted with nccatfishers club in Scotland County. They are a great bunch of guys. If i diddn't have such a janked up work schedule i'd be in the club. I try to go as a guest at least once a year. Always some action going on.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Anybody can sit there and wait for a dog to hunt up a deer for them to kill. Not that hard. And I have absolutely nothing against dog hunting if contained to property they are supposed to be on.

Dog hunting is a nice mixture between Nascar, offroad truck racing, and “rabbit” sporting clays with the fellowship of a team sport all wrapped into one. The tracking collar technology is really cool too. See which way the deer is headed on your 9” satellite image screen and radio to your buddies where to be to cut them off. Easy peasy.

There you go again thinking dog hunters kill everything they see or the first deer they see...sterotyping at its best but you don't have anything against dog hunters. Go back and read my second post...I'm not talking about killing any deer...I'm talking about killing mature deer in front of dogs that we have on camera compared to still hunting them.

I know you a big bow hunter. Got a question for you...what percentage of these mature deer killed opening week of bow season in NC do you think have had their pictures taken in daylight leading up to those kills in corn piles? Now lets take that same deer and give him a sporting chance...dump the dogs on him. That's what I'm talking about. Not so easy peasy anymore is it.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
There you go again thinking dog hunters kill everything they see or the first deer they see...sterotyping at its best but you don't have anything against dog hunters. Go back and read my second post...I'm not talking about killing any deer...I'm talking about killing mature deer in front of dogs that we have on camera compared to still hunting them.

I know you a big bow hunter. Got a question for you...what percentage of these mature deer killed opening week of bow season in NC do you think have had their pictures taken in daylight leading up to those kills in corn piles? Now lets take that same deer and give him a sporting chance...dump the dogs on him. That's what I'm talking about. Not so easy peasy anymore is it.

I’ve probably killed a train car full of deer in front of dogs. So give it a rest. I’ve been there and done that. My group killed 8 hogs with dogs last weekend. I’ve personally witnessed over 20 Bears die with dogs. I have nothing against dog hunting if done properly. Hell, I killed my first deer in front of dogs in 1985.

You are picking the wrong fight.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I’m also from WV originally, have hunted in NC for 2 seasons now. Mostly Craven and Carteret County. I still haven’t hunted with dogs, but I can understand it. The areas I hunt are often very thick, even while gun hunting most of my spots limit me to bow range. There seems to be a lot of game, but on public land they’re hard to find

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I must be doing it wrong because I have never, I repeat never seen a buck eating from a cornpile in daylight.
Heck I have seen very few deer period eating from a cornpile.

Reactions: jug

nontypical

Ten Pointer
MJ, my second nicest buck I have ever killed was standing behind a doe on a corn pile. She was eating corn, he was waiting for her. I think the trick is to not cut a huge shooting lane, and not to cut it all the way to the ground. Leave some growth there and the bucks feel more comfortable in my experience.

Ambush

Twelve Pointer
I must be doing it wrong because I have never, I repeat never seen a buck eating from a cornpile in daylight.

That's strange MJ. You must be doing something wrong. Bad corn? Like nontypical stated, I also try to leave things as natural as possible and we didn't even moe the lane I hunted this year. I started using corn 10-12 years ago, when a member killed a 5 1/2 year old buck we had been after. Three does went to corn and he was waiting 50 yards behind. The first buck I shot this year hit my lane and had a mature doe following him! I didn't shoot him that day because he had a messed up beam. Later I did when I realized one eye had been gored. I cut my teeth on dogging. My mindset is, a buck doesn't have a choice but to run for his life in front of dogs. Still hunting, a mature buck can make up his own choice of moving during day light.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I seriously have seen like maybe 4-5 deer in my life in a cornpile, but I normally don't hunt over corn much.
I did for a few years and never had much luck so I quit trying it. I usually just put it out in front of my cameras now just to see whats roaming around.

Ambush

Twelve Pointer
I seriously have seen like maybe 4-5 deer in my life in a cornpile, but I normally don't hunt over corn much.
I did for a few years and never had much luck so I quit trying it. I usually just put it out in front of my cameras now just to see whats roaming around.

That’s shocking MJ. We mostly use it in the fields and paths to keep the deer on our club land. I always use it in the woods. No feeders, just spread it around like acorns. Have had as many as 10-12 deer, with 3-4 bucks some days. Most of the time young does & bucks come in, then the old guy thinks the coast is clear. This year twice, I had three bucks 2 1/2 or older come thru feeding on the corn.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I did one of those back in 2003 or so,,,what a blast

On of my good friends in college dated a girl that owned 15k acres on the GA side across the river from bomb plant. To say we had a ball down there with deer, hogs and turkeys would be an understatement. We had an unbelievable amount of fun. ?

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Yeah I have never seen a nice 3 to 4 yr old buck in the corn. My brother shot his big 9ptr eating corn but it was on a cold rainy evening.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I have seen mature bucks on corn. I have had them avoid areas with feeders though.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
Its simply a cultural thing, no different than spearing Northern Pike through the ice is in northern states, or perch fishing is in the midwest (never met anyone that fishes raccoon perch heavily down here,) or mushroom hunting.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Its simply a cultural thing, no different than spearing Northern Pike through the ice is in northern states, or perch fishing is in the midwest (never met anyone that fishes raccoon perch heavily down here,) or mushroom hunting.
I actually know a few guys that do target raccoon perch here. They do it almost exclusively in the cooler/winter months. But if it were not for my previous occupation I most likely would not have stumbled on them.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
If you still hunt dog hunting makes killing mature deer a lot easier. A mature buck will slip around a pack of hounds that are running other deer,giving you a better chance of seeing him in daylight hours if you know where his beddingarea/escape routes are. Hearing the hounds run is allways a bonus and gets me excited for rabbit hunting.

81toyota

Twelve Pointer
Our club is in the upper edge of the eastern season Richmond/Scotland county, if you want to attend a dog hunt drop me a message closer to the season and I will be glad to take you on a dog hunt this year.

What club are you in. My club is in Moore and Scotland county.

81toyota

Twelve Pointer
And what’s a man gotta do to get in on one of these hunts don’t care to shoot just hang out and enjoy the chase

You have an invite to my club as well once season gets closer. My club is down in the southern end of Moore county and northern side of Scotland county

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Ah ok I'm in Whitley. I know a good few of the Morgan guys. I do enjoy our joint club hunts that we have when game lands comes in.
I am joining Hamlet this year also because a buddy is retiring and we will be down there running with them during the week.