Morels anyone?

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
No photographic evidence but it happened just the same.

My wife and I went to Charlotte yesterday to have lunch with our daughter, headed up the walk from the drive to the front door and right there, growing out of her mulch bed were about 20 morels within 20 feet of the door. Some were fairly small but with the proliferation of deer in her neighborhood we figured that if we didn't get them right away they wouldn't make it through the night.

Does anyone on the forum hunt them on a regular basis?

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have an employee that says he doesn’t turkey hunt because it would infringe on his shroom hunting....... wth

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
We call them dry land fish and I've eat bucket loads always found them in mtns or foothills had no idea they were in charlotte. We like the smaller ones better. We will freeze some for eating during summer them fried with pork and beans and cornbread are great

flathead977

Ten Pointer
The only mushroom that I care for. I don't get to look for them much though. My wife's uncle sends me some occasionally when he gets a lot.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Never found any around here but I keep a mesh bag in my turkey vest just in case. Find them a good bit hunting out west. Even started taking a dehydrator with us so we can preserve and bring home

KrisB

Ten Pointer
I'm a novice forager (I forage violets, wild lettuces, acorns, wood sorrel, and other good beginner stuff) and morels are on my list as the only mushroom I'll be looking for. I think I may have to take a trip to the foothills or the mountains sometime this spring to look for them though, as the Sandhills are not a place they would like to grow.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Be very careful to get right thing the false can make you sick. For some reason they just don't seem to do that well in most Nc I turkey hunt/scout every year see very few and most are runts in Va I can find them by sack full

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Yep, I have a Peterson field guide that says to be careful about false morels and describes how they are different from the true morels. It says to avoid the ones you see in summer and fall since most of those are false, vs. in the spring. But thank you!

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
I'm a novice forager (I forage violets, wild lettuces, acorns, wood sorrel, and other good beginner stuff) and morels are on my list as the only mushroom I'll be looking for. I think I may have to take a trip to the foothills or the mountains sometime this spring to look for them though, as the Sandhills are not a place they would like to grow.

I'm in Wake county, their here, there and almost everywhere.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
have a few on our farm in Chatham, but VERY few

grew up picking sackfuls in mtns of Va, Md, and Pa though

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Where at in wv and md mountains? I’m originally from up that way, and I remember picking lots of mushrooms.

dint say WV

All the MD public hunt grounds north and west of Frederick/Clear Spring/Thurmont....like.....Indian Springs, Catoctins, Green Ridge SF, Sideling Hill WMA, Savage River SF
oh yea.....
GO TERPS !!!

xbowhuntonly

Four Pointer
43a7d84fb2ac6d59282d507be9c1bad3.jpg
I can find a few in the mountains of WNC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wv67

Ten Pointer
They r common around here in WV I pickem for my buddy's dad every year those and ramps

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Since there are no pictures of the Charlotte mushrooms, it did not happen. And since I have the misfortune of living in CharMeck I will only believe it when I see pics with the street address in plain view, so I can go over there and investigate said tasty mushrooms. Just kidding!

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Surpris
Since there are no pictures of the Charlotte mushrooms, it did not happen. And since I have the misfortune of living in CharMeck I will only believe it when I see pics with the street address in plain view, so I can go over there and investigate said tasty mushrooms. Just kidding!

Surprised me to find them, especially there. Told my SIL to take a bucket full of the old hardwood mulch where they were growing and seed some rotten logs and limbs in the gully behind their house on the shady side. Maybe he can get some more started in another year. They have so many deer around their house that they probably wouldn't last long if successful. They've counted as many as 19 at one time, sometimes 3-4 bucks at a time, one an awesome perfect 10 point which looks fairly young. I have smart phone video of him but don't know how to get it on the forum.

They live in Meadowbrook but that's all you get.

ncbowhunter41

Four Pointer
dint say WV

All the MD public hunt grounds north and west of Frederick/Clear Spring/Thurmont....like.....Indian Springs, Catoctins, Green Ridge SF, Sideling Hill WMA, Savage River SF
oh yea.....
GO TERPS !!!
I’m from up around Savage River SF. Hunted, fished and stomped that ground most of my life. Did some fly fishing around Thurmont. Catoctin Creek & Hunting Creeks. Used to find sacks upon sacks of mushrooms around Bloomery, WV west of Winchester, VA.

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Surpris

Surprised me to find them, especially there. Told my SIL to take a bucket full of the old hardwood mulch where they were growing and seed some rotten logs and limbs in the gully behind their house on the shady side. Maybe he can get some more started in another year. They have so many deer around their house that they probably wouldn't last long if successful. They've counted as many as 19 at one time, sometimes 3-4 bucks at a time, one an awesome perfect 10 point which looks fairly young. I have smart phone video of him but don't know how to get it on the forum.

They live in Meadowbrook but that's all you get.
You should not have told me that...Meadowbrook in the Wilgrove community? Just poking @ ya!