How and where to Catch Poor Man's Tarpon

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Long article but has 16 maps with pins of where you can bank fish for Shad. I update it as needed. leave a comment on the blog if you like the info. LOTS of info.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Great post.

Do pink heads out perform other colors that often??

I think so.. Pink is for sure the best Head color. ...90-95 percent of the time you can get by with pink heads and white or chartreuse bodies. Sometimes they only want Pink bodies. and sometimes they only want spoons. I have only seen a handful of times when I really needed a shad spoon and Sunday on the Cashie River was one of those few days. I had to buy some spoons off another angler or I would have not caught much.

ECU_Pirate

Banned
Good to hear stuff like this from an experienced shad fisherman. I have had some paralysis by analysis trying to choose jig head and grub colors before. So many combinations lol.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
trying to choose jig head and grub colors before

I have squared folks up in the past when I was catching and they weren't,,,,I'd hand them a couple of what was working,,,,

seems they tended to be really old, or really young,,,,get the best smiles that way!

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Great post.

Do pink heads out perform other colors that often??

Our best day last year, i was throwing a 1/16 pink head with a a Kalins triple threat in acid rain and was out catching my buddy 2 to 1. I think he was using a white head. As soon as he changed to a pink head our catch rate evened out. Could have been a coincidence.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I have squared folks up in the past when I was catching and they weren't,,,,I'd hand them a couple of what was working,,,,

seems they tended to be really old, or really young,,,,get the best smiles that way!
Nice work....I have what I call a shad bag. Probably 300 dollars in heads and bodies. On the neuse last week I had 4 people getting lures from it. They needed them so I say " have at it" ....I went to bass pro and added another 90 bucks to it....you can never have too many heads and bodies.

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
Nice article, Mack - thanks for sharing.
I do have a serious question regarding shad, though. Why even fish for them? You don't eat those sumvamitches, do you?

23mako

Ten Pointer
Nice article, Mack - thanks for sharing.
I do have a serious question regarding shad, though. Why even fish for them? You don't eat those sumvamitches, do you?

They are a lot of fun to catch especially with light tackle. The community aspect with it is fun too, especially fishing places like Weldon on the bank (as long as no one is being an a$$hole)!

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
They are a lot of fun to catch especially with light tackle. The community aspect with it is fun too, especially fishing places like Weldon on the bank (as long as no one is being an a$$hole)!
"Fun to catch" doesn't do squat for filling my belly.

JD1107

"Fun to catch" doesn't do squat for filling my belly.
I’ve got people I work with who love them. Most fry the heck out of them or keep the roe to eat. I also keep some in the freezer for summer time catfishing.

Last edited:

ECU_Pirate

Banned
Im in the keep for catfish camp. Though i do it for spring time cat fishing. No better flathead bait than cut shad this time of year.