shad itch,,,,,,

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
water everywhere

I ran out of Maryland last night ahead of the weather they are getting this AM - so didn't go through Weldon, but on Monday the water was 3 ft higher than it was last Friday,,,

maybe in a few days if no more rain

ECU_Pirate

Banned
tar is at 16.5 and rising steadily. More rain today will only make it worse. The kayak launch will be under water soon.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
water everywhere

I ran out of Maryland last night ahead of the weather they are getting this AM - so didn't go through Weldon, but on Monday the water was 3 ft higher than it was last Friday,,,

maybe in a few days if no more rain

Expecting 1.5 to 1.75 more inches of rain for the headwaters today. Not sure if it will make.flooding too much worse but I suspect it will cause it to lower at a much slower rate

ECU_Pirate

Banned
Expecting 1.5 to 1.75 more inches of rain for the headwaters today. Not sure if it will make.flooding too much worse but I suspect it will cause it to lower at a much slower rate

Projected to rise another foot by Sunday. Which will put it into moderate flood stage.

ECU_Pirate

Banned
Haven't looked but I'd imagine we are on Pace to have another record wet year. This rain sucks. Rivers have been fishable all of about 5 days over the past 3 months it seems.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
I go out 264 bypass over the Tar everyday and its still a good 3-4 ft out of the banks....all this recent rain is keeping the Tar up and fast, not forecast to get back in its banks until Mon/Tues next week and then it will still be another few days to get back down to 5-8 ft and that's if it doesn't rain anymore.....and that is not gonna happen.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
If it doesn't rain for the next 4-5 days, it might be worth a shot.... My brother tried to fish last weekend at a normal spot and the entire ramp parking lot was underwater. LOL... This rain has been off the charts... Any serious March wind storm could do major damage here with trees.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
If it doesn't rain for the next 4-5 days, it might be worth a shot.... My brother tried to fish last weekend at a normal spot and the entire ramp parking lot was underwater. LOL... This rain has been off the charts... Any serious March wind storm could do major damage here with trees.

Sadly the models have 2-4" roughly over the next 10-16 days over all of NC more or less.......and thats being stingy I think the pattern could allow for a couple of pretty strong storms to move up the east coast...just need it to come in small amounts every 3 days so the river can deal with it....the NWS is calling for only 7 ft in the river by next Tues so maybe by Sat/Sun it will be back in the banks....

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
Went to Maple Cypress on Saturday (3/9) morning. Started at Pitch Kettle and only boated one. Then ran up to Contenttnea Creek and nothing. Other boat with us, stayed all day and boated 35. Dang slow with all this water. Also the water was VERY muddy, thus you had to put it on their nose.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
River coming down good at greenville. Huge tree on top of the kayak launch. Hopefully the river drops quick the next couple days to maybe Thursday I can try it

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
That's a good sized tree right there

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190312-124613_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190312-124613_Gallery.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 39

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Have a fishing trip planned the weekend of the 23rd. Hope its down below 8 feet at least by then.

Drove over the river today and it looked low enough and slow enough that i'm definetly going to try the town commons tomorrow morning for a bit. If I can just catch one shad this year that will be enough for me seeing how jacked up the rivers have been all season.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Scratched that itch a little today.I got 6 another guy got 13.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190314-115106_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190314-115106_Gallery.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_20190314-115055_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190314-115055_Gallery.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

ECU_Pirate

Banned
River is below 8 now. I have an app on my phone called riverapp. its free and you can set it up to show the water levels of rivers you want to keep track of. Will even let you pick which sections of the river to monitor.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Weird bite today. There were 4 of us fishing. Me and the other guy had position on the pier. We were at the end and caught all the fish. We basically would cast straight down river from the end of the pier and let it sink and just drag it back slow. Sometimes it might take 3 to 4 minutes to get it back in. No real hits it would suddenly get heavy and pull and fish on. He was fishing two white grubs I had a white and green jig and silver spoon. All but one fish came on grubs only 1 on the spoon.

JD1107

Scratched that itch a little today.I got 6 another guy got 13.
Good stuff! I’m going to give it a go tomorrow after work. Need a nice quiet afternoon of fishing to close out this work week.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Good stuff! I’m going to give it a go tomorrow after work. Need a nice quiet afternoon of fishing to close out this work week.

All fish today came straight off the end of the pier or in the mouth of creek behind the pier. The current is still way strong.

dcmayo311

Four Pointer
Going to try the mouth of Conetoe Creek on the Tar in Falkland in the morning. Hopefully the clearish creek water wil entice a few to bite a grub or dart or spoon. If anyone there sees a big guy in a Beavertail Stealth, come on over and say hi.

JD1107

I skipped yesterday afternoon due to high wind and house chours. Just got the boat loaded up and am about to head down the road to give it a go for a few hours. A buddy of mine caught 6 at the mouth of port terminal Thursday so my spot up river some should be hot.