A bomb cyclone hitting the U.S.!

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Stuff like this makes weather nerds cringe so bad......between this and the polar vortex vortex vortes.......one interesting tidbit about this event though is back in 1973 on Mar 14th to be exact they had the previous record holder that was beaten by this event, so this storm is beating the old record by happening almost to the day the old record was set which is remarkable in of itself....now back in 1973 about one week after the record setting low in Kansas a low formed off the SE coast and gave parts of central and eastern NC 2-3" of snow.....the last couple of days models have shown a storm forming off the SE coast in about a week, just like in 1973 and every once in a while they run it cold enough to snow in parts of NC from said storm.....would be crazy to see this setup repeat itselfs like that 46 years later.

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
Stuff like this makes weather nerds cringe so bad......between this and the polar vortex vortex vortes.......one interesting tidbit about this event though is back in 1973 on Mar 14th to be exact they had the previous record holder that was beaten by this event, so this storm is beating the old record by happening almost to the day the old record was set which is remarkable in of itself....now back in 1973 about one week after the record setting low in Kansas a low formed off the SE coast and gave parts of central and eastern NC 2-3" of snow.....the last couple of days models have shown a storm forming off the SE coast in about a week, just like in 1973 and every once in a while they run it cold enough to snow in parts of NC from said storm.....would be crazy to see this setup repeat itselfs like that 46 years later.
I’m not a weather nerd in any aspect, but I am sick to freakin death of everything being some kind of a massive catastrophe. It’s not a threatening lightening event, it’s a summertime thunderstorm. It’s not a polar vortex, it’s a winter front doing that winter thing. Channel 12 tried to pass off a “pollen vortex” last spring. It would be quite neat to have a near exact storm nearly to the day of one almost 50 years ago.

double

Twelve Pointer

To me the date makes it less unique it means those things happen this time of year. A tornado in December a snow storm in May now that is odd. A storm on the same day is just that’s normally when those types of storms hit. This one is stronger but I am sure that type of storm given not as strong is normal this time of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
To me the date makes it less unique it means those things happen this time of year. A tornado in December a snow storm in May now that is odd. A storm on the same day is just that’s normally when those types of storms hit. This one is stronger but I am sure that type of storm given not as strong is normal this time of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Low pressures cross the US every day, only two times in the last 150 years have two storms reached a central pressure that low in Kansas, both times happened on March 13/14.....the chances of a pressure that low though is probably more likely in the winter/spring so your not wrong that this time of the year makes it more likely to happen but we are still talking a 4-6 month window.

chef

Ten Pointer
I’m not a weather nerd in any aspect, but I am sick to freakin death of everything being some kind of a massive catastrophe. It’s not a threatening lightening event, it’s a summertime thunderstorm. It’s not a polar vortex, it’s a winter front doing that winter thing. Channel 12 tried to pass off a “pollen vortex” last spring. It would be quite neat to have a near exact storm nearly to the day of one almost 50 years ago.

for me, the whole weather establishment jumped the shark when they started naming winter storms and doing live reports from new york city when they get over 5" of snow.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Everything the press reports has to be bigger, stronger, faster and more menacing that the last. If there's not a name for it already, they make one up so it sounds more sensational!! More over used, worn out terminology than shoe leather....

Local news: If it wasn't for a police scanner they wouldn't have anything to say. Do I really GAS about murders on the edge of CLT?? Not hardly..
National News: I could really care less about a house fire in Russia or a killing in Ethiopia.... Keep it in the USA....

And if I see ONE MORE idiot in a pair of rubber boots or hip waders standing in the water while talking I'll hand them an extension cord...

I can't imagine any news person that can even call themselves a "journalist", regardless of what their "Diploma" may say....

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This post has to be a record of sorts as well. I'm not punctuation guru by any means but WOW !