To My Fellow Police Officers, Was This Worth It?

NCdoe

Ten Pointer
The little punk just didn't know when to quit. He asked for it and he got it. So he was handcuffed............He'll think twice before he spits on another cop. Cops have a hard life and deal with scum of the earth. I have so much respect for them and the job they do. Blessings to each one who serves and keeps us safe.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
My only issue is that you can tell that the cops intent was to bounce the punks head off the wall while in cuffs, and the cops bravado comment could hurt him in proving escalation of force. Now I completely agree the duchess had all that and more coming but the way it looks does the cop no favors, had the officer snatched him to the ground and skipped his head of the floor while getting him In that spit hood, well that’s different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Sad part is guy like that most likely learned nothing from incident. He'll now probably get a check that'll he probably use on parting and drugs when gets out jail and be in same boat again before you know it. And the officer may be in diffetent line work. Ain't fair but neither is life sometimes you have to be able to control yourself in that position with someone handcuffd. Dang shame he didn't think to put that mesh over his head when he was spitting in floor. Lot cops will likely learn from that there and do that in future only good that may come out this. Hopefully this trash was arrested for something that'll keep him in prison for good while with spitting charge added on

THHEAT

Twelve Pointer
I've been spit at and spit on several times in my career. After the first time spitting with no spit mask I've pulled the front of his shirt over his face and let him spit all he wanted. In a day when any number of diseases can and are transmitted by bodily fluids some of which may be passed along tothe officers family members as well as officers frustration with the court system, I certainly see why he responded as he did. That being said we as LEO's have to be above this type of action. Just bear in mind we are human too and don't know this officers mindset and what may have happened prior to the video.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I agree with everything pro-cop that's been said here. They have my respect and my appreciation for what they do to keep my family safe. But beating someone who can't fight back is just dirty. Whether handcuffs are on or not, the consequences for assaulting an officer makes it impossible to defend yourself when the officer escalates to fists or the baton. I stopped watching "Blue Bloods" a year ago when Danny started an unprovoked beating of a guy who would probably have gotten shot if he had swung back at Danny.

I’m in this camp.

If the officer would have:

1. Turn the camera off
  2. Took the handcuffs off and asked the little POS if he wanted to spit again.....
....... I’d have no issues with what transpired.

Just don’t beat someone who’s restrained......and be smart enough not to film.

As much as I loathe the POS in cuffs, the officer should likely lose his job.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I used to work on the Mental Health Severe inpatient unit, where all manner of violent offenders awaited transport eventually to the state hospital. It was a daily fight to the death, literally at times, with all manners of bodily fluids and solids flung at the nurses and techs that had to man that operation. As a male nurse I was frequently the one who responded to dangerous and gross situations since I was able to handle myself and help the others who weren't .
We kept a shower and scrubs ready for us to change into and they were used frequently. There were cameras on the unit, but not in the rooms except for the solitary confinement rooms. We knew and the patients knew where the real fighting took place.
I'm glad I never went the route of LEO for this and other reasons, and I'm sure the guilty parties could say the same.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I've been spit at and spit on several times in my career. After the first time spitting with no spit mask I've pulled the front of his shirt over his face and let him spit all he wanted. In a day when any number of diseases can and are transmitted by bodily fluids some of which may be passed along tothe officers family members as well as officers frustration with the court system, I certainly see why he responded as he did. That being said we as LEO's have to be above this type of action. Just bear in mind we are human too and don't know this officers mindset and what may have happened prior to the video.
You mentioned all the diseases makes me think twice now 8ve seen officers on live PD cap needles with both hands that is the absolute worse way to get stuck in world the departments need to be showing these cops how to single handed cap a syringe so their other hand never gets near the needle I cringe every time see it. Those needles been in direct contact with IV drug users blood and we all know they are extremely high risk for hepatitis and HIV. 8f anyone reads this PLEASE NEVER CAP A SYRINGE WITH BOTH HANDS hold syringe and scoop up cap then can gently press cap on by pushing is against car seat one handed

Wv67

Ten Pointer
I work corrections and have been spit on a time or two like others said spit mask , and when put in a cell an extra tray usually stops that kind of stuff real quick

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
The punk deserved it but if the cop gets jammed up over it, so be it. Part of what they’re paid for is restraint and their good judgment. If you have the authority and power an officer has you best show that you don’t lose control of your emotions.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
You never know where a camera may be. Another view. Knee and upper cut. Nice.

Jeez...

Smart thing would have been to pull his shirt over his face.

Honestly surprised he kept his job.
He didn't afaik. He plead guilty and avoided jail time though.

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Would the fact that he was off duty working security detail make any difference?
No - most off duty jobs they are still acting under Dept policy/pricedure as a sworn police officer and under their authority. Just hired/being paid by whoever they are working for. The company is “hiring” a police officer. Makes no difference.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
hmmm, can't find anything on the MSM about a cop knocking out a handcuffed suspect. Wonder why that is?

Imho, this is the absolute moment we learn cops are humans also (with tolerances). I believe in Utopia, cops are NOT allowed to have tolerances. I believe that is not possible.

I believe this LEO may in fact lose his job.

I am in no way except for donations affiliated with LEO's.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
hmmm, can't find anything on the MSM about a cop knocking out a handcuffed suspect. Wonder why that is?

Imho, this is the absolute moment we learn cops are humans also (with tolerances). I believe in Utopia, cops are NOT allowed to have tolerances. I believe that is not possible.

I believe this LEO may in fact lose his job.

I am in no way except for donations affiliated with LEO's.
Because he’s the least sympathetic victim possible. A drunk d-bag.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You can still assault someone with handcuffs on. Spitting on someone is an assault. I dont see a problem here.

The problem is the optics to the general public.

As much as I loathe that POS’s tactics, I can’t be complicit with beating a defenseless ( ).